PC1 Project CARS is very good SIM

Hey,

I have been sim racing since my 16 (now 28), TOCA Race driver, richard burns rally with my brand new Logitech Momo, I have played almost all race/rally game out there.
Rfactor, GTR 1/2, Race 07, all the colin, GT Legends, F1 2010-2011, IRacing, you name it.

I have bought rFactor 2 and CARS, and I have to say they bought feel realy good, but the looks and sound of CARS are amazing! Its almost like real.
What I also like is that every week you get a new build and its is better and better each time.

Believe me its becoming the best sim game out there ever!

If you like to drive on pc and have a good wheel just try it your self, its only 10€ for Junior memeber ship, thats cheap : http://forum.wmdportal.com/toolpacks.php

http://forum.wmdportal.com/toolpacks.php

I too mistook difficult for being realistic when I started out with simracing, but I've come to a few realisations since then. Some sims are probably more difficult to drive than the real life counterpart is, I've heard people say that IRL race drivers have commented this too, but I haven't seen/heard this myself. I've stopped looking for "the perfect physics" and "best FFB", I've come to terms with that my hobby should be about having fun, if one game/sim is more fun to me than the other, who cares which one is most realistic? :)

Shift 1 and 2 were fun. Lots of fun. :):whistling:

Pcars should show to other devs that physics is only a part of realism spectrum. Or as the Oculus would say, presence. To be immersed in a world of being a racing driver, requires much more than just great physics.
That's a great point, highlighted by VR IMO. The up close and personal kind of experience one gets using the Rift makes everything more intense and magnified.

If that's the case, Game Stock Car Extreme and R3E have suspect physics too. The way I see it, the harder it is for me to have a good race, the better the sim. After all, if it was easy for everyone to have fantastic races in the F1 cars, we'd probably be playing a normal arcade game ;)

God I hate the grey haired bastard. He's the reason I can't watch ISR. A little bit rude, and clearly a bit distracting to others.
Hard does not = realistic. Pure difficulty doesn't mean that a physics model is accurate...simply means hard to drive. More important is how it is difficult, where the difficulties manifest themselves...that's where iRacing lost me. Steering is strangely weighted, gets incredibly heavy the further you turn the wheel. In-dash cams of real performance cars show evenness in the dispersion of wheel tension through the whole turning radius. Also, braking in iRacing is impossible to gauge, even with a quality pedal set like mine (clubsport v2 customized). Driving should not be hard to get...it should be hard to push. I think the biggest issue, however, is this: I drive in real life...why doesn't iRacing respond? Makes no sense. Project Cars and AC seem to replicate physics far better than any other sims to date, about time they raised the bar.

Last edited:
We cannot compare those games with what we have now because it is a game from 2009 and since then the gaming industry and also the technology applied evolved astoundingly.
Even being an arcade primarily made for consoles the PC version of Shift "1" with Overhaul Mod was quite playable in matters of handling and sound, for a game from 2009 was not that bad, in fact was quite good,. Shift "2" I cant speak about because never played.
About Project Cars, I need to see first the final product just to be sure if is a arcade or a simulator. The fact of being a multi platform game (console and PC) makes me think. So far, besides beautiful graphics and amazing sound, I dont see any clue pointing it as a true simulator.
Maybe the fact of being based on Shift engine can help, it is a good engine (if not the best) for this game genre in matters of visuals and also in matters of handling undoubtedly it has a large margin for a simulation environment implementation, we just need to look at Shift with Overhaul Mod to see what this engine can do.

Never tried shift 1, 2 was effing awful, completely undrivable.

You should have tried some of the community mods. They helped it greatly.
Shift 1 was even better with the overhaul mod. In fact, I still have a blast with it occasionally. I don't see PCars to be such a massive leap over Shift to be honest. Graphics, yes, but dynamics, playability etc, very similar.

You should have tried some of the community mods. They helped it greatly.
Shift 1 was even better with the overhaul mod. In fact, I still have a blast with it occasionally. I don't see PCars to be such a massive leap over Shift to be honest. Graphics, yes, but dynamics, playability etc, very similar.
Might buy it just to test the mod (overhaul). But I reckon there's not much online racing going on that requires the mod?

I am that hardcore I glow in the dark, so hardcore in fact I did not buy the Shift series.
Looks like they might be more sim than I thought as some here are still putting time into them.
I might just take off the ultra hardcore boiler suit and mask and take a dip :p

Nice to know. But if you are that hardcore, I seriously doubt you will like Pcars to be honest. The real hardcore sim racers live in Iracing world (and Rfactor league world) and rarely bother themselves with normal fun and pretty driving race sims.

I class myself in the middle really, a bit of fun, a bit of online racing league stuff and some hardcore occasionally. But I still prefer retro race simming the most. My hobby time is usually spent racing Nascar Racing 2003, F1 99-02, GTR2, GP4 etc.

It was a joke Andy as I find myself laughing at people who consider themselves "hardcore" regarding anything.
I have loads of fun in driving games, won't tell you witch as some on here would try to attach or remove this weird hardcore thing that discounts or elevates someone opinion based on the software they use.

Nice to know. But if you are that hardcore, I seriously doubt you will like Pcars to be honest. The real hardcore sim racers live in Iracing world (and Rfactor league world) and rarely bother themselves with normal fun and pretty driving race sims.

In those worlds, it eventually stops being about realism and it all focuses on beating the opponents by using whatever means and exploits possible.

Shift 1 had some interesting physics and, though designed as Arcade/Simcade, at times it didn't feel that different to a real car. Not saying it was a good 'sim', just that it wasn't that bad at times. When the irritating NFS physics cut in though, with huge corner tailslides, that's when it showed the arcade pedigree. In real life, on any track you like, it is never faster to go round the corner sideways :roflmao:

I've raced real cars and I know the limitations of race sims. The main one is that you get no inner ear/feel/g-shifts to let you know what the car is actually doing. It has to come down to the feel at the FFB wheel and visual clues. That's why GRID, for example, is a terrible simcade - the blur effects take away all your visual clues.

I experiment in games with the settings where G-Force can affect the head/camera position as that helps with the visual clues for a real driver. Bouncing the view around is very unrealistic though since, again in real life, you keep your eyes focussed on a point ahead of you, whether an apex, a gap, a braking marker, the view never looks 'bouncy' through real eyes unless you have a huge off over rutted ground. ;)

I am still adapting to the lack of feel, but I know when a car is handling correctly and when the 'physics' are total BS designed to just make the game hard. The car should feel 'planted' when you are driving it the way you drive the real world version, not twitchy, jittery, slidy, etc. Difficult is not better - usually it is simply inaccurate. :thumbsdown:

I try each game's Demo for hours, where possible, trying to dial in the FFB so it actually feels like the real car and gives me the clues I need for traction levels. I mainly pick up Minis and WTCC FWD racers because that's where my real life experience has been concentrated, apart from a few years in Germany in the 1980s when I raced Porsches with some Army friends.

I can drive RWD, I just like the feel of FWD cars.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with PCars nearer to launch and hoping they get it right, unlike 'Drive Club' on PS4 which launched 3 weeks ago, about a year late, and still doesn't work. :cool:

Hi guys! i discovered the MAGICAL SETTING on the WMD Forum. especially for the G27 this setting makes a difference of day and night.

you have to lower TIRE FORCE setting to MAX 30.
FFB strength 100.
Tire Force setting is now on the controller calibration page in the bottom right corner.

it makes the FFB so detailed, that the physics shows the full pontential! you can feel everything!!!! i am totally blown away... try it out and report back. i am curious what you guys think...

Reactions: ONT

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea