rF2 | Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 Arrives This Week

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have confirmed another new GT3 car is heading to rFactor 2, with the much anticipated Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 set to arrive in the simulation this week.
  • Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo joins Bentley Continental GT3 2020 as new content.
  • Car heading to sim as paid DLC this week.
  • Ferrari will mark the 13th GT3 car within the title.

Not content with the recent free Bentley Continental GT3 release and sizeable update to the physics and BOP within the class, Studio 397 recently took to the big wide world of the Internet to confirm another GT3 car is making its way to the simulation very shortly indeed - the Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020!

Yes, everyone loves a Ferrari now, don't they? Well I certainly do, and the addition of the second car from the Prancing Horse to rFactor 2 is a very welcomed one indeed (alongside the existing 488 GTE), especially as it bolsters the already impressive roster of GT3 machines to 13 in number - a pretty nice collection of the great and the good from the world of closed top GT racing.

The preview teaser video released on Studio 397 social media suggests a release date is very close indeed for the new car. No exact date has been given as yet (trust me, it's not far away), so expect more information to come as we draw ever closer to that first opportunity to drive this impressive new racing car from the famous Italian manufacturer.

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

The rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for the latest news and discussion about the title. Head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum, start up a thread and let the community answer your questions!

rF2 Ferrari.jpg

Last edited:
That would nice for a change. Something from the 60s or 70s, maybe even with a resemblence of drivetrain simulation would be great.
Drivetrain Simulation? Wait . . . what? :p :D

rF2 does have a sense of "direct" linkage between the engine, gearbox and tires but, it still lacks modeling of the more obvious dynamic part (Oscillations). Those are easier to achieve in our steering systems than in motion and audio effects.;)

I wish they'd just makes moves to Rf3 , become official game makers for a few series and stop all this piecemeal addition that doesn't seem to have clear direction.

As has already been mentioned I wish you could buy some high quality historical packs with tracks. The make your own game thing seemed great to me initially but a lot of the mods are lacking polish, especially the tracks which look poor in VR compared to AMS2 and even modded AC.

I wish they'd just makes moves to Rf3 , become official game makers for a few series and stop all this piecemeal addition that doesn't seem to have clear direction.

As has already been mentioned I wish you could buy some high quality historical packs with tracks. The make your own game thing seemed great to me initially but a lot of the mods are lacking polish, especially the tracks which look poor in VR compared to AMS2 and even modded AC.

Yeah, I gave up on VR in rF2 sadly. I can have it look just OK on some tracks in VR, or have it look phenomenal with my ultrawide. Still would rather have VR, but the graphical upgrade by running on a monitor is just too much to mess with VR in rF2 anymore.

While I don't mind them creating GT3 cars for rF2, I certainly agree that if they want to get more people in they should focus on something else. I personally would go for more LMP content, more TCR stuff to add to Nordschleife races and on top something a bit like a Caterham, BAC mono maybe?

GT3 and GT4 are brilliant in ACC, rF2 needs to go another direction content wise...

Well they need to find a direction before they can do that.

I was messing around with it this weekend and while the driving is sublime, it really doesn't know what it wants to be, and what's worse is that even with the official content including paid DLC there's not really enough of anything in particular to be able to say yeah, go in that direction.

Why people keep repeating this crap? Not everyone enjoy ACC, rF2 players want to drive GT3/E in rF2.
And "going for another direction" is working VERY well for AMS2 huh.....
Thank you for the polite words I guess - not sure why I deserve that to be honest... :rolleyes:

And who threw AMS2 into the mix? To clarify (or repeat): I don't mind having more GT3s in rF2 - I love driving them as well in rF2, Nordschleife + 911 is my goto when I just want to enjoy a drive. Physics and FFB are so superior to everything else (including ACC) that rF2 would probably be the only sim I needed - but I enjoy complete fields thet match real racing series in brand and liveries with good quality, others do as well and I think rF2 would benefit from having at least one or two licensed series, like WEC and NLS with the whole range of cars and tracks.

I think it would get more people into the sim, maybe give the devs more ressources, fill servers, etc...

Last edited:
Drivetrain Simulation? Wait . . . what? :p :D

rF2 does have a sense of "direct" linkage between the engine, gearbox and tires but, it still lacks modeling of the more obvious dynamic part (Oscillations). Those are easier to achieve in our steering systems than in motion and audio effects.;)
Nevermind oscillations, it lacks any sort of punishment for misshifting. You can flatshift anything without grinding gears, and that's boring.

Personally I think that the smartest direction for rF2 to take would be to pursue new WEC/IMSA licenses and become the "official sim" of endurance. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but a) they already hosted the online 24h of Le Mans which was by and large a success, showing evidence of a partnership; b) the official cars that would end up in the sim (maybe the C8.R, newer LMP3s, future LMDh/Hypercar) would IMO still be attractive to non-endurance people; and c) it's a niche that no other sim (that I can think of) has pursued to the fullest. Reiza has shown that a sim can "focus" on a niche (Brazilian racing) while still catering to more mass-market interests (F1) and find success.

As another commenter mentioned, I think the M2 CS adequately fills the "slower modern spec car" category that GT4 would fill.

Well they need to find a direction before they can do that.

I was messing around with it this weekend and while the driving is sublime, it really doesn't know what it wants to be, and what's worse is that even with the official content including paid DLC there's not really enough of anything in particular to be able to say yeah, go in that direction.
Not that much with cars, I agree but I thought what they released as DLC tracks, Sebring, Nordschleife, Le Mans in combination with the official virtual 24 hours earlier this year would provide some ideas if only from a marketing perspective - get a WEC and/or maybe IMSA Licence (they even share the new prototypes), half the content is already there and they so far have only really been presented by mods in other sims and rF2 itself.

the gt3 remains the current reference with Formula 1 the ideal to bring a complementary offer and stand out from the competition: would be to move towards the new endurance category LEMANS HYPERCAR AND LMDH ...
historic category: FIA WEC 1997-1998
The Nascar sprint cup
and Japanese GT 500

While I never missed Ferrari in rF2 and R3E, seeing how good 488 GTE is in rF2 I'm excited about upcoming 488 GT3. Bring it on!
The next car I wish to see in rF2 is BMW M1, but they need to implement realistic clutch behavior first (I have the same feeling about any historic content)

Personally I think that the smartest direction for rF2 to take would be to pursue new WEC/IMSA licenses and become the "official sim" of endurance. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but a) they already hosted the online 24h of Le Mans which was by and large a success, showing evidence of a partnership; b) the official cars that would end up in the sim (maybe the C8.R, newer LMP3s, future LMDh/Hypercar) would IMO still be attractive to non-endurance people; and c) it's a niche that no other sim (that I can think of) has pursued to the fullest. Reiza has shown that a sim can "focus" on a niche (Brazilian racing) while still catering to more mass-market interests (F1) and find success.

As another commenter mentioned, I think the M2 CS adequately fills the "slower modern spec car" category that GT4 would fill.

I fully agree.
Even better if they would be able to get a hold of the WEC/IMSA license(s), and still have the moddable platform. rFactor 2 excels when it comes to endurance racing. Building on that would be awesome.
Worth noting that multiple people at S397 have both been a part of RDLMS (as drivers, teams and/or organisers), and the same with VEC. So they surely have the endurance interest :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back