• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Project Cars vs Assetto Corsa.

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa' started by blackcelica, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Doug Taylor

Doug Taylor

Ratings:
    +178
    Opinions are like a** holes everyone has one!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bazingaracer

bazingaracer

Ratings:
    +32
    You have found that today?

3. Marc

Marc

Ratings:
    +75
    You should never give an opinion about this SIM VS ARCADE discuss! It always end`s up like, for example, this...

btw Gran Turismo simulates some things very good imo, but it`s an Game anyway ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andy_J

Andy_J
    I hate VR. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Premium

Ratings:
    +3,577
    This^^^^

Modding support usually means a sim/game will have longevity far surpassing a game that doesn't. History has proven this. Now if the Pcars devs go against the will of the WMD investors (they voted to not allow modding for some amazing reason, but can only guess the majority are console users ;)) and eventually allow modding, then I think Pcars will have a great sim future.

5. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright
    I may not be fast, but I'm wide!

Ratings:
    +1,818
    There's something to be said about non-moddable games too, like R3E. Barring any unwanted bugs, they just work and you have what you need right out of the box (though you may have to pay a bit extra for some of it). Sometimes that's very refreshing. Modding is great but it can sometimes be a pain having to find the mods and figure out how to install/adjust them, or determine why they made your game not work right anymore. Modding is free, which is nice, but you never really know what you're going to get. R3E content is paid, but it's relatively cheap and you know exactly the quality you're getting and that it's just going to work.

Not saying one model is better or worse than the other, just that they both have their benefits. Luckily there's no law requiring all of us to enjoy sim racing the exact same way as everyone else, so we can all choose the model we prefer, or enjoy both of them. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. paracletus

paracletus

Ratings:
    +187
    i'll buy pc. gsce, rf, ac -- all good video games to me; no need for elitism.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. blackcelica

blackcelica

Ratings:
    +846
    Imagine a game engine collaboration. Won't happen but look at it this way, eye candy and effects can be written in easier than physics etc. Assetto 1-0 ProjectCars.

8. Mattross

Mattross

Ratings:
    +30
    Reading all these debates, I've been imagining a similar "what if" for a while now. I don't worry as much about graphics while driving and racing, but I do enjoy great looking replays and screenshots. So, I imagine a common replay format (I know it will never happen): Drive and race in rFactor 2. Export the race to the common replay format. Import the replay to PC and crank up the eye candy for playback.

I can dream, can't I? (And yes, I know all the reasons it would never work.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ricoow

Ricoow
    Assetto Corsa Competizione Club Staff Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,312
    If we start this what if collaboration thing:
    Combine AC's physics with WreckFest's damage :D

• Like Like x 4
  10. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +1,818
    AC's physics/FFB/modding with R3E's sounds and visuals and AI, and iRacing's multiplayer format is my idea of the perfect sim (and throw some night racing in there too).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    RaceDepartment Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +18,093
    Project Biebers
    Project Bieber.jpg

Assetto Biebera
    Assetto Bieber.jpg

You see the extreme difference in quality in the above two screenshots? One is rendered in Project Biebers (multi-plaform omg!), the other one in Assetto Biebera (laserscanned omg!).

Mega difference and absolutely worth another thread to discuss that my bieber is bigger than yours :)

• Haha Haha x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +1,818
    I lost my beiber in a terrible farming accident. :sick:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris

Chris
    Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +6,080
    I lost mine in a fatal goat accident.

• Haha Haha x 3
  14. Paul Ad

Paul Ad
    Premium

Ratings:
    +252
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  15. Ricoow

Ricoow
    Assetto Corsa Competizione Club Staff Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,312
    You have poisoned my eyes, my screen and my HDD, which has those pictures now as cache memory. Thanks Bram :(

• Haha Haha x 1
  16. Bernd Graf

Bernd Graf

Ratings:
    +961
    I hate these comparisons...something tells me the developers wished they never existed. ProjectCARS is it's own game...so is Assetto Corsa. ProjectCARS has its own "feel," so does Assetto Corsa. Live and let live!

I admit that before I had even heard about AC (which was by accident...or maybe God knew I needed to know :inlove:), ProjectCARS had 100% of my interest. Obviously, owning both now and having tested them, it is difficult to switch between games and not feel some let down in pC's physics.

But the argument doesn't end there thank God. There are multiple game titles for a reason, and pC is more than a simulator, which is a good thing. The sim crowd is small--not as small as it once was (I used to feel like it was akin to doing some illegal drug, lol :D), now it is a rather proud break-out community, but still small; pC touches a far broader market with a far vaster game, and this sets pC up to be a winner as much as AC.

Most people are not hugely committed with their game-driving, and AC has bothered many of my friends who do not wish to devote their precious free time to memorizing a very few circuits, master their driving lines, learn the behavior of one car vs. another, etc. They want to have fun, that's part of what gaming is all about. While "fun" is in the eye of the beholder, let's be honest: most people think what simulators require either far too difficult or too much like work. pC does something quite amazing in this regard: offers an enormous game world that is much more approachable. pC always entertains me, I imagine it does and will do for many more.

In short: AC is a very capable tool that takes a little--a lot of work to enjoy. pC is a very fun game that offers gamers a vastly superior driving model to console titles.

Win for the PC community either way :coffee:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Pär Öqvist

Pär Öqvist

Ratings:
    +117
    How ironic. You must made a PC Master race comment :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ryan Soucy

Ryan Soucy

Ratings:
    +133
    I do know 2 console racers who will be piloting a factory LMP1 car at Le Mans, so I'd say its possible...

I sit on a pretty high horse myself when it comes to PC vs console gaming, but you won't find me slinging mud and calling names trying to add to my hardcore cred. Quite frankly, the gap between console racing and PC racing is a hell of a lot smaller than the gap between PC racing and driving a real race car. Its all relative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ryan Soucy

Ryan Soucy

Ratings:
    +133
    Fatal to the goat I hope... :)

20. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    RaceDepartment Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +18,093
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.