Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E Porsche 911 Career 964 2.jpg

Sector3 Studios have confirmed the stunning Porsche 911 Carrera 964 will be arriving in RaceRoom Racing Experience very soon indeed.

Having secured a licencing agreement with the historic German brand last year, Sector3 Studios have slowly but surely been drip feeding some of the most iconic models from the marque into the sim over the last few months, and with at least three additional cars still to materialise, the Swedish developers have confirmed one with be the classic 911 Carrera (964)!

R3E Porsche 911 Career 964 4.jpg

Having been very much in the thick of things during the early 1990's, the 964 is a race proven thoroughbred motorsport icon, one of the most popular and engaging cars of a long line of iconic racing machines from the Stuttgart marque.

Having spent five years as the car of choice for the Porsche Carrera Cup between 1990 and 1994, this is a very significant motor from the brand, and it is certainly pleasing to see it head to RaceRoom Racing Experience as a new DLC in the near future.

R3E Porsche 911 Career 964 1.jpg

The car will be included as part of the upcoming big patch update, and is set to contain 25 unique race liveries from throughout the history of the category.

Exact release date and price have yet to be revealed, so stay tuned to find out over the coming days...

R3E Porsche 911 Career 964 3.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available as a 'free to play' PC exclusive racing simulation.

Check out the RaceDepartment RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum to stay in touch with the latest news, download the odd mod or two and join in with our mighty RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club - for all you club and league racing eSport needs!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Pretty excited about the new Porsche, will definitely get it.

There’s a lot to like about raceroom. It’s perhaps the most pick up and play sim there is, very easy to dive into with no fiddling. The FFB is very good right out of the gate, as are the default setups. The car choice is very good with an emphasis on tin top, which suits me. It’s particularly good at touring cars but GT too - although ACC now has that cornered. And the audio has always been great. VR support for my cheap Lenovo Explorer is also straight forward and Raceroom is the only sim tha I bother cracking out the headset for.

But there’s no denying it’s showing it’s age visually. Bouncing between ACC and R3E is quite jarring because of the graphical disparity and I’m afraid Sector3 are going to have to update soon or sink into irrelevance.

Bouncing between ACC and R3E is quite jarring because of the graphical disparity and I’m afraid Sector3 are going to have to update soon or sink into irrelevance.
I disagree. There's certainly a vocal minority that require the latest and greatest graphics to be able to enjoy their sims, but that's what they are... a minority. The more reserved majority don't mind as long as it looks pretty good, which sims like R3E and AMS still do. Even sims like GT Legends and GTR 2 still have solid followings, despite their "abysmal" graphics by today's standards, because they are still great sims.

What will cause R3E to "sink into irrelevance" is if S3 don't keep up with the features being brought to the genre by new competing sims. I'm not going to bother listing any because we all know what they are. That said, my guess is that we won't see any ground-breaking new features until the switch to a new engine. It would be a bit pointless to do all that work and then do it all again in a year or whatever when the switch is made...

I disagree. There's certainly a vocal minority that require the latest and greatest graphics to be able to enjoy their sims, but that's what they are... a minority. The more reserved majority don't mind as long as it looks pretty good, which sims like R3E and AMS still do. Even sims like GT Legends and GTR 2 still have solid followings, despite their "abysmal" graphics by today's standards, because they are still great sims.

What will cause R3E to "sink into irrelevance" is if S3 don't keep up with the features being brought to the genre by new competing sims. I'm not going to bother listing any because we all know what they are. That said, my guess is that we won't see any ground-breaking new features until the switch to a new engine. It would be a bit pointless to do all that work and then do it all again in a year or whatever when the switch is made...

Have to agree with the majority of your words, oh mighty Thor. :notworthy:
Do however believe we will continue to see new features, right up to the proposed move to Dx11/12, many features are already available, just lack UI integration, so I fancy the trickle will continue. As for the fear of wasting man hours on a nearing obsolete engine, I'm not so sure U4 will be the chosen path, makes far more sense to maintain the Frankenstein approach and meld something into RR, rather than trying to adapt RR to a new engine.
The graphical requirement disparity amongst users is almost definitely an age thing, to an old fart like me, taking a peek back, whilst a pack of cars bear down on me is still stunning, cars in RR look great considering Dx9 limitations and immersion (which, for me, is what it's all about) is still very high in RR. The likes of U4, Frostbite etc have been around a while, a lot of our younger drivers know nothing else, so I can well imagine RR feeling like a step back in the visual department, not to mention features.
At least the consensus of both S3 and us peasants is the same, don't break RR, just gently fettle it into what we all want, what ever that might bloody be! :rolleyes:

Ok so when is the update?....and then some hot lapping at Road America.... then a multi class race at SPA, and a club race at ...I need a paper bag and breathe. WOW

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back