Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

That's been my concern since the first delay, it's a fairly minor part of their business and won't get much of their focus. Think I'll cancel and look at different options.

Since Covid-19 and people being stuck indoors, everyone and their brother has been building that sim rig that they always wanted. Most Sim related equipment is either sold out or in very short supply. The better the equipment, the shorter the supply. Some supply chain issues for parts from China further complicated this situation.

I remember how mad and frustrated people were last year waiting for Heusinkveld to ramp up production for their Sprint Pedals. Some people ranted and stormed off blaming Heusinkveld for their success. I've been reading lots of people mad at Sim-Labs for not keeping up with orders as well.

It's easy for me to talk about this unemotionally since I've got everything I wanted and am only considering one out of stock item that I'm in no immediate rush for.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Upvote 0
I am new to sim racing and I am wondering if I should go with the Fanatec or SimCube ?

I really like the Fanatec wheels, I need one for GT and one for F1.

Just so I understand, Simcube only makes motor is that it? You should then buy wheels from another company? I have a hard time figuring how it works? The wheel is cabled directly to the PC via USB, and the same applies for the motor?? They do not need to talk together?

I have also heard about Simcube wireless and cube controls wheels that can talk together wirelessly... Is this a good system? I don't like the idea of having a USB wire coming out of the wheel with extension cord to get to the PC, etc...

The SC2 and the DD motors are about the same price but the Cube Control wheels are much more expensive.

Anyway I want to build a rig from scratch (started a topic about that) and I'm lost.

Upvote 0
I am new to sim racing and I am wondering if I should go with the Fanatec or SimCube ?

Anyway I want to build a rig from scratch (started a topic about that) and I'm lost.

Two things.

1. Almost everything is sold out right now.
2. Don't buy anything until you know what you want. #1 will help with that one.

Once you have the lay of the land making a decision will be a lot easier. What you choose is not straight forward. Much of it depends on personal preferences.

Upvote 0
@tapidlittle from reading your post, I get the feeling that Fanatec would be the solution better suited to your needs. You really like the Fanatec wheels and you'd prefer not to have a USB cable attached to them which I think makes your decision easier.

To throw a spanner in the works, I'd personally pick the Simucube but there's no avoiding the fact that it's going to cost you more overall to pick up wireless GT and F1 style rims for it. It all depends on how much you feel comfortable spending.

Both systems would be great choices so pick the one that feels right for your situation and don't look back wondering if you've made the wrong choice :)

Just so I understand, Simcube only makes motor is that it?
Yes, they only make the motor.

You should then buy wheels from another company?
Yes, you would buy from a separate company. You have the choice of buying a usb cabled type, wireless type or even converting a Fanatec wheel to the SC if you wanted.

The wheel is cabled directly to the PC via USB, and the same applies for the motor??
Yes, both items would have their own separate USB cables.

They do not need to talk together?
They wouldn't talk together if you pick a usb type wheel as they'd have their own USB connections.
They would talk together if you pick a wireless wheel.

I have also heard about Simcube wireless and cube controls wheels that can talk together wirelessly... Is this a good system?
I use a wireless wheel with my SC2 and haven't experienced any issues at all. However, there are reports of random disconnections that seem to happen mainly with the Ascher wheels. The good guys at Granite Devices are currently trying to gather more information on this as they hunt for a solution.

See here: https://community.granitedevices.com/t/skipped-delayed-inputs-from-simucube-wireless-wheel/4746

Upvote 0
Wow thank you for all these precious infos.

I am wondering why the Cube Controls wheels are like 2-3x the price of the Fanatec Wheels? are they more robust, more high quality/professionnal related wheels compared to the Fanatecs?

You are saying that I can buy a Fanatec wheel and fit it on a SC2 motor if I convert it... you mean convert it to a USB output ?
What about the quick release, would that be compatible.

thanks again.

Upvote 0
Wow thank you for all these precious infos.

I am wondering why the Cube Controls wheels are like 2-3x the price of the Fanatec Wheels? are they more robust, more high quality/professionnal related wheels compared to the Fanatecs?

You are saying that I can buy a Fanatec wheel and fit it on a SC2 motor if I convert it... you mean convert it to a USB output ?
What about the quick release, would that be compatible.

thanks again.

You're welcome :)

The boutique rim sellers like Cube Controls do charge more for their wheels but they are made with higher quality materials and switches etc which drive the costs up. They also cannot sell in anywhere near as high a quantity as Fanatec which also effects the final costs. That doesn't mean Fanatec wheels are bad at all but there is a difference in quality that reflects in the pricing.

You can adapt certain Fanatec rims to fit the SC2 but that does involve having a USB cable. You also have to factor in the cost of the rim + conversion kit + magnetic shifters which which can drive the cost up towards the boutique rim territory. I converted a Fanatec McLaren rim to USB and it cost me over £500 so it can start to get a bit pricey.

If that's the sort of thing you think you'd like, take a look at the SIM Racing Machines website as that'll give you an idea of what the possibilities are. You can choose either to do the conversion yourself or have Simon carry out the work for you.

With converted Fanatec rims, you remove the original quick release, choose any 70mm QR that takes your fancy and then bolt that to the wheel. SRM can also supply these for you with any changes that are necessary: Sim Racing Machines

I personally think that if you really are set on having the Fanatec rims and they are the most important thing for you, go for the Podium. It'll make your life a whole lot easier if you stay within the Fanatec ecosystem.

If you can stretch to the higher cost boutique style rims, go for the SC2.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Just read the other day someone reffering to the metal used by Fanatec as "chinesium", bent Fanatec BMW wheel posted here a while back came to mind.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

That bent rim if it’s the one I’m thinking of was from a scammer who had also scammed another forum member claiming they sent him a broken shifter, doing a chargeback and then miraculously having a “like new” one for sale on the forums and somehow it was allowed to happen...
Remember that too, the guy was a total douchebag.

Upvote 0
Just read the other day someone reffering to the metal used by Fanatec as "chinesium", bent Fanatec BMW wheel posted here a while back came to mind.

Metal used by Fanatec, where? I've got and have had a number of Fanatec rims, and the BMW one if by far the strongest of those. I don't think how you could bend that in any reasonable use case, it's as sturdy as a real car rim. The other rims, like the formula round rims and GT-rims are same as Motamec rims, which are also sold for real car use. Overall, I think that the steering wheels are something that Fanatec does quite well, as can be seen in this topic. They are nice looking, not much issues with them (yes, I have the McLaren wheel ;) ) and the price is okay'ish.

Upvote 0
thank you ESXPaul, I am in Canada (Montreal) and there is a reseller near Toronto that carries all high end sim racing stuff. From there I will compare prices but the DD1/DD2 is about the same price as the SC2 pro. The GT and F1 wheel though is more than half the price of the Cube Control.

This is a project that I will probably start by the end of the year, anyway it looks hard to get parts these days....

From reading here, the SC2 pro has no real advantage over the Fanatec DDs?

Upvote 0
I personally think the Simucube is better than the Fanatec which is why I chose one but I can't back that up with any of my own hard evidence as I've never tried both. You could also say I'm biased, being a SC2 owner.

I had your exact questions and concerns around a year ago and I think it was more difficult to come to a decision back then. Both products were unreleased at that time and we had no video reviews or comparisons to help us. Luckily that isn't the case now :)

If I were you right now, I'd go back and read this whole thread (if you haven't already) and take it all in.

There are some good comparison videos contained in the thread and you'll come across a couple from people who have been lucky enough to own both servos that are particularly enlightening.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Which wheel are you using with your SC2 ?
This thread can give you good idea on what people use

You can use any automotive wheel, Sparco, Momo, Sportline, you name it, and get wheel plate that fits, like one from Ascher racing (wireless or USB, your choice). Some vendors sell wheel plate with wheel as a package, you can still change the wheel itself.
Formula style wheels are exception of course.

Upvote 0
I have a question, is the Fanatec DD1 just not a good DD base?
I'm sort of "fully" invested into the Fanatec eco system, I have V3 pedals and don't really have an interest in buying Heusinkveld pedals.
I'm considering DD1 after moving into our new house next year, but I see what basically looks like universal agreement that SC2 is better.
The thing is, I love this hobby and I want to get really good at driving, but I'm not sure I would ever really feel like a DD1 or SC2 Sport isn't "good enough" and I would regret not going DD2 or SC2 Ultimate.

Also, I'm mostly interested in opinions of people who have used DD1/DD2 on recent drivers. I feel that sunken cost fallacy is a real thing in this community and people tend to take very absolute stances on what they think is true or false.

Upvote 0
I have a question, is the Fanatec DD1 just not a good DD base?
I'm sort of "fully" invested into the Fanatec eco system, I have V3 pedals and don't really have an interest in buying Heusinkveld pedals.
I'm considering DD1 after moving into our new house next year, but I see what basically looks like universal agreement that SC2 is better.
The thing is, I love this hobby and I want to get really good at driving, but I'm not sure I would ever really feel like a DD1 or SC2 Sport isn't "good enough" and I would regret not going DD2 or SC2 Ultimate.

Also, I'm mostly interested in opinions of people who have used DD1/DD2 on recent drivers. I feel that sunken cost fallacy is a real thing in this community and people tend to take very absolute stances on what they think is true or false.

I'm not a DD1/DD2 owner so my opinion won't carry much weight for you but I think that either of the Fanatec bases are the perfect choices to slot in with your current hardware line up.

I'm sure you won't have any "what if" feelings as the differences between the two brands will be minimal and certainly not enough to justify swapping out your current equipment.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea