rFactor 2 | Latest Development Update News

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have released their new update on the world of rFactor 2 development, including details on the progress of the ongoing graphical updates for the simulation.

Despite the dramatic changes that have swept across the entire world because of the COVID-19 pandemic of late, the team over at Studio 397 remain safe and well working from their home stations, continuing their impressive development of the simulation on a number of different fronts.

With plenty of high profile esport events having taken place using rFactor 2 amongst others in recent weeks, many could forgive the studio if they had to divert attention away from game development - however, thankfully, it looks like that isn't the case if the recent update blog from the studio is anything to go by.

Last month we did a series of weekly updates. Those have slowed down a bit as we fixed a lot of the issues that were reported and at the same time spent time to implement a few new features. We are working towards a public release of the new UI. Expect a release candidate towards the end of this month.

In that build we implemented some smaller missing features, fixes, and a significant update to the way we handle controllers in rFactor 2. In short, we have fixed the issue that if you plug controllers into different ports, the input mappings would get lost. We will get into more detail on all of these when that build is released.

Another thing that will be part of the upcoming release candidate are the new overlays. We’re sure you have seen them being used in our current broadcasts, and we are looking forward to everybody starting to use them!

There are multiple fronts of graphics development progressing at present. We have the core lighting review developments we discussed last month which have been continued in March. We are starting to see some solid improvements in the output. In addition we are reviewing the PostFX setup and making sure that everything is correctly configured there. The two of these combined will make a nice step up to our visual output. Some initial previews from those developments can be seen in the Portland images in this article.

Finally we are currently also experimenting with a technology called Screen Space Reflections, evaluating if it helps us to improve the way wet road reflections are rendered. In theory this will allow us to have more objects reflected, and a more visually correct wet experience, overcoming many shortcomings of the previous technology.

Content Update

Our content team has spent a significant amount of time supporting our graphics development but we have been working on a few extra things too. However the big announcement from last time, Portland is now very close to being done, and we will probably release that soon after our new build is public.

Additionally, we will be releasing a new layout of the Nürburgring – even more variety to an already full list of Nords layouts! Called the ’24H Support’ layout, it’s another short version of the GP – essentially it bypasses the Arena section and the final chicane.

Finally work is on going on a renovation at Silverstone! We are working on updating the track both in terms of visuals and overall accuracy, bringing it up to our current standards.

rF2 Update 1.jpg
rF2 Update 2.jpg
rF2 Update 3.jpg

Competition

Even though the new competition system is still being worked on, as we shifted our focus on getting the new UI out first, we’ve started ramping up our competitions. We’ve never had this many competitions running, and we are happy to see you all competing in them. In the BMW M2 2020 online Cup, the All-star Esports Battle and our very own GT Series, we are seeing superb racing being guided by our race control team that ensures penalties get handed out where needed and ongoing Balance Of Performance adjustments are being applied. This should actually benefit everyone, as we intend to bring such updates to the public as well.

In a good mix of both simulation and fast and furious esports battles, we’ve seen real-life legends such as Jan Magnussen, Juan Pablo Montoya, David Brabham and Emerson Fittipaldi race in our sim. This makes us proud. We’re not stopping here, the continuation of our GT series, more All-Star Esports Battles and more racing is coming up!

Original Source: Studio 397.

rFactor 2 is available now, exclusively for PC.

Have questions about the title? Drop a new thread into the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our knowledgeable community help you out!

M D Gourley

Premium
Finally we are currently also experimenting with a technology called Screen Space Reflections, evaluating if it helps us to improve the way wet road reflections are rendered. In theory this will allow us to have more objects reflected, and a more visually correct wet experience, overcoming many shortcomings of the previous technology.
This sounds great, as for me personally the reflections on wet tracks needed improving :thumbsup:

I have to say I find it unintentionally funny when someone in 2020 says something like "we are currently experimenting with a technology called Screen Space Reflections" as if it was some groundbreaking new technology and not something that has been part of game graphics for like a decade now ;)

Don't get me wrong, it's nice they're thinking about implementing it, it's just the wording is...yeah ;)

I have to say I find it unintentionally funny when someone in 2020 says something like "we are currently experimenting with a technology called Screen Space Reflections" as if it was some groundbreaking new technology and not something that has been part of game graphics for like a decade now ;)

Don't get me wrong, it's nice they're thinking about implementing it, it's just the wording is...yeah ;)

I was gonna say the same thing. That tech is in all the other sims already except for R3E I believe.

We might be seeing a 2020 version of Zandvoort being announced in the next roadmap. RL Racing, a simulator company situated at the track, has a test version of it running on their simulators and claims that the track will release before may. Here is a video they uploaded a couple of weeks ago, showing it in action:
Wow, that video was taken on about the lowest graphical setting you can select in rF2.

Just wish I could get the races to load faster. Its a very goo d sim, but I tend to stay away because of the long load periods. Especially with Le Mans and Nordschliefe.

Go to your rF2 root folder and rename your 'UserData' folder to 'Userdata_1'. Then go to Steam Library, right click on rFactor2, click properties, click local files tab, click 'Verify Integrity Of Game Files'. Then let it do its thing. This will take a while, and you may need to resubscribe to workshop items, but it literally transforms the game.

My loading times went from about 3+ minutes, to about 20-30 seconds.

Brent Mills

Brent Mills

Haha they caught me hook line and sinker. lol

Well I do like how S397 does keep plugging away. Says they are finally fixing that irritating bug where your controller inputs get lost when you swap things around. That should have been one of the first thing they should have fixed IMO.

Hopefully this Screen Space Reflection development will stop the game being a slideshow in the rain, but not holding my breath. Meanwhile in 2020 everyone else is probably looking into raytracing for their sims. :roflmao:

Personally I'm just bracing myself for disappointment when we are forced to use the new UI build in a long endurance league race. Can see the Red flags already. Fingers crossed though.

It is all going in the right direction I think just unbearably slowly.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 93 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 86 17.6%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 49 10.0%
  • €3001-5000