Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

I have a question, is the Fanatec DD1 just not a good DD base?
I'm sort of "fully" invested into the Fanatec eco system, I have V3 pedals and don't really have an interest in buying Heusinkveld pedals.
I'm considering DD1 after moving into our new house next year, but I see what basically looks like universal agreement that SC2 is better.
The thing is, I love this hobby and I want to get really good at driving, but I'm not sure I would ever really feel like a DD1 or SC2 Sport isn't "good enough" and I would regret not going DD2 or SC2 Ultimate.

Also, I'm mostly interested in opinions of people who have used DD1/DD2 on recent drivers. I feel that sunken cost fallacy is a real thing in this community and people tend to take very absolute stances on what they think is true or false.
I use a dd1 and it’s insane.
I would advice to use the latest beta software tho. That implements new features which makes the base super smooth.

my advice, get known with what all the sliders does to adjust things.

only then you will get the most out of your base and can adjust everything to your likings.

I really have insanely detailed ffb, dialing in the settings well is a gamechanger.

Upvote 0
I have a question, is the Fanatec DD1 just not a good DD base?
I'm sort of "fully" invested into the Fanatec eco system, I have V3 pedals and don't really have an interest in buying Heusinkveld pedals.
I'm considering DD1 after moving into our new house next year, but I see what basically looks like universal agreement that SC2 is better.
The thing is, I love this hobby and I want to get really good at driving, but I'm not sure I would ever really feel like a DD1 or SC2 Sport isn't "good enough" and I would regret not going DD2 or SC2 Ultimate.

Also, I'm mostly interested in opinions of people who have used DD1/DD2 on recent drivers. I feel that sunken cost fallacy is a real thing in this community and people tend to take very absolute stances on what they think is true or false.

Everything I've read, and since found out for myself, would suggest that the Heusinkveld pedals would be a better buy than any DD wheel. A CSW wheel base will let you be as fast as a DD base, the pedals will help you be faster and more consistent. a DD base may help you be more consistent than a belt driven wheel but any improvement in speed will probably be marginal, they're as much about immersion than extra pace.

In my case it was pedals then vr and finally DD base that improved pace. All of them help consistency and immersion.

Upvote 0
One issue of concern for me is that Simucube seemed to catch a lot of Simucube 1 OSW owners by surprise with the sudden closed system of Simucube 2.
I'm considering going with Simucube 2 Sport or Pro over DD1 because in Japan the DD1 is quite expensive (About $1500 for just the base, which I can get a SC2 Sport with an F74N and upgrade the QR for that price), but this entire thread here has me really concerned:

https://community.granitedevices.com/t/simucube-1-vs-simucube-2/2381

I'm a software engineer and the things Mika and other Granite employees say, is the same stuff most companies say when they definitely intend to stop development for a previous device but don't want to incite people yet.

Upvote 0
^^ I am not sure why it would be a concern if a company moves from providing components for a dd wheel, to proving a complete wheel/turnkey product, similar situation as to what Bodnar, or fanatec is doing.

Why is this of a concern to you?

So you are a software engineer - do you give your work away for free, or do you sell it? Just wondering ;)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Support for now phasing out product was included in the original price, development of the new features is different issue.
Glad that GD is at least trying to do both, but it's not a secret that obsolete product will not be priority for them and in time SC2 will be phased out just as SC1, or like OSW solutions based on GD hardware (Argon and IoniCube) before that.

Upvote 0
One issue of concern for me is that Simucube seemed to catch a lot of Simucube 1 OSW owners by surprise with the sudden closed system of Simucube 2.
I'm considering going with Simucube 2 Sport or Pro over DD1 because in Japan the DD1 is quite expensive (About $1500 for just the base, which I can get a SC2 Sport with an F74N and upgrade the QR for that price), but this entire thread here has me really concerned:

https://community.granitedevices.com/t/simucube-1-vs-simucube-2/2381

I'm a software engineer and the things Mika and other Granite employees say, is the same stuff most companies say when they definitely intend to stop development for a previous device but don't want to incite people yet.

Bad timing on this one:

Closed beta started and they not only overhauled all the code from SC1 to SC2 base but also ported over some of the key features of SC2 like the new bump stop and static force reduction.

So SC1 users are about to get some of the best features of SC2 for free.

Upvote 0
^^ I am not sure why it would be a concern if a company moves from providing components for a dd wheel, to proving a complete wheel/turnkey product, similar situation as to what Bodnar, or fanatec is doing.

Why is this of a concern to you?

So you are a software engineer - do you give your work away for free, or do you sell it? Just wondering ;)
I don't make promises I don't keep.
Engineers have a saying, "under promise, over deliver".
Why are you guys bashing me for stating my concerns? Man this forum is incredibly toxic.
No wonder people prefer Reddit...

Upvote 0
Bad timing on this one:

Closed beta started and they not only overhauled all the code from SC1 to SC2 base but also ported over some of the key features of SC2 like the new bump stop and static force reduction.

So SC1 users are about to get some of the best features of SC2 for free.

Their SC1 was free? Where did that happen? I thought the SC1 was like $1000 to $2000 and a part of that went to Granite Devices for their electronics?

Upvote 0
I don't make promises I don't keep.
Engineers have a saying, "under promise, over deliver".
Why are you guys bashing me for stating my concerns? Man this forum is incredibly toxic.
No wonder people prefer Reddit...

You are getting involved in a discussion without having your facts correct. Your concerns about this specific topic is invalid. Nothing toxic about my reply, simply stating reality.

Cheers,
‘Beano

Upvote 0
Their SC1 was free? Where did that happen? I thought the SC1 was like $1000 to $2000 and a part of that went to Granite Devices for their electronics?

"I'm a software engineer and the things Mika and other Granite employees say, is the same stuff most companies say when they definitely intend to stop development for a previous device but don't want to incite people yet. "

For the record, that's your comment. Not mine.

I disputed that notion by providing direct evidence contradicting your insinuation.

If you have direct evidence that supports your theory in relation to Mika and Granity, please share it.

Upvote 0
People should remind themselves that Granite Devices initially sold ioni/ionicube components to facilitate diy‘era to build ‘osw’ wheels. A STM32F4xx Discovery controller running MMoS FW was also required, acting as a USB interface.

After my talks with Granite Devices, the Simucube 1 was born. Still only components provided to diy’ers to build OSW wheels, still running MMoS FW.

The community was supposed to have done the open FW to replace the aging MMoS FW, but thus never happened. As a result, Granite Devices stepped in and developed a free FW for us all, again, to serve the diy community. No other promises implied or given back then, despite the fact that they did not ask anything from us for development costs.

Again, I was the guy that initiated the next development path, discussing my vision for ffb with Granite Devices, and a COMPLETE product, Simucube2, was born.

Like said, Ted, whilst you raised your concern, it is baseless in this instance, bearing in mind Mika is about to drop a new Simucube 1 FW, incorporating many developments from the Simucube2 FW, onto the world......despite the fact that they still don’t get a cent for developing FW for a ‘product’ that only used a part of their component-portfolio.

So, please, elucidate on the reasons for your concern, or the ‘broken promises’ you are alluding to?

Upvote 0
The SC2 is supposed to have more powerful processors. the SC2 ultimate even more so.

Now that Fanatec and Granite State have released their hardware, we have a software arms race.

Fanatec recently released new software that is supposed to improve FFB.
New and improved filters on the way for the SC2 as well.

The software side of this is just as important as having good hardware. It does look like the SC2 has more processing power to work with and they should have more experience building these filters using less powerful processing, so hopefully they are maximizing what they now have.

Frankly I think people get used to whatever they have.

Where do you get the info, that the SC2 processor is more powerful than DD's? I couldn't find any processor specs anywhere

Upvote 0
Hello Guys,
‘I have studied both Podium and Simucube 2 infrastructure quite deeply. Podium is similar in processing power to the older original Simucube, whilst Simucube 2 have approximately 4x the processing power of the original Simucube.

Due to this, it will allow significant more advanced and powerful filters vs anything else available currently. Things may however change in the future, but the Simucube 2 series have a significant head-start, with new FW developments coming soon again.

For the record, the processor /basic infrastructure between all Simucube 2 models are the same, with the same overhead available on all components. As an example, I have been running a special version system at 40A POS for the last few months, to test the longer-term reliability of the system in general. No other system on the market have this overhead- parity available, this in itself will almost certainly guarantee a long life-time.

This allows the Pro servo, for example, to operate just over 1/2 the available amperage ceiling, should you run it at the full 25NM. Most peeps are running at 10-12NM max, which is 1/4 of it;s capacity.

Simply looking at the design and assembly of the different systems highlights the difference in quality. Anyway, enough of that, I am sure you get the picture.

Cheers,
Beano

Upvote 0
I've been hearing a lot of complaints about the Fanatec software and firmware lately. I know a few people who recently sold their DD1 and DD2's to get an SC2.

They claim they've been waiting for Fanatec to fix/finish their software for too long.

FWIW I feel like the SC2 software has been pretty well sorted since I got it last September. I've had no weird behavior and while they've been regularly adding features and I've seen bug fixes listed, none of the bugs have affected me and I've only upgraded my software once.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really believe simucube is leading in the dd market, as beano stated.
I watched his videos 20 times at least, as the same with the videos from Barry.
I read and watched a year before I decided which dd to get

although I was convinced sc will offer (maybe)“slightly” More for a lot more money as I have to buy new wheels (racing and drifting/rally), iwent for fanatec.

The thing for me was I allready had wheels.

availability for wheels and bases is good.

The software works great ( don’t know what people have for kind of issues but I think user error is more common as is software failure)

I want complete wireless wheels and no batteries....

And for me personally I always have very good experience with the products and compagny so far ( using fanatec for about 3 or 4 years)

Its recognized in as far as i know every single racegame you can play.

All kind of things thats important to me, so that’s what made me decide.

as for every dd will count, if you won’t dial in your settings really good, it won’t be a amazing experience....

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back