RaceDepartment New Website Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceDepartment.com will be down on Wednesday 30th October, as we look to bring a fresh new image to the largest sim racing website in the world.

Having undergone considerable growth and change in the last decade and a bit, we feel the time is right to take our website to the next level of presentation and functionality. On the evening of Wednesday 30th October (approx 22:00 UTC) we will close access to www.racedepartment.com for much of the night, as we upload and launch our brand new website!

We anticipate access will be restricted for around 12 hours, but if you still need that essential sim racing fix, take the opportunity to check us out on our various Social Media platforms, which can be accessed via the below links.

See you all on the other side!

RaceDepartment Down.jpg

I really liked the version prior to this one... maybe it's just that I need to get used to this new one, but I don't know... The Downloads section, for example, I think it is unnecesary to have to menus on the side, one for RaceDepartment's different sections, and one for the Downloads categories, it takes twice the space on the screen, which didn't happen before, making the downloads themselves too narrow, to the point you can't see to which category they belong.

Captura.PNG

So not only has the site changed for the worse, they've removed the ability to quickly see what each download is from the list of files. Before the new update I could glance at the downloads list and see if it was a skin or a track or a car.....now it's a guess and I have to open the file in a new tab to see what it is. Yes I know there's a filter down the side but it was far quicker and easier before.

This new format is terrible. Wasted space with the sidebar, can't see authors on the downloads lists, can't see who started a thread, etc, etc. I hate complaining about changes and rarely ever do, but all I see here is wasted space and less accessibility all around.

Am I getting the mobile layout on desktop or something? The site's missing all words in the top bar, it's just icons and a searchbar the entire width, and the forum itself only uses 2/3 of the available space.

My usual flow for interacting with the site is
1) go to homepage and scan news headlines
2) click "watched forums" to go to the forums of the 4 games I ever play
this makes that less convenient, and the previous design had already made it worse than the pre-2019 layout where "watched forums" was a direct link on the front page. I understand moving away from hover-interactions is good for mobile, but moving away from having any usable links is bad for everyone.

Found another problem.
G6znjLN.jpg

The checkbox on the watched forums list is unusable because when you click it, it goes to that forum.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea