Project Tilke Designs

Not much interest? :confused:

Either way, I have a real-life challenge for you. The IndyCar race at the Edmonton airport is in question because one of the runways might need to be used during the race. If you look at the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...66,-113.521428&spn=0.022604,0.066047&t=h&z=15

...you can see the airport, along with skidmarks that nicely set up the old track. Your challenge: Design a new track that doesn't use the runway running from top-left to bottom-right. You are allowed to construct some new pavement if necessary...

Here's what I came up with:

edmonton2 copy.jpg

OK, Here it is:

edmontonindynew001.png

Only 2 new pieces of Tarmac needed
1. Between T1 and T2 (there is already a thin service road there, but it will need widening. And the office-type-thing will need moving).
2. Between T4 and T5 a small piece of Tarmac is needed.

I've already named turns 5,6,7,8,10-11 and 13-16, some after corners from other tracks (well, all of them except for T8)

I hope you like it :)

I agree, great ideas! The only potential problem is that they're both pretty close to the "active" runway... don't know how that will actually work in real life...

Anyway, here's the topic on another forum where I got the idea. Rhys, I posted your design there (I'll delete it if you want)... a lot of other people have pretty similar ideas...

Well, earlier I mentioned a remaking of Monaco... What I didn't know is that apparently, at one point there were actually proposals to change Monaco!

http://www.gdecarli.it/php/circuit.php?var1=658&var2=2

It's sort of hard to tell where they would go now because the streets have changed... They all look very weird to me, but I guess we're all used to the modern Monaco layout... the new Spa must have looked very weird to drivers and fans back then...

Adelaide F1GP Circuit Update

The Grand Prix, unfortunately, will probably never come back to Adelaide. Although it's a fantastic track the government probably won't pay enough to Bernie Ecclestone aka Mr GFM (Greedy For Money).

Anyway, If it did come back the track would need an extension, because even the old track, measuring up at 3.78 km, is only a little bit longer than monaco, 3.34 km. Some corners would need updating aswell to cope with modern formula one needs. The Horse Racing Track seen in the pic is now defunctional which would give us some extra space to play with.

KEY:
RED: 5.69 kilometre main track
YELLOW: Pit lane
LIGHT BLUE: Possible variations to make a permenant facility for clubs or lower racing series eg Formula Ford.
GREEN: A 729 metre kart track roughly based on the GP Track which would be a nice addition :D. DARK GREEN would be the pit.

UPDATES TO MAIN TRACK:
  • The Senna chicane would be a massive problem for modern Formula one cars. It would be extremely fast, with little runoff, and the kerbs are MASSIVE. As seen Singapore earlier this year, large kerbs can be dangerous when you run wide. The chicane would be faster and have larger kerbs than T10 (I think) at Singapore. So in my update I Moved the chicane further back, Made it right-left with a little sweep to the left just before the first corner. The new chicane would also be slower as it is wider, as in more space between T1 and T2. The cars would then flow through the old chicane but it would be a lot slower and therefore safer.
  • Where the old brewery bend is/was, I moved the apex back a bit and "streamlined the corner a little to have a wider exit to the corner with more runoff.
  • Just after the re-entry to victoria park, the cars would run more to the left going into the new section, leaving more space for the paddock.
  • The new section is relatively straight-forward. If you get a good exit from the 90-degree left-hander just as you enter victoria park, you could slipstream down the "sort-of straight" down to the hairpin, where you could hopefully overtake. I decided not to make the hairpin too tight because F1 cars do not like overtaking on REALLY tight corners, they like more flowing ones.
  • After that the track sweeps around to the left and then to the right, roughly following the inside of the now de-functional horse track. Then there is a 90-degree right, followed by a faster right.
  • For the 4th and 3rd to last corners I tried to recreate the idea of having to "brake through the corner with all the braking done by one tyre' sort of feeling as with the last 2 corners on the old track. However, the distance between the corners would now have to be smaller because modern f1 cars stop much quicker
  • The last two corners were just there so that I could have that tight corner (which I wanted to be the last but is now third to last) without getting two close to the other bits of track, and use the original start/finish straight.
  • Because the track moves a bit to the left after the start, the pitlane garages could extend right up to where those covered corporate grandstands are in the pic, allowing for more space for each team in the pit lane.

adelaidenewf1track.png

I hope you like it :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes