Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Automobilista

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite-AMS.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... Automobilista!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Gave it a very, very solid 9 from me.

Fantastic in basically every way, from the choice of vehicles and tracks, to the physics and FFB. But for me, it's the little details i absolutely love. The attention that has been lavished on this sim is what brings AMS as close to what my ideal title would be, as is possible at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, loads of stuff needs to be done to get to my absolute ideal, but... this is the biggest hitter as a complete package imho. Love it.

Hope and pray AMS 2 is just as good, but with better graphics. If that is the case, I'm going to be one heck of a happy chappy !

Watch out, subjective biggest AMS Fanboii Review incoming.

I gave it 8/10. It is my favourite racing-simulation!!

(+)

-FFB great

-polishing pretty okay

-sound blows me away

-driving feel is awesome, physics are great and not clinic at all^

-tracks are great and diverse,

-overall much non-mainstream approach (i see that positive, many don't, i think) but you can add many tracks, that are more "known" by downloading the Patrick Giranthon trackpack, it's great!^^

-cars are at consistent quality, there are not many exceptions...also the Car selection Interface is good for me

-it is a great bang for the buck for formula simmers AND grassroots racing style

-Also it has the best stock Supercars V8 (even if not licensed)

-modable

-track grip buildup system can surprise you :D

-interchangeable tyresets with limitation of their number in race weekends

-possibility to set a tow time, while ESCaping to the pits.

-AI is pretty decent, you can have great fighting with them, without being fishtailed and pit-maneuvered (yeah, i look at you, AC)

-------------------------------------

(-)
-"old" graphics(i'm okay with that, but let's stay objectively here)

-no VR (also no problem for me, i'm a single screen pleb),

-UI/stability sometimes bugs out, when changing profile, or switching between race sessions and time trial, also not every system is stable with it in multiplayer, dunno, why

-low participation in multiplayer outside of club races/SRS (even within) because the more non-mainstream approach, i think

-the keybinding list...ugh, i hate that thing, it is so hard, to find the right buttons quick :D

-no real weather system

I absolutely love this sim and it deserves a 9/10 in my eyes, but i gave it an 8, because looking at it through the more "mainstreamy simmer", this sim lacks some things.
Physics and Driving feel + immersion through great sound is so epic, when you start to get into it.

Reiza has done a fantastic job, to build an own sim on this old foundation. It is not just "rFactor1 with mods", it is way more, but you don't discover it at first glance.

Last edited:
Perhaps one of the most polished and under-rated titles in Sim-racing today. The consistency and level of car handling and ffb in AMS is astonishingly good, imo. The content offers so much diversity and many unique cars and locations, it's hard for me to convey how much I've enjoyed and continue to enjoy this title. AMS is not only about the racing experience but, also the driving experience itself.

The attention to detail is at a very high level and for Reiza to accomplish that on the rFactor platform is quite remarkable, imo.

I consider AMS to be a true "feel good" simulation because, that's always how I feel during and after playing AMS. :thumbsup:

I keep going back to AMS. The FFB is so good.
I really wish it got the TLC that Assetto Corsa did mod wise to keep it pretty.
10/10 for me.
It was really trying to push myself in the Lancer, trying to get better and better lap times and ended up setting a world record that I help for a few months.(17th now ;)

If only you could change the pitch on the cockpit view without editing config files. OCD won't let me play it when the on screen wheel doesn't line up properly. Looks a bit dated too, looking forward to AMS2 (7/10)

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 93 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 49 10.0%
  • €3001-5000