Rally - Possum Bourne Tribute - Mon 23rd & Tues 24th August 2010

This car is awesome. The acceleration... Up to 6th gear in a matter of seconds, on Mineshaft II, now that's scary :eek:

Anyway, managed to break the stage record even, no crashes. But it's hard, it looked so slow to me. In the rally, I always think something like "I bet someone else went through here faster", so I keep my foot down :D

Guys,

Sorry to bug you about this but would really appreciate any help to cure terminal understeering, especially when backing off for corners. Just tried greenhills and can't get around one corner without being like a stupid pinball. I brake down to maybe 50k or less, I lift off for the corner and car just understeers straight off. And as we all know these stupid marshals are so flaming bright they all stand on the outside of corners or new trees have grown there, I was sure I'd knocked em all down last time I went through here. Seriously though, any help appreciated.

Cheers

John, my experience is not to try to solve it by set-up , but by driving technique.
I find that these cars will understeer if you are going too fast into a turn and just back off the power. They need some power to pull them through turns, but of course, as we all find, these have heaps of power so it needs to be controlled.
My technique: (assuming it is a reasonably tight turn).
Brake early, get the car settled, and into a lower gear, turn in early, and ease on the power to pull it out of the turn whilst controlling the rear slide. ie. basically the powerslide technique described in the Rally School Lessons.

If it is a tighter turn, or I have missed the early turn in point, a quick dab of handbrake will throw the tail out enough to get it pointed the right way, then onto the power again.
The old rule of slower into the turn and fast out still seems to work for me.

Thanks Senad, will start there and see how we go. I'm wondering if somewhere there is a ' complete idiots guide ' to basic setups. Not all the involved stuff like geometry etc. Just a simple, if car understeers stiffen rear arb and springs. If car oversteers change this and that. Just very basic ideas to get people underway or pointed in the right direction.

Cheers

Maybe this will help: http://www.racedepartment.com/gtr-evolution/3511-racedepartment-setup-guide.html#post460181

It's for track racing, but the principles apply.

John, have you read the set up section in the RBR Manual?
It includes some basic info about what each set up option will do. However, something more basic in terms of which ones are the obvious first steps would be helpful.

Warren,

I have tried to. Sometimes too much information is a bad thing and I get lost just trying to figure out where to start. I forget which game it was in but there was an option of using a simple slider thing to adjust handling or you could go into individual areas. That would be great for me right now. I really don't have the time or the patience to have to learn to drive differently, especially if a simple setup change can fix my issues.

Cheers

SS1: a bit messy, but broke my record
SS2: bad, bad, bad... Had a roll around 2:30 into the stage, ended up facing the wrong way, on a narrow part.
SS3: okay, a few small issues near the end, as usual, but happy with the time.
SS4: one semi-spin, and a big moment at the end again, but overall a nice stage. Lukasz had an epic middle sector here, went from +7 to -4 from me :eek:
SS5: aw, almost a stage win on Noiker. 4 drivers within 4 seconds after 13km :D
SS6: nothing special. I'm just leading the rally! WTF :banana:

SS7: phew, clooose. I remembered I can fall off here about 5 metres before the actuall spot :D. Still barely ahead... Fingers crossed...
SS8: fail. And a huge one. Not only did I lose my 2-3 second advantage, I lost it like a pro, a minute and a half behind Hampus on the last stage. Was fun while it lasted.

Ah, this might be interesting. I hit everything and everyone on SS8, but somehow I managed to pass between two marshalls? Weird, will look it up later.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back