RaceRoom Racing Experience: New Update and FR90 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom FR90 Released.jpg

Historic Grand Prix cars are here in RaceRoom Racing Experience!

A new update for R3E has dropped today, and as well as including a nice number of new fixes, tweaks and improvements, the latest build release from Sector3 Studios is probably most notable for the deployment of some new DLC content - the 1990's era FR90 open wheel race car.

RaceRoom: 1990's Formula One FR90 'Talk n Drive' video - Watch it HERE.
(Note, the AI issues I experienced in the video have been resolved prior to public release)

Adding 1990's era top level Formula One style cars to the simulation is a good move by Sector3 Studios, and plugs one of the few remaining gaps in content within a title that is doing wonders to cover a wide variety of motorsport both past and present.

The new cars come with three very different and distinct engine configurations - adding the V8, V10 and V12 power units to the generic early 90's Formula One style chassis, and are available in a significant number of livery designs.

Of course this type of car isn't everyone's cup of tea, and if this isn't the type of content for you then fear not, the new build also includes a number of updates and fixes to R3E, of which you can see the details below:

New Content
  • Added the Formula RaceRoom 90 V8, V10 and V12 cars.
Game
  • Added a key assignement to Move&Scale HUD elements. Once pressed, the mouse cursor will appear. Left click will drag a HUD element around while a Right click will scale the size of the element up or down.
  • Added a key assignement to reset the HUD elements positions and scale.
  • Updated to Fanatec SDK 3.8
  • Added default profiles for Fanatec Podium DD1 and DD2.
  • Added support for the flag LED's on Fanatec rims
  • Added a key assignment to turn the displays and LED's on rims and wheelbases off.
  • Added Tyre loads to shared memory (using a reserved data holder to preserve backwards compatibility)
  • Added support in physics engine for different shift times depending on the gears being shifted.
  • Fixed an issue where brake disks were pre-heated to optimal temperatures when spawning the vehicle in sessions other than Time-Attack.
  • Fixed an issue where in-game web overlays settings would be lost with every game update.
  • Changed the amount of analog input required to register a key assignment from 50% to 25% of the axis range. (this is relevant when assigning an axis to an on/off toggle control)
Content
  • AMG-Mercedes 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution II 1992 - Sounds improved
  • Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964) - Tweaked some logos on livery #15
  • Volkswagen ID. R - Various visual upgrades to match the final design of the real car.
  • Circuit Zandvoort - Fix for a TV camera in the straight that was sitting a bit high.
  • Circuit Zolder - New static TV cameras
  • Moscow Raceway - Changed 3 trackside banner billboards so they show on both sides. Upgraded HUD track maps for FIM and Full layouts to higher resolutions.
  • Zhuhai - New static TV cameras

For more R3E fun, have a gander at our RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment. Here you can catch the latest news and gossip about the sim, and also take part in our awesome RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club - a great place to enjoy organised and clean online racing fun!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

• Deleted member 503495

@anthony monteil
Besides the same question as above, I see there is no such thing as proper teams? Each car livery is different, sometimes they share a name but you'd be fooled into thinking this is Indycar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well purchased it looks fantastic but ended up playing with my wheel settings almost 40 minutes and now just gave up after checking windows and checking steam settings,
last time I played was perfectly fine, now just will not detect my wheel at all, I can place the settings manually but just dont feel like it did before so removed it such a pity.
fba0dce2113d482c3d8b1aa31cf1ce66.png

Fanatec wheel and pedals...I had the same issue and spent the same amount of time re-assigning buttons last night. Even then there were still issues.

Hoping they get it fixed soon.

Granted, they are a riot to drive, they really are... But I do think that beyond the different sounds they really do feel like the same riot. I don't want that to be the case, I hope I'm wrong, but they do feel very much alike. It would of been nice to have a few distinguishing features, V12 having the double digital rev limiter the Ferrari had for instance. But it's still great stuff.

Last edited:
Fanatec wheel and pedals...I had the same issue and spent the same amount of time re-assigning buttons last night. Even then there were still issues.

Hoping they get it fixed soon.
Yeah I assigned them twice, just does not feel the same for some reason so removed it,
tried the steam settings on the controllers in big picture that never helped or windows settings profiles,
restarting the PC twice and the wheel a few times also,
in the end just left, I was excited to test the new cars but no luck.

@anthony monteil
Besides the same question as above, I see there is no such thing as proper teams? Each car livery is different, sometimes they share a name but you'd be fooled into thinking this is Indycar. There should be 22-26 liveries per car series instead of 11-12 :(.

Yes, this is joke imo. I try to set correct starting grid with 2 drivers per team of all three versions, but it is posible to get only 9 teams and 18 drivers. I dont understand. On the second hand, if we must to drive this historical beasts on the modern tracks, we can simulate historical series in the singleplayer mode, so its ok :D

• Deleted member 503495

Also, before the mid 90's, it was common to see some teams with one car/driver only ;)

The Indycars in the game are about 50% of what is seen at a real race track. None of this is OK and you shouldn't be OK with it either as a customer and gamer. It should only take a few minutes for the 2D artist to double each field.

Edit: FYI I understand you are not responsible for this decision but you're our connection to the rest of the staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way I could get the car to go was with my sequential stick. It may have been due to the screw up of my button assignments but I think it was because at the time these cars were raced most of them used sequential sticks.
I thought early 90's they were predominantly H-Pattern with the Ferrari being the exception - i know the Williams team were also quite advanced with the FW14, but i thought by and large most teams were still rocking the H-Pat g.box?? You can still see video of Senna in 91 with an H-Pattern.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back