RaceRoom Racing Experience: New Update and FR90 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom FR90 Released.jpg

Historic Grand Prix cars are here in RaceRoom Racing Experience!

A new update for R3E has dropped today, and as well as including a nice number of new fixes, tweaks and improvements, the latest build release from Sector3 Studios is probably most notable for the deployment of some new DLC content - the 1990's era FR90 open wheel race car.

RaceRoom: 1990's Formula One FR90 'Talk n Drive' video - Watch it HERE.
(Note, the AI issues I experienced in the video have been resolved prior to public release)

Adding 1990's era top level Formula One style cars to the simulation is a good move by Sector3 Studios, and plugs one of the few remaining gaps in content within a title that is doing wonders to cover a wide variety of motorsport both past and present.

The new cars come with three very different and distinct engine configurations - adding the V8, V10 and V12 power units to the generic early 90's Formula One style chassis, and are available in a significant number of livery designs.

Of course this type of car isn't everyone's cup of tea, and if this isn't the type of content for you then fear not, the new build also includes a number of updates and fixes to R3E, of which you can see the details below:

New Content
  • Added the Formula RaceRoom 90 V8, V10 and V12 cars.
Game
  • Added a key assignement to Move&Scale HUD elements. Once pressed, the mouse cursor will appear. Left click will drag a HUD element around while a Right click will scale the size of the element up or down.
  • Added a key assignement to reset the HUD elements positions and scale.
  • Updated to Fanatec SDK 3.8
  • Added default profiles for Fanatec Podium DD1 and DD2.
  • Added support for the flag LED's on Fanatec rims
  • Added a key assignment to turn the displays and LED's on rims and wheelbases off.
  • Added Tyre loads to shared memory (using a reserved data holder to preserve backwards compatibility)
  • Added support in physics engine for different shift times depending on the gears being shifted.
  • Fixed an issue where brake disks were pre-heated to optimal temperatures when spawning the vehicle in sessions other than Time-Attack.
  • Fixed an issue where in-game web overlays settings would be lost with every game update.
  • Changed the amount of analog input required to register a key assignment from 50% to 25% of the axis range. (this is relevant when assigning an axis to an on/off toggle control)
Content
  • AMG-Mercedes 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution II 1992 - Sounds improved
  • Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964) - Tweaked some logos on livery #15
  • Volkswagen ID. R - Various visual upgrades to match the final design of the real car.
  • Circuit Zandvoort - Fix for a TV camera in the straight that was sitting a bit high.
  • Circuit Zolder - New static TV cameras
  • Moscow Raceway - Changed 3 trackside banner billboards so they show on both sides. Upgraded HUD track maps for FIM and Full layouts to higher resolutions.
  • Zhuhai - New static TV cameras

For more R3E fun, have a gander at our RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment. Here you can catch the latest news and gossip about the sim, and also take part in our awesome RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club - a great place to enjoy organised and clean online racing fun!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

The Ferrari 640 (also known as the Ferrari F1-89)[2] was the Formula One racing car with which the Ferrari team competed in the 1989 season. It was driven by Britain's Nigel Mansell, in his first season with the team, and Austria's Gerhard Berger.
The transmission to which it was mated, however, attracted more attention, as it contained the very first semi-automatic gearbox seen in Formula One.[3] In the first half of the season, it proved to be very unreliable, and hampered Ferrari's efforts. However, such gearboxes would become the norm by the mid-1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_640

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-...-paddle-shifters-but-with-classic-shift-lever

Our sound engine is made of in-house custom code mixed with a pinch of third party middleware ;)
Audio in racing is so important. Testing mods for example that has really bad audio makes the whole experience much less enjoyable, and in fact well made audio also makes cars feel like they go faster, or rather poor audio makes the car feel slower. If there is no rawness and power it feels like the car is weak and slow even though its going at the same speed and with the same acceleration as a car with good audio.

You should sell your solution to other sims, but im guessing when you sit on something great then thats a competitive edge, so maybe not. :)

At any rate great job, guys.

I'll always fondly remember what R3E has done with sounds, they are brilliant. But there's a new dog on the block and you guys now have serious competi(zione).
chop chop get to work my boys!
I would say the leading area of any sim pushes the others to do better in those areas (hopefully), and that is ultimately great for us. Kunos seems to have done just that and upped their game audio wise since AC. :)

Kunos have improved the audio, true. And in time, maybe they will also improve their audio mixing ;)

You mean the loudness of each effect? engine, road, wind, other cars, etc?

all I can say is that when I'm on the pitlane waiting for the sessions to end, I have a huge smile on my face listening to the amazing immersion. You can hear the cars from so far away that I almost believe I'm on track. The other game that does that is R3E but not to ACC level yet.

hi, first of all i would like to say what a mod, sector 3 you have done it again !!!!! FR90's are amazing!!!

But with this latest update i have to report a bug i didnt have before,
since the new update every time i go to watch replay's in game (instant) my FoV messes up, it goes mental meaning i have to go out of the session and reset it in the main menu.

Here some race from yesterday, it is very cool car! There's more explanation in the description below the video, we should do race with these cars

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 30 24.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 17.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 7 5.6%