Project Cars vs Assetto Corsa.

Having the latest build 99% complete Project cars and Assetto corsa as it is right now 1.04, I know which one I prefer......by an absolute mile.
Project cars screen.
2015-02-10_00002.jpg

Assetto Corsa screen of same car/track/position.
2015-02-10_00015.jpg

I am a little Assetto bias, PC feels like a racing game, Assetto feels like a simulator. What are your thoughts?

This is all assists off McLaren on pCars. Phsyics are good enough for me. You can see the car easily starts to drift if you hit throtle too much. (Not a very good wheel setting applied on this video tho..) You have to feel the car but not as much as AC.

ps. Logitech Driving Force GT - No Clutch - Manual Gearbox - Stability off

Last edited:
Not even sure why this thread is still open as it's all a matter of opinion
Why should it be closed? It's an open discussion. People are free to give their opinions on the matter.

We only close threads that get abusive, and I'm happily surprised to see that this thread has lasted 5 pages without any abuse being hurled at all :), because typically these types of threads can get pretty heated as gamers tend to have deep rooted allegiances to their chosen game.

As SMS team manager Pete Morrish indicated to Andreas Nie: pC was never intended to be a full-blown simulator, at least as far as the physical driving experience is concerned. This should be no surprise.

When I look at the "roots" of each racing game, I find a distinctive link between the game developers' attitudes and their final products. With Kunos, we see a very "niche" kind of team, small, low budget until recently, clean cut, professional in the traditional sense. It does not surprise me that their aim is to provide a technically advanced simulator as a training tool and instructive game about what performance driving is like behind the wheel. With SMS, I see a large group of game fanatics, the gamers we all know/knew who stayed up all night to master that one level of WWC or Assassin's Creed. Everything is big, bold, they are funny, light-hearted, and charismatic in a different way. It also follows that their game is a PC-based Gran Turismo-like experience. It makes sense that they've focused on graphical realism, are multi-platform based, and push the future of technology. They are not about providing an accurate racing game, but a FUTURE racing game. Simulation is a kind of sport: the studios and groups are small, close-knit.

There is a reason why NFS chose SMS to model their Shift series, because like NFS, SMS is not sold out for one thing, i.e., accurate driving simulation. They realize that is a very small market, and they have bigger aims. Most people are only interested in casual driving, and to these players, pC will seem like AC does to a full-blown sim racer. Most people who drive virtually play other game genres; sim racers are unique in that they tend to prefer one or two game genres. Most of my many steam friends on AC don't play many games besides AC...that speaks volumes! The pC friends...racing one minute, then back to Call of Duty. SMS is very smart, and know that the way to increase the driving genre is to market a slightly (no pun intended) more serious title to get those who aren't already driving to be more serious about it. SMS' latest title is like a gateway experience that leads to games like rFactor, AC, and iRacing. That is a role that few games have properly filled until pC.

• Deleted member 151827

Why should it be closed? It's an open discussion. People are free to give their opinions on the matter.

We only close threads that get abusive, and I'm happily surprised to see that this thread has lasted 5 pages without any abuse being hurled at all :), because typically these types of threads can get pretty heated as gamers tend to have deep rooted allegiances to their chosen game.
That's exactly what it is an opinion thread. Not one persons opinion is gonna change another persons opinion and there is a good chance that the thread could turn abusive quickly! I couldn't care less if you keep it open or close it. People should stick to "facts" though when posting! You get people watching videos and making an opinion about the game and i believe that is way off base!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 151827

By the way i have no bias either way! I have over 100 hours into both of them. It doesn't matter if the game is a "sim" game or not as long as i have fun with it and off the top of my head i can't think of any racing game that doesn't put a smile on my face. I guess i am just weird like that.

As SMS team manager Pete Morrish indicated to Andreas Nie: pC was never intended to be a full-blown simulator, at least as far as the physical driving experience is concerned. This should be no surprise.

paint me surprised! :)
However, I do not follow the game closely. I preorder pCARS through steam so I will have it in about 6 weeks (assuming no more delays). If the game has good FFB, decent physics, and a capable AI then I will be more than happy with my purchase.

paint me surprised! :)
However, I do not follow the game closely. I preorder pCARS through steam so I will have it in about 6 weeks (assuming no more delays). If the game has good FFB, decent physics, and a capable AI then I will be more than happy with my purchase.
The FFB is not at all like AC. In version 830, there were still no curb rumble, or complex forces...hopefully they will update these either in 1.0, or with other minor updates. But the ai is very good IMHO, other features solid...they need AMD optimization, if you have nvidia, expect fun :)

The FFB is not at all like AC. In version 830, there were still no curb rumble, or complex forces...hopefully they will update these either in 1.0, or with other minor updates. But the ai is very good IMHO, other features solid...they need AMD optimization, if you have nvidia, expect fun :)

Thanks for the update!
Do you know if SMS has a priority list of what they are working on before release date?

There is curb rumble but, SMS have stated that not all curbs are of the same design and they have reproduced the curbs according to real-world specs. Some are smooth or lack the reliefs and are painted like rumble strips. I can tell you that the details are there in the telemetry, whether or not you can feel them through the wheel comes down to having the proper setup and Pcars has more accessible FFB parameter adjustments than other titles.

I don't think the default wheel settings per brand are fully complete yet so some tweaking is usually needed. In most cases, the center-spring effect drowns out the details, turning TF down by 20-30% can help as a quick work-around until it's more practical to use the per-car FFB settings.

:O_o:

That build is like 4 months old they're up to build 938 now. Why not comment on a recent build?

Commenting on a build 4 months old particularly about FFB is a shame, because the FFB has come on dramatically since then.

Also that comment about WMD members only being allowed to say positive things about the game is nonsense... Obviously WMD members are to some extent "ambassadors" but what benefit is there in hyping the game above what is really is? The challenge as WMD member is that we see daily builds, warts and all. We get great experiences and crappy experiences. Things which were nice one day can take a turn for the worse the day after. But we see how SMS is handling development and that internal communication shows a bunch of guys working hard to deliver a quality product. So we have faith that the good experiences are what the finished game will be. Especially since good experiences are becoming the norm for most cars and tracks now that the polish phase is ongoing....

This is all assists off McLaren on pCars. Phsyics are good enough for me. You can see the car easily starts to drift if you hit throtle too much. (Not a very good wheel setting applied on this video tho..) You have to feel the car but not as much as AC.

ps. Logitech Driving Force GT - No Clutch - Manual Gearbox - Stability off

Shift with Overhaul has better physics, imo.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back