PC1 Project CARS is very good SIM

Hey,

I have been sim racing since my 16 (now 28), TOCA Race driver, richard burns rally with my brand new Logitech Momo, I have played almost all race/rally game out there.
Rfactor, GTR 1/2, Race 07, all the colin, GT Legends, F1 2010-2011, IRacing, you name it.

I have bought rFactor 2 and CARS, and I have to say they bought feel realy good, but the looks and sound of CARS are amazing! Its almost like real.
What I also like is that every week you get a new build and its is better and better each time.

Believe me its becoming the best sim game out there ever!

If you like to drive on pc and have a good wheel just try it your self, its only 10€ for Junior memeber ship, thats cheap : http://forum.wmdportal.com/toolpacks.php

http://forum.wmdportal.com/toolpacks.php

Not used pCars for a few weeks but tried it last night. Significant improvements across all areas. FFB improved demonstrably on my G27. Car, BMW M4 GT3 now talks to me. Tried Oulton Park. Unnerving. Looked like HD TV footage (took a few seconds to get used to). A couple of stability issued to sort but nontheless great work from the team. Really think this product will have major impact.

When I first heard of this title it sounded really cool, until I heard who was making the game, and my heart sank. I don't trust the people making this game and I am not going to get my hopes up again. I was going to ingore this title all together until I saw a review on you tube. The graphics were breath taking and it had a lot of cool detials, and the game play looked decent. I am keeping my eye on it.

I want it to have at least decent physics. I am not expecting anywhere near iracing, but if they can at least give me rfactor 1 physics that will keep me content. I expect the FFB to be terrible. More people will play this game on concoles then will pc. Which means controller racing, and I expect them to blow off FFB. What worries me the most is concoles people want a acrade racing and not a full sim. I expect them to water down the physics to accumate concole racers. If they were smart they would do two titles, and the pc release would have the higher level physics and FFB, but with the **** they gave us with shift 1 and 2. I doubt their that smart. I am not just going to run out and buy this one, I will watch a few reviews, before I jump head long into shift 3.

If they were smart they would do two titles, and the pc release would have the higher level physics and FFB

First off I don't know what the end product will look like, they may end up putting mushroom
power-ups on the tracks for all I know...............but.

It would be a serious waste of resources going through months of tire testing for 1 type of car
if I'm not wrong the Formula C tire is on version 21 and now working on GT tire version 7 I think.

Everything I see in the WMD forum as far as testing , track input, RL references etc etc etc is
pointing in the direction of a SIM.

Will it be like old tire model in iRacing....not likely.

But not even iRacing is embracing that extremely loose feel and quick fall of with the NTM.

I'v pointed this out a few times before.....the most insanely hard-core flight sim DCS world
used by the military has an ARCADE mode if You so desire ( if 700 + pages of manuals for each jet
and 20 min + start up procedures on helis sounds to much), one does not exclude the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've only recently been able to play this game so I haven't seen it evolve over time but even in its current state, its a sim, not an arcade racer. I don't think the physics and FFB is as good as Assetto Corsa but it certainly doesn't feel bad to me. The FFB probably needs the most work and the physics are already above iRacing. That being said, I still think iRacing, AC, rF2, and GSCE have the best FFB available right now.

I'm pretty impressed with Project CARS honestly. I was expecting a lot less given the track record of SMS after Shift 2 and Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends, although some may disagree, I really liked the original NFS Shift but Project CARS still feels ahead of that game by a good margin.

I think an important consideration is the fact that the SMS group (each individually, and collectively) are finally creating the racing sim they always wanted to create but in the past were restricted/controlled by a publisher. I can understand some are reluctant to trust their stated goals but on the other hand their talent should be respected and they should be given the chance to prove their development model and focus, why not. Just because they made a few racing games aimed at the arcade racer doesn't mean they don't have the talent to create a sim - when given the freedom to do so. My $.02

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but afaik several of the team members working on pCars are from the exact same team that made GTR2 back in the day, so personally I don't doubt their ability to make a proper sim. The question is why would they? There's more money to be made from making it the next Forza or Gran Turismo. I hope the answer is exactly what they have stated as their goal, which is to finally be able to make another kickass simulator, but through having great driving aids to help controller gamers and adding features like campaign modes etc to cater to both audiences. I personally think this is absolutely possible to do, but the proof is in the pudding, March next year. :)

Yes, there are those working on various aspects of Pcars that were involved with GTR2. Of course, they all have to take direction from the top but, the goals have been clearly laid out so I fully expect they will hit the target but, as you say - the proof is in the pudding.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but afaik several of the team members working on pCars are from the exact same team that made GTR2 back in the day, so personally I don't doubt their ability to make a proper sim. The question is why would they? There's more money to be made from making it the next Forza or Gran Turismo. I hope the answer is exactly what they have stated as their goal, which is to finally be able to make another kickass simulator, but through having great driving aids to help controller gamers and adding features like campaign modes etc to cater to both audiences. I personally think this is absolutely possible to do, but the proof is in the pudding, March next year. :)

Forgive me for being naive, but is Forza even a proper sim? I've been under the impression that it's more of a sim-cade game...

Well that depends on who you ask :p
My take on Forza and GT is that they are simulators in many aspects, but to cater to a wider audience (particularly those who race with a controller) they make some sacrifices in terms of driving model, making it a good bit more forgiving than "proper" simulators. Whether that is simcade, simulator or arcade or whatever is up for debate, and we will probably never get a definitive answer.
What I meant with what I said is that doing these things, making the game more approachable to the non simulator geeks, makes a lot of sense in terms of trying to make money off of your product. I just hope they can make both, a good simulator that by using driving aids even caters to the non geeky crowd as well.

When I first heard of this title it sounded really cool, until I heard who was making the game, and my heart sank. I don't trust the people making this game and I am not going to get my hopes up again. I was going to ingore this title all together until I saw a review on you tube. The graphics were breath taking and it had a lot of cool detials, and the game play looked decent. I am keeping my eye on it.

I want it to have at least decent physics. I am not expecting anywhere near iracing, but if they can at least give me rfactor 1 physics that will keep me content. I expect the FFB to be terrible. More people will play this game on concoles then will pc. Which means controller racing, and I expect them to blow off FFB. What worries me the most is concoles people want a acrade racing and not a full sim. I expect them to water down the physics to accumate concole racers. If they were smart they would do two titles, and the pc release would have the higher level physics and FFB, but with the **** they gave us with shift 1 and 2. I doubt their that smart. I am not just going to run out and buy this one, I will watch a few reviews, before I jump head long into shift 3.
Haha, that assumes rFactor 2 has less physics than iRacing ;). According to Dale E Jr., the new tire model felt like glass, impossible to control, no grip ;). rFactor has the tire model to beat IMHO...iRacing is good, I don't think miles better than rFactor. iRacing is impressive because of all the laser scanning and detail to the autos...physics are suspect to me as I've never had a good race in it.

Haha, that assumes rFactor 2 has less physics than iRacing ;). According to Dale E Jr., the new tire model felt like glass, impossible to control, no grip ;). rFactor has the tire model to beat IMHO...iRacing is good, I don't think miles better than rFactor. iRacing is impressive because of all the laser scanning and detail to the autos...physics are suspect to me as I've never had a good race in it.

If that's the case, Game Stock Car Extreme and R3E have suspect physics too. The way I see it, the harder it is for me to have a good race, the better the sim. After all, if it was easy for everyone to have fantastic races in the F1 cars, we'd probably be playing a normal arcade game ;)

Another unbiased view of Project Cars that shares the view of the title of this thread.

God I hate the grey haired bastard. He's the reason I can't watch ISR. A little bit rude, and clearly a bit distracting to others.

Last edited:
If that's the case, Game Stock Car Extreme and R3E have suspect physics too. The way I see it, the harder it is for me to have a good race, the better the sim. After all, if it was easy for everyone to have fantastic races in the F1 cars, we'd probably be playing a normal arcade game ;)
I too mistook difficult for being realistic when I started out with simracing, but I've come to a few realisations since then. Some sims are probably more difficult to drive than the real life counterpart is, I've heard people say that IRL race drivers have commented this too, but I haven't seen/heard this myself. I've stopped looking for "the perfect physics" and "best FFB", I've come to terms with that my hobby should be about having fun, if one game/sim is more fun to me than the other, who cares which one is most realistic? :)

I too mistook difficult for being realistic when I started out with simracing, but I've come to a few realisations since then. Some sims are probably more difficult to drive than the real life counterpart is, I've heard people say that IRL race drivers have commented this too, but I haven't seen/heard this myself. I've stopped looking for "the perfect physics" and "best FFB", I've come to terms with that my hobby should be about having fun, if one game/sim is more fun to me than the other, who cares which one is most realistic? :)
I agree. Driving a car at normal road speeds is not difficult. Driving a car at high speeds is not very difficult. Driving a car very near it's grip limitations is quite challenging. Doing so consistently is extremely difficult. I think that we may be at a point in simulation development where many of us are coming to realize that "Simulation" doesn't have to equate to "difficult" to drive. It just needs to be very challenging near the limit and difficult to do so consistently. Of course, that's a very simplistic example but, one worth considering.

Our definition of "Fun" may vary as it is a subjective matter but, it is the fundamental basis for the creation of any game. Realism can be broken down into various categories and I think that Pcars could be a title that demonstrates that in a new and unique way. How well the physics adapt from game-pad to wheel and pedal setups is going to be key in appealing to the broadest audience.

Realism can be broken down into various categories and I think that Pcars could be a title that demonstrates that in a new and unique way. How well the physics adapt from game-pad to wheel and pedal setups is going to be key in appealing to the broadest audience.

Pcars should show to other devs that physics is only a part of realism spectrum. Or as the Oculus would say, presence. To be immersed in a world of being a racing driver, requires much more than just great physics.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.