Project Cars vs Assetto Corsa.

Having the latest build 99% complete Project cars and Assetto corsa as it is right now 1.04, I know which one I prefer......by an absolute mile.
Project cars screen.
2015-02-10_00002.jpg

Assetto Corsa screen of same car/track/position.
2015-02-10_00015.jpg

I am a little Assetto bias, PC feels like a racing game, Assetto feels like a simulator. What are your thoughts?

• Deleted member 151827

Project Cars is not and never will be a SIM. However, graphically speaking it is a nice game and yes the game engine can operate miracles.
[hint]
It is intended for multi platform, someone know a console game that can be called a SIM?
[/hint]

NFS Shift was a cool game, there were awesome mods that turned the game physics a bit more "realistic".
From a PC user perspective Shift 2 Unleashed was pure garbage, however for young teenagers and their consoles probably was a nice game.

Opinions are like a** holes everyone has one!

Guess all the bits are falling into place. With AC its a no frills solid title that will out live a lot of recent titles because of the modding support.

This^^^^

Modding support usually means a sim/game will have longevity far surpassing a game that doesn't. History has proven this. Now if the Pcars devs go against the will of the WMD investors (they voted to not allow modding for some amazing reason, but can only guess the majority are console users ;)) and eventually allow modding, then I think Pcars will have a great sim future.

There's something to be said about non-moddable games too, like R3E. Barring any unwanted bugs, they just work and you have what you need right out of the box (though you may have to pay a bit extra for some of it). Sometimes that's very refreshing. Modding is great but it can sometimes be a pain having to find the mods and figure out how to install/adjust them, or determine why they made your game not work right anymore. Modding is free, which is nice, but you never really know what you're going to get. R3E content is paid, but it's relatively cheap and you know exactly the quality you're getting and that it's just going to work.

Not saying one model is better or worse than the other, just that they both have their benefits. Luckily there's no law requiring all of us to enjoy sim racing the exact same way as everyone else, so we can all choose the model we prefer, or enjoy both of them. :thumbsup:

Imagine a game engine collaboration.

Reading all these debates, I've been imagining a similar "what if" for a while now. I don't worry as much about graphics while driving and racing, but I do enjoy great looking replays and screenshots. So, I imagine a common replay format (I know it will never happen): Drive and race in rFactor 2. Export the race to the common replay format. Import the replay to PC and crank up the eye candy for playback.

I can dream, can't I? (And yes, I know all the reasons it would never work.)

Project Biebers
Project Bieber.jpg

Assetto Biebera
Assetto Bieber.jpg

You see the extreme difference in quality in the above two screenshots? One is rendered in Project Biebers (multi-plaform omg!), the other one in Assetto Biebera (laserscanned omg!).

Mega difference and absolutely worth another thread to discuss that my bieber is bigger than yours :)

Project Biebers
View attachment 81449

Assetto Biebera
View attachment 81450

You see the extreme difference in quality in the above two screenshots? One is rendered in Project Biebers (multi-plaform omg!), the other one in Assetto Biebera (laserscanned omg!).

Mega difference and absolutely worth another thread to discuss that my bieber is bigger than yours :)
You have poisoned my eyes, my screen and my HDD, which has those pictures now as cache memory. Thanks Bram :(

I hate these comparisons...something tells me the developers wished they never existed. ProjectCARS is it's own game...so is Assetto Corsa. ProjectCARS has its own "feel," so does Assetto Corsa. Live and let live!

I admit that before I had even heard about AC (which was by accident...or maybe God knew I needed to know :inlove:), ProjectCARS had 100% of my interest. Obviously, owning both now and having tested them, it is difficult to switch between games and not feel some let down in pC's physics.

But the argument doesn't end there thank God. There are multiple game titles for a reason, and pC is more than a simulator, which is a good thing. The sim crowd is small--not as small as it once was (I used to feel like it was akin to doing some illegal drug, lol :D), now it is a rather proud break-out community, but still small; pC touches a far broader market with a far vaster game, and this sets pC up to be a winner as much as AC.

Most people are not hugely committed with their game-driving, and AC has bothered many of my friends who do not wish to devote their precious free time to memorizing a very few circuits, master their driving lines, learn the behavior of one car vs. another, etc. They want to have fun, that's part of what gaming is all about. While "fun" is in the eye of the beholder, let's be honest: most people think what simulators require either far too difficult or too much like work. pC does something quite amazing in this regard: offers an enormous game world that is much more approachable. pC always entertains me, I imagine it does and will do for many more.

In short: AC is a very capable tool that takes a little--a lot of work to enjoy. pC is a very fun game that offers gamers a vastly superior driving model to console titles.

Win for the PC community either way :coffee:

It is intended for multi platform, someone know a console game that can be called a SIM?
[/hint]

I do know 2 console racers who will be piloting a factory LMP1 car at Le Mans, so I'd say its possible...

I sit on a pretty high horse myself when it comes to PC vs console gaming, but you won't find me slinging mud and calling names trying to add to my hardcore cred. Quite frankly, the gap between console racing and PC racing is a hell of a lot smaller than the gap between PC racing and driving a real race car. Its all relative.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 213 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 214 14.4%