Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

• Deleted member 197115

How is the wireless on Podium as BT seems to be spotty for some on SC2?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

flawless, as it works with pins inside the hub, there is no wireless signal in the ether
Yeah, afraid GD need to go back to the drawing board if they want truly competitive wireless solution instead of "we also have it".

Upvote 0
Yeah, afraid GD need to go back to the drawing board if they want truly competitive wireless solution instead of "we also have it".

Plus SC's solution doesn't support analog clutches. I have found that the USB cord is not a big deal though.

This is an issue though, because coming from an CS 2.5 I initially considered a corded wheel a bad thing and the idea of it bothered me. Now I don't care, but I have never been a fan of the SC BT solution.

Maybe it would help some people get over this if they all knew that REAL F1 wheels are corded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Plus SC's solution doesn't support analog clutches. I have found that the USB cord is not a big deal though.
their wireless signal has limitations indeed.
i guess when you dont use a lot degrees a cord wont be a problem (for racing) but drifting is a no go if you ask me and rallying.... rather not imo.

Its 2020..... c'mon.... look at what a brand as simagic dd can do with wireless....

But everyone has his own pro's and cons, isnt it. I really cant stand the fanboying about brands these days.... just stay open minded, whats important for me, doesnt need to be important for someone else.

But as sc2 has completely good wireless options it would have made it a even harder decision for me (and believe me, it had some thoughts in it allready LOL) but the investment would cost me about 1000 euro more at least if i had to buy sc2 with 2 different kind of rims (not even talking wireless), quite some amount for (maybe) just a little better immersive experience.

Upvote 0
I got my SC2 because I wanted better wheels than I could get from Fanatec.

So to your issues. My Rally wheel is a real Momo 330 rally wheel. It has no cord and no buttons. I don't need anything on a Rally wheel. I have a sequential shift and h pattern I use for rally and a button box to the left of my wheel.

My PSE GT3 wheel is 310mm and is amazing and everything I hoped for. I LOVE it! I use it for everthing except rally or drifting. It has great paddle shifters and the switch gear on the wheel is best of best.

I had the Fanatec Porsche wheel and McLaren wheels. I upgraded their paddle shifters and their switch gear was still cheap.

So choose what you want, but it seems many DD owners have regrets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got my SC2 because I wanted better wheels than I could get from Fanatec.

So to your issues. My Rally wheel is a real Momo 330 rally wheel. It has no cord and no buttons. I don't need anything on a Rally wheel. I have a sequential shift and h pattern I use for rally and a button box to the left of my wheel.

My PSE GT3 wheel is 310mm and is amazing and everything I hoped for. I LOVE it! I use it for everthing except rally or drifting. It has great paddle shifters and the switch gear on the wheel is best of best.

I had the Fanatec Porsche wheel and McLaren wheels. I upgraded their paddle shifters and their switch gear was still cheap.

So choose what you want, but it seems many DD owners have regrets.
This is exactly what I meant probably thousands sold and a couple of social media post make you react that most people have regrets.

so tell me, if I buy only a base for around 1200euro because I have wheels allready or I buy a base for 1400 euro, and add a wireless modulehub and a rim ( minimal 700 euro for gt style because I don’t wont 3D printed stuff for those prices ) and a extra quickrelease and a stock wheel ( as I also run a drift/rally with sequential, whereI go wrong in my calculations....

its really strange how people want to justify their expenses.... there are just many choices don’t act like one is the holy grail because each product has their plusses and minors.

the fun fact is that you get a sc2 for better wheels ( I can understand that) but you can’t compare a 6 or 700 euro wheel to a 300 wheel do you.....?Fun fact 2 I see a lot of simcube drivers using fanatec wheels either... so I guess those aren’t “that” bad after all.... for the price.

I am Just here to share experience, not to promote brands.... Endless discussions....

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Just another option for existing Fanatec wheels owners considering different wheelbase.
But yeah, it won't be wireless if that's an important criteria for some.

And for people who doesn't know a history behind SC2, it is actually 4th generation of DD wheels running on GD hardware.
1. Argon OSW
2. IoniCube OSW
3. Simucube 1
4. Simucube 2

When Podium is the first ever Fanatec DD wheel.

Plus SC2 has some unique filters I haven't seen on other wheels (reconstruction, ultra low latency, static force reduction), all that stuff helps to tune less than perfect FFB signal we get from our sims.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I too know people who have converted Fanatec wheels over. You will find people regret doing that too. The McLaren wheel is known to start making noises after a while on a direct drive wheel base.

As far as.social media goes, this is not a single post. This is post after post after post. After a while a trend forms.

I thought my CS 2.5 was a very good wheel base I still think it is the best belted wheelbase available. I don't hate Fanatec and I don't feel like everyone should buy what I buy.

My son is still using my whole clubsport groupo and getting good service out of it.

I have a pretty generous toy budget, and I'm not saying you should spend a wad just because I did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is exactly what I meant probably thousands sold and a couple of social media post make you react that most people have regrets.

so tell me, if I buy only a base for around 1200euro because I have wheels allready or I buy a base for 1400 euro, and add a wireless modulehub and a rim ( minimal 700 euro for gt style because I don’t wont 3D printed stuff for those prices ) and a extra quickrelease and a stock wheel ( as I also run a drift/rally with sequential, whereI go wrong in my calculations....

its really strange how people want to justify their expenses.... there are just many choices don’t act like one is the holy grail because each product has their plusses and minors.

the fun fact is that you get a sc2 for better wheels ( I can understand that) but you can’t compare a 6 or 700 euro wheel to a 300 wheel do you.....?Fun fact 2 I see a lot of simcube drivers using fanatec wheels either... so I guess those aren’t “that” bad after all.... for the price.

I am Just here to share experience, not to promote brands.... Endless discussions....
There are many well documented comments by others that have switched from Fanatec to SC2, for a variety of issues stemming from software issues, quick release mechanism, hardware failure....
To my knowledge, I recall one user on this forum that actually switched from SC2 to Podium DD1.

This is Fanatec's first crack at DD, there are likely to be issues in the intern however as I understand it GD has been at DD for well over 10yrs. Experience speaks volumes. I, too am not brand specific, I choose to spend my money on the best quality components affordable to me. RCheliguy has top notch components which I'm sure add to the overall experience and immersion.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

^^ Granite made the first Ioni controller for OSW in 2015, Simucube 1 in 2016, Simucube 2 in 2018. So only 2 years since their first complete dd wheel. Before that they only provided component for the diy market.
I thought Argon and Ioni both were generic controllers used for DIY, nothing OSW specific.

Upvote 0
Argon was, but I gave idea for Ioni to Tero during at 2014, when the idea was born. Yes, it was made ‘generic’ to support other devices/industries also, but OSW gave birth to it ;) Same for Simucube interface also.

Strictly speaking, Tero was planning small Ioni-like device for printers etc, but we met at end 2014 and discussed the 4x form-factor expanded to 8x and much bigger amperage to support dd wheel servos.

So that‘s where GD involvement /interest to DD wheels was born. Before that, few German guys were using Argon via RS485 interface to Bernhard Berger’s API, until MMoS FW on the discovery board came along. Simucube 1 of course supported MMoS FW too, but in the background, I was in discussions with GD that they need own FW for Simucube/Ioni, as it was never the intention to get free ride on MMoS IP, hence the change in direction there.

I came up with idea for Simucube 2 at end of 2016, as current OSW incarnation required a lot of my and few other’s time for support, even we were only end-users too, so I presented SC2 concepts to GD team. It took about 18 -months from concept to product, so today we have very good product.

It is little known fact that OSW also lead directly to birth of Podium DD wheels, I met with Thomas Jackermeier in Germany during 2016 SimExpo to discuss quite a few key ideas for a potential Fanatec DD wheel, where he also realised big potential in the dd wheel market ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are many well documented comments by others that have switched from Fanatec to SC2, for a variety of issues stemming from software issues, quick release mechanism, hardware failure....
To my knowledge, I recall one user on this forum that actually switched from SC2 to Podium DD1.

This is Fanatec's first crack at DD, there are likely to be issues in the intern however as I understand it GD has been at DD for well over 10yrs. Experience speaks volumes. I, too am not brand specific, I choose to spend my money on the best quality components affordable to me. RCheliguy has top notch components which I'm sure add to the overall experience and immersion.
I do understand that and I never said that that isn’t the truth.

but I think your just assuming things If your going to talk about regrets.....yes there will be some, but probably a minority to the masses.

I also see those post, but again, read my comments.... it’s also which features are to you and which price you can/willing to spend.

also I think you can’t compare those 2 brands as for sales numbers, I guess fanatec has sold way more devices so far as sc2. But i don’t have any numbers.

There will always be unsatisfied customers.
But the whole *look at my superior thingy* is really some toxic behavior.... (not saying that that happend in this posts)

but again, endless discussion.

Share a opinion is great but somekind of stating that a opinion is a fact... that’s where things go wrong if you ask me

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

also I think you can’t compare those 2 brands as for sales numbers, I guess fanatec has sold way more devices so far as sc2. But i don’t have any numbers.
Most likely, it is well advertised and recognized brand after all.
Same as theirs CSP pedals outsell HE and HPP. Higher end boutique market is always a smaller segment.

Upvote 0
Yes, I think that the software is the main issue with Fanatec at the moment. They have many issues with the firmware and it seems they can't get it fixed to the level that official drivers would require. The beta testing phase has been going on for a very long time now.

I've been lucky as mine works well, but I'm getting tires of the beta-stuff. With the latest driver most of my Univeral Hub buttons stopped working, wtf?

However, with the late last year beta firmware the FFB from the Fanatec DD wheels was improved greatly and I think it is now, at the moment, very close to best competing solutions.

Upvote 0
Yes, I think that the software is the main issue with Fanatec at the moment. They have many issues with the firmware and it seems they can't get it fixed to the level that official drivers would require. The beta testing phase has been going on for a very long time now.

I've been lucky as mine works well, but I'm getting tires of the beta-stuff. With the latest driver most of my Univeral Hub buttons stopped working, wtf?

However, with the late last year beta firmware the FFB from the Fanatec DD wheels was improved greatly and I think it is now, at the moment, very close to best competing solutions.
Totally agree, this is a part what they really should have fixed by now. It’s long enough on the market to give people a solid version.

for me personally the latest beta works fine but this one with the latest filters should really be the one you install right out of the box because it’s a real big change ffb wise.

Upvote 0
good day all,

I really went through all 20 pages of this thread as I am seeing a lot of objectivity and factual information concerning these 2 main wheel bases. I have always been a casual car racing gamer on ps4 using a decade old G27 pedal/wheel set which got out of storage again around mid march. Got all the main titles like iracing, AC, ACC, PC2 and i do like the competitivenes of iracing and their physics model so i am spending some of my free time (between family and work) there. I wanted the 2-3 month testing period with the G27 to ensure that I actually like this type of activity and i can confirm i do (i do have enough RL racing experience which in this case is rather unfortunate as i do not see much of a correlation between the game and the actual thing so i am keeping my expectations relatively low on the end result).

I set a decent budget to create a motion platform based simrig and i am at the point of ordering the components now. I have no time constraints and I can wait 2-3 months for things to arrive, I have no previous experience nor any previous wheels or other components to keep me from selecting a specific product.

A few parameters that will influence my choice and I need your suggestions and insight with:
1. is the a substantial difference between a 20NM motor and a 25NM motor and does it really make a noticeable improvement in terms of detail/fidelity and smoothness? for someone who is out of the game like me it will not. for someone who is in the game like you? i am always for buy once buy right..+ this setup will need to withstand at least 5-7 years of use before thinking to make anothe change.
2. If the answer to 1. is yes then my choices are narrowed down to SC 2 pro and DD2. if the answer to 1. is no then I read and spoke with guys that have tried and are happy with the DD solution from VRS and their small Mige based DD wheel base rated at 20NM and i will likely head that way due to the simplicity of "setup and drive: and the proven reliability of the motor. Having said that DD1 is in the equation for comparison purposes as well, but the scale tips a bit towards VRS due to price (and a very positive review from Barry-SRG).
3. i want to dedicate more time in driving instead of twicking some setup software, unless its a one-time deal with setup and go run or adjust 1 or 2 max sliders prior to a game
4. customer support
5. max limit within my budget for the dd base only is up to $2k (excluding any wheels)
6. i discussed/read/heard that the QR system in SC2 pro with that pin prohibits a number of custom paddle shifters from installed at the back of a wheel. is this statement accurate?
7. i understand that the DD2's current issue is the software and drivers version but again if i understand correctly if you execute the updates in a specific step sequence then things tend to work. apparently with their latest version drivers things have greatly improved by introduction of new filters

thank you for reading this

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi @paladin21 and welcome.

I personally don't think there would be a great deal of difference in smoothness and fidelity between 20NM and 25NM motors. I'm sure a small difference will exist but that difference would be negligible in the circumstances you've outlined. There are others here that do have real world experience of the two different strength motors so I'd wait to hear their opinions on this as they'll carry more weight than mine.

The VRS solution looks like it's well up to the task from what I have seen and read. The more simplified software also fits in well with what you are seeking in terms of moving just a couple of sliders and then getting on with driving.

Having said the above, I'd still personally choose the SC2 over all the others, but then my checklist would differ from yours (no external control box and large cables etc)

Regarding the SC2 QR and amount of room for shifters, I've just taken a quick measurement and there is approximately 40mm of space from the front most edge of the QR pin handle and the rear face of my button box.

IMG_20200606.jpg

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
@EsxPaul hey thank you very much for the reply and really appreciate the picture. it actually sheds lots of light on that statement i received. not sure what the guy was using that could not fit the paddles unless there was a modular design that had greatly increased thickness. can i ask which wheel you are using with your sc2 pro?

If i was blindly going out today to buy something it would probably be the SC2 pro only because of the lack of negative feedback compared to the units sold on the functionality of the wheel base, leaving a gray area on the complexity of setting up the software. main reason why i am looking for more informed decisions and insight from you guys.

do you need to setup the software per game? or per game per car?

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea