DiRT Rally 2.0 Rate The Sims: Community Edition | DiRT 2.0

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite-DR2.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... DiRT 2.0!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

@Paul Jeffrey
You really should make it so that the results of the poll are visible when choosing not to vote. I have never played Dirt Rally 2.0 but to see the poll result I am basically forced to vote, which skewes the poll results. In my personal opinion you should leave an option to see poll results without the obligation to vote. Hope you can consider this for future polls!

The core driving experience, and the number and quality of the locations and vehicles is simply exceptional. It's a joy to drive in this game.
Unfortunately Codemasters has let the community down with a couple of stupid product decisions regarding Clubs limitations and how DLC is blocking modding - meaning it's been really unnecessarily hard to get the community engaged in Club events.

Rated 4, and that's only because it drives well, the physics are good, and graphically it's outstanding.

Negatives are unfortunately overshadowing this title.

It's low on base content. Further paid DLC content is just regurgitated, albeit "remastered", from DR 1.0. Original season pass is apparently now just a "half" season pass, and to get the next lot of regurgitated content from DR 1.0 it would now make this title an approximately $150 game for me. Codemasters can shove that where the sun doesn't shine - especially now that WRC 8 is on the block.

While the core of the game is indeed fantastic, it's been completely ruined by Codemaster's money grabbing tactics and a very consumer hostile attitude.

While the core of the game is indeed fantastic, it's been completely ruined by Codemaster's money grabbing tactics and a very consumer hostile attitude.
You can sense that actual team behind the title is very enthusiastic, I mean it has full wheel support and drives fantastic, and has so many small details, that people clearly put some love into.
I guess pricing policy was like that because it turned out into very-very niche product which Codemasters as a major dev, have too much risk to let it even happen. I mean they could easily force the team to produce a generic rally-type game to play with controller, with no cockpit view and simplified physics, hell, why even rally or racing game. Just release some generic online shooter, and you grab hundrends of times more sales.

9/10 for me. There's only a few things I would complain about, but unlike AMS, in this case I think it's fair to drop to 9/10.

(And one thing I really don't understand at all are the complains about FFB. But that's all I will say about that.)

• Deleted member 197115

it has vr
Enough said, that alone deserves solid 9.
I know simplified physics, not the level of the top sims ffb, this and that, but really this is the best rally game that we have seen in years, true successor to original Dirt Rally.
Kudos to Codies for not abandoning it after launch and fixing what is broken and adding new content.
And of course, thanks for the great VR. :inlove:

Voted 7.

It is a great rally sim out there in the market in terms of loose surface physics. I like this game a lot. I'd like to rate 8/9 for that.
But Codemasters left me a image that they care about money more than users.
For example:
1. Super deluxe version. What a joke. I wonder whether there is a super super deluxe version.
1. I saw lots of people complaining that they cannot get the new content every time there is a new content available on xbox and Window Store. (No way for CM to fix them?)
2. They removed quite a few nice features from DR 1.0. Steam Workshop, analogue handbrake, disable mouse UI, dash cam(they added it back in 1.9 though), Sequential or Manual H pattern(added several months after release), you name it. And think about how long does it (or is it gonna) take for them to bring them back.
3. They seem to only have a few QA for this game. Like update 1.9, dash cam was added, which that brought no-engine-sound bug. If they have QAed it, they should have found that bug. I can reproduce it 7/8 out 10 times!

Super deluxe version. What a joke. I wonder whether there is a super super deluxe version.
Deluxe edition only included Season 1 and Season 2 DLC content (and was always advertised as such), so when they added S3 and S4, they introduced the Super Deluxe edition that includes S1, S2, S3 and S4. Other games call this GOTY edition, they called it Super Deluxe. Nothing more to it.

Initially I wanted to give it 9, then thought about 8, gave it 9 , but wished I changed it to 8 .. haha! :) well one point won't really make a huge difference

I like it a lot, it's quite fun to play, good mix of being difficult and accessible. They added VR - which I haven't had a chance to try yet - so the only thing I don't really like too much is the price. Lot of content is extra DLC and it's not like it's absolutely new content. I mean yes they must have remodel most of the cars for sure, but still

So yeah, 8 would be probably bit more fair

There is some great stuff in the works at Codemasters yet to be announced, it should be coming at the start of next year.

And I think rally fans will really enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Sauce? Are you one of the beta testers or something? Or they hinted this on CM forums?

New (genuinely new) rally content would be cool. But it's obviously under another hefty price tag. What will it be called, Deluxe Edition and Super Deluxe Edition are already reserved :whistling:

I gave it an 8. The career could be a lot better with some team-management like in Dirt 4 and especially your own choices regarding which locations to pick and the number of stages (like in DR1). The custom championship lacks the ability to earn credits and upgrades. Rallycross is simcade if not arcade and boring because too easy to drive.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 373 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 515 38.9%