Post your videos thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I condone conversions, but has anyone had a try to get the whole TDU island, or parts of it, from TDU into Racer :D

Some really nice areas on there!

I really like the run across the desert part to the west, and it rises up into some small mountains and has a switchback section and so on, then comes back down the other side and onto the flats again.

OH GOD YES!

Just about everyone has that flashing shadows problem, looks like a Racer bug for Ruud to work on!

Or it might just be geometry/shader issues on the track.

I'm having some really nice results with CSM on tracks that are really solidly built... I do still get flashing, but it's nowhere near as bad as in that video above.

Hmmmmmm... clearly some optimisations to come from Ruud over the coming months, but I think that we also have to make sure our tracks are up to scratch too :)
It's an effect that relies on good authoring of the content that uses it... unfortunate in some ways as some content just isn't designed with shadow casting in mind, yet when it is done, stuff looks really wonderful!

Dave

I can't find where to find "shadow frameskip" in the racer.ini file, I need directions, please!
I adjusted the min/max values of "Throttler detail limits" in Racer.ini and the shadows all disappeared, I don't know why!

Code:
shadowmapping
  {
    ; Enable shadow mapping? If enabled, changes the Cg shader directory to
    ; data/renderer/shaders_hdr_csm (!) instead of data/renderer/shaders_hdr
    enable=1
    ; nr of splits used, each split takes one extra render loop (3 should be enough)
    splits=3
    ; split distances 0 - 3, each distance higher than the previous one
    splitdist0=10
    splitdist1=60
    splitdist2=200
    splitdist3=1000
    ; Correction added in the shader because of floating point precision
    splitcor0=0.00025
    splitcor1=0.0005
    splitcor2=0.002
    splitcor3=0.005
    ; the amount of frames to skip to increase performance
[B]    splitrenderjump0=0
    splitrenderjump1=0
    splitrenderjump2=10                         Set these at 0 splitrenderjump2 and 3. But will be a little slowly.
    splitrenderjump3=20[/B]
    ; offset the framecount for jumping frames
    splitrenderoffset0=0
    splitrenderoffset1=1
    splitrenderoffset2=2  [B]Set these at 0 again, splitrenderjump2 and 3. But will be a little slowly.[/B]
    splitrenderoffset3=3
    ; texture resolution
    mapsize=1024
    ; intensity of the shadows (lower = darker, try 0.5)
    shadowintensity=0
    ; debug mode (paints splits)
    debug=0
    ; size of the debug polygons rendered
    dbgsize=128        
  }

I wonder if the split jump is simply flickery due to the calculation being different every other time it calculates, or if in some cases/tracks it is simply doing the split, rendering it for that frame, then leaving it blank until the next calculation? Ie, it's not sustaining the last calculated info for 10-20 frames?!

It might just be a bug if so...? Hmmmmm

Can't tell what causes the flicker, it happened for me once on Carlswood but the next time I started Racer it didn't. I was editing the car shaders but not the track ones.

The cameras are completely dysfunctional in replay mode with 0.8.10, track cameras do not follow the car and I edited a lot of bits out of this video where it was just staring at a single tree for a while.

New video card means the new graphics features work, though. Running entirely "stock" shaders for now, probably need to tweak them a bit more for satisfaction.

standard_tree_v/f does not get shadows cast on it for some reason :confused: I guess I'll look into that.

The flickering is caused by the shadow mapping not moving per shadowmap-pixel in light space.
That's something that is not very high on the priority list, but since it seems to be disturbing, we should reconsider.

3 splits is enough detail
2 splits works great too if you dont mind a little less detail (set the split distances higher to cover more distance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back