AC Race #2 Fat-Alfie's championship@Bremgarten, Wednesday 15th September 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Next week event:

Last edited:
Enjoying the reports guys, keep em coming! Congrats with the first win Richard!

Gotta say this was an unexpected win for me, but happy to take it :)

Made a slightly edgy setup for quali which got me up to second in MX5 class behind Andre. Went a bit softer and safer for the race.

Was side by side with Andre at the start and into turn 1, but backed out of it and settled for second down into the quarry section. Just managed to avoid the spinning audi of @RasmusP but in my mirrors I saw what looked like the rest of the mx5 class taken out. Then Andre locked up into Elcholz and I was out in front! Lucky :ninja:

A lot of laps after that was just trying to put in decent laptimes while not messing up, and watching Andre cut into my 9 second advantage by about 0.2 a lap.

Was starting to get towards the end of the pit window when I tangled with (or got taken out by :unsure:) Ernies Audi, which let Andre past me. When I was blasting down the pit "straight" and saw him coming out of the pits in front of me while I still hadn't done my pitstop I figured that was the battle for class win done. Did my fuel pitstop at the last possible lap and was surprised to find Andre right in front of me going into the quarry. He must have had issues on that lap somewhere. Going into the righthander at Elchholz he had what looked like a bit of power oversteer which sent him into the fence, and I was in front (again)! Saw that the gap to Guido was big enough that I could afford a couple of safe slow last laps and cruise to victory :cool:

Really enjoyed the race, even if it didn't have much in terms of actual wheel to wheel combat for my part, it was a game of tactics and trying to push every single lap for an hour. Looking forward to the next one!

Last edited:
Out of interest, what was the starting track grip level and did it change through the course of the race? I was a bit too preoccupied to look!

Out of interest, what was the starting track grip level and did it change through the course of the race? I was a bit too preoccupied to look!
A bit difficult to say. Practice session started at 90%. There's 1% grip gain for every 20 laps (so one lap for 20 cars). Gripped gained is transfered for 50% from practice to qualify and from qualify to race.
That's the description I've read about these track settings. It's hard to say at which grip level the race started because we had cold tyres in the first lap. But I think I could take T1 almost flat out in the second lap with the Mazda so the grip must have been quite high then.

As you might have noticed, I'm experimenting with the track, wind and temperature settings to see how these really work out. For the Deutschlandring I will probably lower the transfering grip and the grip gain so the race will start with less grip than on Bremgarten. Will be fun in the hairpin part of the track in the first laps.

A bit difficult to say. Practice session started at 90%. There's 1% grip gain for every 20 laps (so one lap for 20 cars). Gripped gained is transfered for 50% from practice to qualify and from qualify to race.
That's the description I've read about these track settings. It's hard to say at which grip level the race started because we had cold tyres in the first lap. But I think I could take T1 almost flat out in the second lap with the Mazda so the grip must have been quite high then.

As you might have noticed, I'm experimenting with the track, wind and temperature settings to see how these really work out. For the Deutschlandring I will probably lower the transfering grip and the grip gain so the race will start with less grip than on Bremgarten. Will be fun in the hairpin part of the track in the first laps.
Thanks for the info. I need to keep an eye on grip in the future as I didn't really push any harder during the race as I forgot the grip level was improving. Live and learn.

Since I always have the real time app open, and since I really struggled with the grip levels, I'm remembering them quite well haha.
Qualy started with 95 and improved to 97.
Race started at 96 and it took about 4-5 laps to get to 100%.

Made a world of difference for me on hard tyres and 85L.
With the Audi on low fuel and mediums with 100% grip, most corners where just a matter of a novel, executed throttle lift to rotate the car and getting back at it to stabilize it again.

I had to lift way more or even brake during Qualy and definitely brake during the first few laps.

Was quite interesting and I really like the challenge.
But I do think these tracks cause enough mayhem even with perfect settings so I'm not sure that I really like it overall :roflmao:

7D420024-7420-4BCE-BC18-BD908DC63C0E.jpeg

i have thought about this for a few days, although I have no defence for my wrong doings.
I have to say in the defence of me and the Audi brigade….

the P2P achieves very little, I can, and I think Han said it too, lap just as fast without it.
Trying to overtake here at these circuits is virtually impossible, one slight lift of the throttle and you are going backwards, big time.
i followed Colin, Thomas and Richard for quite a few laps with Neil about to join in, overtaking, well, there was nowhere.
And as I found out with Thomas, overtaking was a big risk.
Okay you had long straights, but the Audi would cover any overtakes by using the racing lines or just a blocking move, that meant a slight lift, that meant you were going backwards, this meant you were forced to keep your foot in.
That created a despair and a desire to go for it, you had no option really. Not that I think there is or can be an answer to that, it is what it is. ( for every Audi driver )

The Mazdas.
I was not alone in this race having “not“ to make up 2, 5 or 10 seconds at one point I had 30 or 40 second deficit to make up.
One off, I had a trip around the field and then had to ram a fence to get back on the road.
Following and overtaking the Mazda was easy, but like with Lars , I had to lift in the first corner then reaccelerate against a car with its throttle flat to the floor for the next corner.
This circuit was about momentum , being behind lars I was losing time hand over fist.
I had assumed that as the next corner did not need the apex and consequently I had room to overtake, there I was, cannot lift, lose my momentum, the gap was there, the gap was not, just did not have time to react.
Not Lars fault at all, a racing incident that was compounded by all the factors above. It was repeated time and time again with the Mazdas.

What works on a race track is much less effective on a narrow country lane, on a circuit for the most part I can easily overtake a Mazda with its large run of places, wide track, allowing a left or right side overtake.

My point, I think the Mazdas have to be more conscious of the Audi’s on these country roads, these are not race tracks, the Audi’s need space. You cannot just blindly follow the racing line as on a race circuit.
Both Lars and I both needlessly lost time, this has nothing to do with Lars, I am just using this as an example, there were numerous occasions, okay some were just unavoidable, I accept that, most were not.
:)
Most if not all the Mazda incidents were not involved with a Mazda racing another Mazda most were like me in a lone situation.
I think if they had cooperatively joined and helped each other very little time would have been lost.
Some did.
Am I aiming here for the impossible.:unsure:

Last edited:
Since I always have the real time app open, and since I really struggled with the grip levels, I'm remembering them quite well haha.
Qualy started with 95 and improved to 97.
Race started at 96 and it took about 4-5 laps to get to 100%.

Made a world of difference for me on hard tyres and 85L.
With the Audi on low fuel and mediums with 100% grip, most corners where just a matter of a novel, executed throttle lift to rotate the car and getting back at it to stabilize it again.

I had to lift way more or even brake during Qualy and definitely brake during the first few laps.

Was quite interesting and I really like the challenge.
But I do think these tracks cause enough mayhem even with perfect settings so I'm not sure that I really like it overall :roflmao:
You can see the grip level in the real time app??? I didn't know that! It's in a setting somewhere I suppose.

View attachment 503575

i have thought about this for a few days, although I have no defence for my wrong doings.

the P2P achieves very little, I can, and I think Han said it too, lap just as fast without it.
Trying to overtake here at these circuits is virtually impossible, one slight lift of the throttle and you are going backwards, big time.
i followed Colin, Thomas and Richard for quite a few laps with Neil about to join in, overtaking, well, there was nowhere.
Okay you had long straights, but the Audi would cover any overtakes by using the racing lines or just a blocking move, that meant a slight lift, that meant you were going backwards, this meant you were forced to keep your foot in.
That created a despair and a desire to go for it, you had no option really. Not that I think there is or can be an answer to that, it is what it is. ( for every Audi driver )

The Mazdas.
I was not alone in this race having “not“ to make up 2, 5 or 10 seconds at one point I had 30 or 40 second deficit to make up.
One off, I had a trip around the field and then had to ram a fence to get back on the road.
Following and overtaking the Mazda was easy, but like with Lars , I had to lift in the first corner then reaccelerate against a car with its throttle flat to the floor for the next corner.
This circuit was about moment, being behind lars I was losing time hand over fist.
I had assumed that as the next corner did not need the apex and consequently I had room to overtake, there I was, cannot lift, lose my momentum, the gap was there, the gap was not, just did not have time to react.
Not Lars fault at all, a racing incident that was compounded by all the factors above. It was repeated time and time again with the Mazdas.

What works on a race track is much less effective on a narrow country lane, on a circuit for the most part I can easily overtake a Mazda with its large run of places, wide track, allowing a left or right side overtake.

My point, I think the Mazdas have to be more conscious of the Audi’s on these country roads, these are not race tracks, the Audi’s need space. You cannot just blindly follow the racing line as on a race circuit.
Both Lars and I both needlessly lost time, this has nothing to do with Lars, I am just using this as an example, there were numerous occasions, okay some were just unavoidable, I accept that, most were not.
Most if not all the Mazda incidents were not involved with a Mazda racing another Mazda most were like me in a lone situation.
I think if they had cooperatively joined and helped each other very little time would have been lost.
Some did.
Yes, I agree that it is very difficult to overtake a car in the same class as the vehicle in front is driving in defensive lines. What I'm trying to do is force the car in front just before a corner to intervene defensively by leaving the racing line. I hope he struggles to go through the bend where I can hit the apex because I have more time. Of course, this doesn't always work and it's dangerous because I easily miss my braking point. But it worked a few times in Tenni where I could get a better exit and forced myself next to the car in front of me.

As for the Audis and the Mazdas, in the pre-chat I asked the Mazdas to keep their lane on the stretches between the real turns, even though they aren't quite straight. I did that and it didn't take me much time. But I lost a lot of time myself when Richard made his overtake for T1, but went through the corner much slower than my flat out Mazda. I had to brake to avoid contact and in the Mazda it took you almost 2 seconds to get back up to speed.

On the straights, the Mazda was not a problem as long as I was able to take their corner flat out too, if that was not possible a lift meant I lost momentum for the straight against a flat out Mazda. re-accelerating an Audi is a time-consuming problem. :roflmao: :roflmao:
The straights were not long enough to safely get by for the next corner.
For example, in T1 the Audi was about 10mph faster than the Mazda, just an example of the problems facing the Audi's on a country road.
There is no solution here, but I do think the Mazda's need to be more conscious of the Audi's on country circuits as opposed to racing circuits.:)
One solution is the next circuit, it is long enough to noticeably reduce this problem, as long as I do not decide to roam the county fields in the Audi too often.:D:D:D

Last edited:
On the straights, the Mazda was not a problem as long as I was able to take their corner flat out too, if that was not possible a lift meant I lost momentum for the straight against a flat out Mazda. re-accelerating an Audi is a time-consuming problem. :roflmao: :roflmao:
The straights were not long enough to safely get by for the next corner.
For example, in T1 the Audi was about 10mph faster than the Mazda, just an example of the problems facing the Audi's on a country road.
There is no solution here, but I do think the Mazda's need to be more conscious of the Audi's on country circuits as opposed to racing circuits.:)
One solution is the next circuit, it is long enough to noticeably reduce this problem, as long as I do not decide to roam the county fields in the Audi too often.:D:D:D
Well for the next events there will be less lapping of the Mazda's. Lap times are bigger and on the Deutschlandring I expect the MX5 to be as fast as the Audi in the hairpin part in the woods.
The temps are at the bottom of realtime app, it just appears win mine without any settings adjustment.
View attachment 503583
Thanks! I've never seen that:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::(!

View attachment 503575

The Mazdas.
This circuit was about moment, being behind lars I was losing time hand over fist.

Some did.
I understand you points, Ernie. I do move over when I can but through the corners Han asks us to follow the racing line so the Audis know what to expect. I'm not too worried about losing time when I am near the back, anyway.

Han may want to think about whether he changes the guidelines for these tracks....

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back