Project Tilke Designs

So it looks like redesigning Spa is the "in" thing right now... well, here's my attempt... I tried to keep the (many) fun and classic parts of the current track, while redesigning the boring ones :wink2:

sparedesign.jpg

Notes:
-Everything from the start line down to Les Combes is unchanged, but I replaced the (honestly boring) turns there with a hairpin, which should be great for repassing the cars that got you down the straight >_>
-To make up for the lost speed at the hairpin, I straightened out the turns leading to Pouhon (the big, left-hand sweeper) which should keep it as a fast, exciting turn
-I always found the right, left, right sequence before Stavelot a little boring, so I turned them into some esses and Stavelot into a hairpin (like it originally was!)
-The "bus stop" chicane is earlier to provide more speed into La Source (more passing, yay!) and because it's not really necessary to have chicanes right before pit in anymore

How do you like this one?

That's pretty good. Though, I'll be honest, your definition of "boring" intrigues me. I've always found Les Combes quite an interesting set of turns, where you have to get your line just right (trust me, they're among my fave turns in-game :D). And the addition of two new hairpins... I dunno, it just feels very un-Spa-like.

Still, it's an incredibly interesting design. I love the way you've sped up Fagnes (the complex before Stavelot), and I've always felt that the approach to La Source should have been faster. And the Pouhon modification has serious potential, though it would have to involve some flattening of terrain or a hilly section.

It's got the :thumb:s up from me.

Resi, it must be the connection you use in the Broadband Limbo thread... I can see it, and clearly so can Rhys :)

And Rhys, I guess "boring" wouldn't really be the right word... I know that those turns are great, but I was thinking mostly in terms of a spectator/fan. Spa is already, IMO, the most exciting track to watch, but improvements are always possible... and yes, I know the Les Combes hairpin is heresy, but like I said Stavelot was originally a hairpin... of course, it was 70 years ago and in a completely different location... >_>

Yikes, sorry I haven't posted in a while... real life's been a real :censored: lately.

Anyway, some redesigns of famous tracks. Two are revisions of ones I've done before:

Monza-
monza2.jpg

And Indianapolis-
indy2.jpg

And here's a new track to add to the roster: Portland International Raceway. I modified it so that it would be able to host the Formula 1 US GP if it had to. The track in its current configuration is simply too short, and while it's very flowing, the surroundings have great potential for some interesting corner complexes. (You'll also notice that I used a tiny portion of the old layout too... :D)
vanport.jpg
The current layout will still be kept, for history's sake.

As desiging Spa is the theme at the moment, I've designed a fantasy design of it :)

Changes from Origional

1) Least important, but that final chicane is ommitted
2) The track cuts to the right before Les Combes, followed by a short, exhillerating straight through the trees, before cutting back, running Bruxells and the second half of Les Combes backwards before going onto a bridge, over the aformentioned straight, though the treetops, coming out at Pohoun and the lap continues

:drool:

Attachments

• PT3.jpg
    PT3.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 236
Wow, Matthew, that's a great idea, and I'd never have thought of anything like that, ever... of course, it's probably the least practical of all of them (~320 km/h into La Source? Eek!) but who cares? >_>

Now that we've all made Spa versions, we should have some kind of a vote or something... maybe someone with trackmaking skills (not me!) can figure out how to implement them in a sim!

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 70 72.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 20 20.8%