DiRT Rally 2.0 Rate The Sims: Community Edition | DiRT 2.0

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite-DR2.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... DiRT 2.0!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Gave the game a 9 of out 10.

Dirt Rally 2 in VR with the Valve Index and SFX100, is probably the best sim experience available right now.
Hoping for extra content in the form of new rally stages in the future. If they do the same good job with as with the Dirt Rally 1 stages, i don't mind paying extra for some good old Collin Mcrae Rally stages converted to Dirt Rally 2 VR.

There is some great stuff in the works at Codemasters yet to be announced, it should be coming at the start of next year.

And I think rally fans will really enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Please share your secret info with us. :)

(And one thing I really don't understand at all are the complains about FFB. But that's all I will say about that.)
While I like the FFB especially how well it transfers weight changes to the wheel, I too have one small gripe. In RL if you're driving over a bad gravel road you will feel the ground texture, holes and such to a degree in the wheel. In DR2 I feel almost nothing beside the one occurance where it is way overpronounced, if you drive through a gate with the metal cover on the ground. Other than that I think it's great, so I guess it might be that some wheels are working better than others in DR2.

Personally I have a very different problem with DR2. Racenet is going down way to often for a prolongued time for my taste on weekends, and sadly that's the main playing time for me. And no, my internet is working fine for everything else. I once opened a thread out of frustration in the steam forum and almost immediatly had 50 or so very angry replies from other players not able to connect, too. And to add insult to injury, if you can't save your progress because of racenet it will save it on harddisk but if your in an event it will say the save on the harddrive is invalid, delete it and your event is counted as resigned. This can get very aggravating and frustrating.

Gave the game a 9 of out 10.

Dirt Rally 2 in VR with the Valve Index and SFX100, is probably the best sim experience available right now.
Hoping for extra content in the form of new rally stages in the future. If they do the same good job with as with the Dirt Rally 1 stages, i don't mind paying extra for some good old Collin Mcrae Rally stages converted to Dirt Rally 2 VR.

100%

It runs at a perfect 120hz on my index, never misses a frame and looks the bean. I too would gladly pay for the old Collin stages, Japan, Corsica to name a couple.

Awesome.

For me only a 6

- physics and ffb absolutely disappointing even vs part 1 (t300 user).
- melk a cow DLC politics
- pretty hardware hungry but no pretty graphics.
- Career Mode is .... nothing

- One thing it saves the game for me is - it `s fun with a joypad and chasecam. So if treated like a arcade game it´s still funny. Suprisingly good feeling with xbox joypad.
- Full replays in TV Format is another pro.

I gave it a 6 as well.
+ Rally stages and car selection is solid
+ Sounds are good
+ VR

- The ffb is uninspiring and i liked Dirt Rally FFB (except tarmac)
-Graphics although clean are a little washed out and don't look as good as they could
-DLC is ridiculous

While I like the FFB especially how well it transfers weight changes to the wheel, I too have one small gripe. In RL if you're driving over a bad gravel road you will feel the ground texture, holes and such to a degree in the wheel. In DR2 I feel almost nothing beside the one occurance where it is way overpronounced, if you drive through a gate with the metal cover on the ground. Other than that I think it's great, so I guess it might be that some wheels are working better than others in DR2.

Glad I am not the only one who gets almost zero useful FFB besides the overall weight shifting in the car. How do you drive a rally car when you cannot feel the subtleties of the various surfaces and surface changes?

Honestly Since they added some of the Iconic Rally cars like the Tommi Makinen Evo 6 "Personal Favourite" i wouldn't think, i would like this game if it did not have it. Downside about dirt 2.0 is that you have to have a Mod manager just for skins. While in Dirt rally it was just simple Search the file and replace. But on to the point i think it looks good graphic wise. Some of the cars are pretty bad like the Porsche 911 RGT tends to spin out on every Corner, it is quite Undriveable for me.. and talk about the Tarmac in 2.0 it's pretty bad.. Lastly i think it's stupid for them to release Cars as DLC Codemasters releasing the same Cars and track from the previous title is a Cash grab... but i'm not too bothered by it it's pretty cheap but sucks at the same time lol. I give it and 9 only because of the Evo. i have not tried it out in Vr recently, but i will eventually when i ever feel like plugging it in.

Last edited:
Rated 4, and that's only because it drives well, the physics are good, and graphically it's outstanding.

Negatives are unfortunately overshadowing this title.

It's low on base content. Further paid DLC content is just regurgitated, albeit "remastered", from DR 1.0. Original season pass is apparently now just a "half" season pass, and to get the next lot of regurgitated content from DR 1.0 it would now make this title an approximately $150 game for me. Codemasters can shove that where the sun doesn't shine - especially now that WRC 8 is on the block.

While the core of the game is indeed fantastic, it's been completely ruined by Codemaster's money grabbing tactics and a very consumer hostile attitude.

Maybe I don't understand, why would it cost $150? It costed me like 60 EUR for the game with seasons 1 - 4 which gives all the content, besides one or two cars I think and it was well worth the money. I also love that they remade the tracks from DR1, I would be really sad without Monte Carlo :)

If you insist on buying the content piece by piece, it might cost you a lot, but that is your decision. Same goes for shopping groceries - buy small packages, you will pay more, buy big XXL box you save a lot. If there was no choice, then there would be something to complain about. 60 EUR seems very reasonable to me for the amount of fun I get (many many hours). I don't really understand all these complaints about price...

For me it is 8/10 game, really fun!

I gave it a 9 out of 10 simply because I love the handling model of the game (except the asphalt physics), the sounds are great, the graphics are solid and the amount of cars in the game (with all the DLCs) is cool. Only downside for me is the "My Team" mode, which is really boring. But it is one of the few games of this generation I really love to play again and again.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back