RD Rally Championship Season 8 - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is very encouraging information! I think Codemasters called for silence to work on regaining the enthusiasm of its players ... Hopefully that patch is for our happiness! I agree with Xsara, without own designs it will be a bit boring a championship, anyway ... I am eager to compete in this great championship!

Well, supposedly there's going to be a new Road book on Monday.

But as I've said many times before, I can't see any news that would save the game for me at this point. Unless they change the handling of the cars, which I find very unlikely. I'd love to be wrong, though.

tease of the day: "We’ll be back here in the coming weeks for a more candid Road Book on what’s going on here at DiRT HQ," other than that i'm again in martin's boat and like ole mentions, this will definitely not make me fire up Dirt04 again.

Sorry if this sounds ignorant but is there issues with the physics on all the cars? I know that the RWD is pretty messed up. But is it the same for all the cars? I usually drive the R2/R4/R5 and they seem pretty fine to me.

EDIT: Looks like we can make liveries without worry. The best part of the patch in my opinion

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/938441392069726209

Last edited:
Sorry if this sounds ignorant but is there issues with the physics on all the cars? I know that the RWD is pretty messed up. But is it the same for all the cars? I usually drive the R2/R4/R5 and they seem pretty fine to me.

EDIT: Looks like we can make liveries without worry. The best part of the patch in my opinion

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/938441392069726209

I feel like the R2 cars are quite good, actually I'll even claim that they are good. Granted, I have no actual experience with R2 cars, but for me the feel good. The 4WD cars feels too FWD for me, there is too much rear grip on them. The RWD's are something you can write a book about (not a big one, but still, a book)...

Ooh, I won't have the chance to test just that the next two days, but if anyone have tested that, both in the Codies-stuff, offline and in clubs, and that custom liveries work. Then I'll remove my warning thread in the mod forum :)

@Xsara Obviously I can only speak for myself and I certainly don't want to act like some kind of expert, but I just don't understand the handling of the cars in the rally portion of D4 at all. It just feel very weird and unpredictable to me. One of the biggest issues is that it seems it's very hard to brake traction on the rear wheels, no matter what you do. It *is* possible to do, but at least for me it's incredibly hard to do, and even if you manage it, the front wheels seem to have almost magical levels of grip and the car just corrects itself almost immediately. It just feels like every car is an FWD to me *and* there's some sort of stability control enabled and it just sucks any fun from the driving a rally car for me. To add to that, the cars have a nasty and frustrating tendency to snap on you as soon as the rear wheels even slightly touch the edge of the road.

Some cars are better (I feel like the N4 Impreza is pretty good), some are horrible to drive (the Evo VI comes to mind). And it's somewhat better on the tarmac, at least some cars do handle reasonably well on tarmac.

And the sad part is that in the rallycross portion of the game, the cars handle just great and are very intuitive (for me) to drive. If the cars in the rally portion handled like the ones in rallycross, it would be an amazing and fun game.

Last edited:
@Xsara And the sad part is that in the rallycross portion of the game, the cars handle just great and are very intuitive (for me) to drive. If the cars in the rally portion handled like the ones in rallycross, it would be an amazing and fun game.

very true, add to that that you do the driving school in that fish sth. arena which - at least to my feel - uses the rallyx physics. one's mind gets properly boggled.

BTW the update process for D4 is still as horrible as before. It just threw an error, stating I don't have enough free space on my drive (yeah, I had about 50 gigs free before the update started, now I seem to have about 30) after it's been running for over 30 minutes. Well done, CM, well done...

BTW the update process for D4 is still as horrible as before. It just threw an error, stating I don't have enough free space on my drive (yeah, I had about 50 gigs free before the update started, now I seem to have about 30) after it's been running for over 30 minutes. Well done, CM, well done...

Applause to Codies :D

I also liked that the PC patch was 3 times the size of the console patch, even though the console patch also included the old 1.06 PC patch :p

Well, I will give my opinion about the physics, I am a rally fan, I have friends who are pilots and they tried Dirt4. This game is the closest thing to a real rally car, if there is something that when driving a rally car is surprising is the level of grip it has on loose surfaces, they will see what we see as skidding is a physical process that is not lost of traction but an overcoming of the barrier of inertia, except in the ice (Montecarlo). A rally car surprises with braking and grip on the surfaces that a common car would not have.
In my case it was difficult for me to assimilate this since I always drove in RBR and Dirt Rally and as many I suffered a desperation when I tried Dirt4 but the time and the tests (even more with a movement system) I can say that Dirt4 is much more real than that we believe, the weight of the cars, the locking system in the brakes and the suspension are very real.
I recommend putting 100% blocking to the braking differentials to the four-wheel drive cars and notice the absolute stability.

Until someone shows me anything even close to something like this instead of just saying "well you just don't know how to drive/set up your car", I'll maintain the car handling in D4 is off. You can do stuff like this in other games, you can obviously do that in real life, but it seems impossible to do in D4 (in the rally portion - you can absolutely do this in the rallycross portion). And it's not just the old RWD cars.

I mean...you can have more authentic (tarmac) rally experience just firing up R3E or AMS and driving cars like the Group 5, the M1, the Copa Fusca or even the Caterhams.

In fact, ever since the release, I've been asking quite a lot of people who claimed that there's no problem with braking traction provided you know how to do it and/or how to set up your car to make a video showcasing exactly that, preferrably with pedal/wheel inputs included, so we could all learn. I must've asked dozens of people until now.

I've yet to see someone actually do that. The most common response seems to be "well I don't have time for that" or "I don't know how to make videos".

I've yet to see someone actually do that. The most common response seems to be "well I don't have time for that" or "I don't know how to make videos".

Agreed. I just made this - it is not a complete analysis. And it's far from mean as a "RBR and DiRT Rally is superior in every way - D4 sucks". However, it shows how the Subaru Impreza 01 breaks traction in RBR, DiRT Rally, D4 and then some clips from real life, one with the 01 Impreza, one with an early Impreza WRC and one with the 95 model. Then the 01 Impreza real life powersliding, attempts to do that in D4 before ending off doing both exercises in D4, but with the Ibiza SuperCar RX - which actually works more like you would expect from 4WD cars.
There is also some setup fiddling with the 01 Impreza in D4 to try to force it to break traction easier, and more rear power. The rest, RBR, DR and Ibiza are default setup.

EDIT: Not much work have been done with the video either, I have just recorded some testing and mashed it together.
There is a reason that I've put it as unlisted :)

Last edited:
Agreed. I just made this - it is not a complete analysis. And it's far from mean as a "RBR and DiRT Rally is superior in every way - D4 sucks". However, it shows how the Subaru Impreza 01 breaks traction in RBR, DiRT Rally, D4 and then some clips from real life, one with the 01 Impreza, one with an early Impreza WRC and one with the 95 model. Then the 01 Impreza real life powersliding, attempts to do that in D4 before ending off doing both exercises in D4, but with the Ibiza SuperCar RX - which actually works more like you would expect from 4WD cars.
There is also some setup fiddling with the 01 Impreza in D4 to try to force it to break traction easier, and more rear power. The rest, RBR, DR and Ibiza are default setup.
That´s like it is!! D4 is really out of reality :( in 4WD cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back