rF2: The Big Interview - Submit Your Questions Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Le Mans Previe.jpg

We are soon going to interview Marcel Offermans, the head of Studio 397 and the rFactor 2 racing simulation, and we want your questions!

The last few months have seen a whirlwind of development and improvements for rFactor 2, with some significant changes to the simulation taking place as well as a number of high profile car and track licence announcements - not least of which is the legendary combination of the Nordschleife and Le Mans 24 Hour circuits coming to the title.

Following on from the successful Automobilista 2 interview, I'm looking to tour round all the major developers and have a word about how things are going in their respective simulations - starting with a discussion with Studio 397 and their rFactor 2 racing title.

In order to ensure we get to the bottom of the questions our community want to know, I'm asking you to submit your questions for Marcel in the comments section below, and I'll do my best to ask as many of them as possible when we have a discussion next week.

Feel free to submit a question about anything and everything you always wanted to know about rFactor 2 in the comments section below!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Looking at AMS2 moving to the Madness Engine, ACC moving forward with UE4 and iRacing making some updates to include HDR/DX11/particles to their engine....where do you see the future of your graphics engine headed? Are you still committed to updating and improving the engine or do you feel it is still competitive with the pending releases coming in 2019?
Yeah one of the next steps is more effects in my personal view. Graphics is alright even though i value phsyics, FFB and audio first (without them there is no sim) but im missing effects especially. Bug splats on the windscreen (which is normal), dirt ending up on the windscreen, sparks and more effects that are related to racing and that does have small to big impact on the driving. Simulators have been the cleanest experiences for a long time. Its sort of super clean racing when in reality theres a lot of grit around it hehe. :)

Anyway, behind super audio with realistic sounding engines, transmission whine, shifting and everything else that give you a smile when driving off it would be so cool to see some more effects eventually. They are both signs that you driven for a while, they have an impact on the driving AND seeing sparks and such puts you into the experience even more. Just some day dreaming. :)

Can you make a cross-over/tie-in with one of the truck sims so that we can transport our car to the track inside the tractor trailer/Lorry? You know, spend two to three days transporting the car, driving into the pit area, parking the rig and setting up at the race circuit. Simple, easy eh?

While I understand that DLC represents a revenue stream to fund further game development, it sometimes appears that visual QC takes a back seat with vehicle releases. For example the infamous missing yellow strip on the Porsche GT3 steering wheel , or the overlapping fonts in many car displays, or the completely misaligned mirrors on all GT3 and GTE cars. They've all been reported ad nauseum, and never acknowledged or fixed. They don't affect the core (sublime) driving experience, but they do add to the aura of incompleteness and amateurish presentation that rF2 struggles to shake off.

Once some of the really pressing stuff like the UI is released, can we expect any sort of commitment to a QC pass over the S397 released vehicles to bring everything up to the same consistent high standard that we know the game is actually capable of?

Keeping an eye on the most subscribed workshop item reveals, that in the last year there have been around 12-16k sold copies of rF2. We don't know the sales numbers for the DLCs of course, but having ~20 people, programmers, graphics artists, business people around isn't exactly cheap.

So my question is:

Is the development of rF2's announced features at risk financially? Or is rF2's development budget secured for the foreseeable future?

Last edited:
Is there any plan with the adoption of the new UI and competition system, to allow the purchase of only the vehicle you are driving and the track. Using current DLC, if you want to plan a multiclass race at Sebring you are needing up to 3 DLC packs to even access the server. This fragmentation will only get worse as more DLC packs are released.

Ask them if they are planning to add sparks to the game cause i would love to see sparks exploding from F1 cars or when gt3 cars bottom out or hit a kerb and get bouncy. it would be a nice touch to the game as well

Great idea Paul :thumbsup:

Questions:
- Does it make a difference in the development to engineer such an iconic track and race the 24h of Le Mans is compared to e.g. Sebring (also a great race btw)? How does it make special to s397 (ressources, tools, special spirit within the team of s397. etc)?

- Le Mans is the highspeed track per se. Will the ai setup their car configurations to low downforce settings as well to match the pace of human players?

- on the pics we see the lmp3: will a wider ratio of the gearing be provided for this car?

- last one - although I know further dlc/content questions are not that welcome in terms of precise answers: do we have the chance to see this years LMP1 cars of the private teams in rF2?

Thank you Paul!

any plans to further optimize vr. while vr works fantastic as is, With some minor tweaks this could be one of the best vr experiences. Part of this is due to the UI as well so the new UI might fix some of the minor issues. Also and plans for new driver animations. this kills immersion in vr.

It would be so nice if you could make the track temperature working as expected and affecting the car behavior as it happens in real life, It's a pity that the BEST SIM regarding tires, FFB and car physics is still suffering the lack os such an important feature. The same goes for tire pressures.

Many thanks Paul and Mr Offermans for the interview.

Is new version of the qjed coming in the future?

I also want to know if there is any change to add rallycross and hillclimb content/support for the game?

Last edited:
There's been a lot of talk about the upcoming UI, but very few mentions (if any) lately of the new plugin system that was supposed to solve the issue of plugins not being able to draw to the screen in the DX11 version. Is that still planned? Is it considered part of the new UI? If not, are there at least some in-game replacements for the most popular plugins planned, like proper track map or the very badly needed FFB meter?

Are there any plans to improve the sound engine that seems to be basically limited to a very simple on/off reverb and to stereo only sound?

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Friday

Votes: 39 39.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 56 56.0%