Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

In my case, this does not work. I don't know why, in "Preference" - "HUD" I put a point.
I'm not sure I know what you mean. You only need to enable one setting to make Crew Chief work with WebHUDs:

CCWH.png

• Deleted member 197115

Why's that?
To have proper out of the box experience without need for a bunch of 3rd party apps to get HUD, spotter, head movement smoothing, etc.
Sim does not have OEM tire temperature gadget. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
To have proper out of the box experience without need for a bunch of 3rd party apps to get HUD, spotter, head movement smoothing, etc.
Sim does not have OEM tire temperature gadget. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because having one single app (not the "bunch" you claim) which enables most of that stuff and more is such a hardship, right? :confused:

There is a HUD in-game, you just don't like it. That's not the same thing. I don't like the default HUD's in any sim I play, but at least R3E and CC allows me to have one I like and can fully customise. Only one of the other sims I use has an audio spotter, and it's crap so I turn it off and still use CC instead. No sim I use offers any kind of voice commands to obtain useful information, only CC does.

As for head movement smoothing, I've never had any need to use any apps to do anything about that, even when I was a monitor racer. The only sim I know has an issue with that at all is AMS 2, and if you know of an app that fixes it I'm sure people would appreciate if you share the link.

• Deleted member 197115

I don't use CrewChief with ACC as stock spotter is pretty good already.
Ideally this is how it should be, Kunos looked critically at what people were asking for, missing in AC and added this functionality. Spotter, radar, proper head movement smoothing, look to apex, rating... All the stuff we managed via 3rd party apps in old AC.
Yeah, it's not the end of the world to start few apps before getting into sim, but I would never defend devs choice of unloading these functions to 3rd parties when it should be in the product they charge for.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. You only need to enable one setting to make Crew Chief work with WebHUDs:

View attachment 422045
That's what I meant. :) I am sorry, English is not my native language.

Thank you! I don't know why, but yesterday everything started working without launching dash.exe. Although, CrewChief was included with this option.

Ideally this is how it should be, Kunos looked critically at what people were asking for, missing in AC and added this functionality. Spotter, radar, proper head movement smoothing, look to apex, rating... All the stuff we managed via 3rd party apps in old AC.
Yeah, it's not the end of the world to start few apps before getting into sim, but I would never defend devs choice of unloading these functions to 3rd parties when it should be in the product they charge for.
On the one hand, you are right. But all the advantages of ACC are covered by one thing - UE4.

Last edited:
While ACC spotter isnt bad, certainly better than others, I still beg to differ. CC have loads more information, particularly during a race. And you can customize nearly every setting and it has voice command, so IMO its far better when you dive into the details.

but I would never defend devs choice of unloading these functions to 3rd parties when it should be in the product they charge for.
The core game is free... :p edit: sry for the wrong qouting, the forum is being funny...

Last edited:
Exactly. Its pretty I'll give it that, but the horsepower required is horrendous. I get 150-220fps on maxed out triples in rF2 and R3E when driving alone. Doing the same thing in ACC gets me 50. 50! The recommended hardware for that engine hasnt been invented yet.
The question is still about range distances - in RRE/RF2 I see the fonts on billboards, in ACC I see as if I were myopic and sitting 20 metres from the monitor. But it's a UE4 specific, so when the night time ingame, the picture seems stunning.

I have the RTX2070+Ryzen 2600X, which is the absolute minimum for the ACC. High settings and 24 AI(18 visible) - that's maximum playability on 60 FPS. Trees and mirrors, of course, completely destroy the FPS, but they still look disgusting - they'd rather be 2D than constant uploads with blinking shadows.

It is better to see a clear picture with the old graphics in the RRE than with the new blurred picture in the ACC. It is a paradox that RF2 works better than ACC.

Last edited:
Agreed, ACC looks stunning, especially during night or in the rain, but all that dosent matter if the required hardware would be something like a GTX 5090 which is frustrating.
I played around with settings in ACC when I got my new system up and running and the only thing I found made a noticeable difference was resolution scale. But lowering that made the game look crap. I managed to get it to around 90 fps without lowering RS but that was with me alone on a sunny day. 24 cars, night and rain and I'd be counting frames by eye. So I gave up.

Last edited:
I will dilute the praise with a small negative.

It's a pity that you only need to buy a premium package via VRP - only then is it profitable. It's a bit of a shame that I spent about $110 buying in parts, as I wasn't sure if I would play next. I also do not like the method of selling goods for which there is always a "discount" (not).
A progressive discounts scale depending on the percentage of content purchased - I think that would be fair.

On the one hand it is my own fault, on the other I consider the DLC sales system via Steam more fair. I'm not even talking about regional prices - this is a separate conversation at all.

Buying a DTM 2020 pack is more expensive than buying 2 cars separately- this is a good example. It's not like we're having a competition who's cunning, is it?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

While ACC spotter isnt bad, certainly better than others, I still beg to differ. CC have loads more information, particularly during a race. And you can customize nearly every setting and it has voice command, so IMO its far better when you dive into the details.
For me it is good enough not to bother to start extra app, I am still using it with AC though.
And all the sharpness issues in ACC is byproduct of suboptimal VR presets. If you look around for good settings, it is stunningly sharp and can perform reasonably well, even in VR.
Jaw dropping realistic on Reverb G2.

Hi everyone, I've been taking Raceroom for a couple of weeks now. I state that I started twenty years ago with the various GTR, GTR2, GTL, RBR, RF (1), LFS, NETKAR and so on .... currently I only have ACC, RF2 and DR 2.0. My opinion is that I like it enough but I find it a bit too permissive. My sim'physic reference is RF2 .... RR cars tend to understeer a bit but you can't get them to slide much. In RF2 you have to continually correct with the steering wheel and you can oversteer a bit when cornering. In RR they are quite stable. They also brake too easily, this is the worse in the game. In RF2, Acc, it is not possible to brake hard with the front wheels steered otherwise the load is moved forward and the car spin. In RR you can brake safely with the front wheels steered and you will only have a long brake and no spin for the weight transfer. This is unfortunately not good. I drive without TC and I keep finding cars that are not too demanding. This is the only note I don't like in RR. Try turn 13 and 14 in Sepang with RF2 and RR and you will notice the difference. Braking at Turn 13 to make Turn 14 is very difficult in RF2. Apart from that I find the audio excellent and the few hardware requirements very good. It's the only game I can do with 25/30 AI on track. I have not much interest in the night and rain, that's not what interests me in a sym. In terms of cars my favorites by physic/FFB are all GT2, BMW m4 (GT4) plus some GT3 (Corvette, Z4, Mercedes). Sorry for my english with (google translate).

Last edited:
If I am using R3E on my monitor it is by far my favourite sim, especially the ranked servers.
But in VR the performance is very poor which is a shame, it runs in VR but nowhere near as well as AMS2 or iRacing.
But I guess that is because of the outdated DX9 used.

If I am using R3E on my monitor it is by far my favourite sim, especially the ranked servers.
But in VR the performance is very poor which is a shame, it runs in VR but nowhere near as well as AMS2 or iRacing.
But I guess that is because of the outdated DX9 used.

I find VR a very strange beast in this game; yes performance is DX9-crapified but I find it runs really well with fixed ASW, capped at ASW 45fps and I find the artifacts are minimal.

I may be a bit weird (so people tell me anyway), but there's something about the graphics, even low-to-mid in VR...I just prefer them to any other sim, though AC can come close - there's something clean and sharp about the graphics that's missing elsewhere.

Still wishing for DX11 and offline play ofc.

I find VR a very strange beast in this game; yes performance is DX9-crapified but I find it runs really well with fixed ASW, capped at ASW 45fps and I find the artifacts are minimal.

I may be a bit weird (so people tell me anyway), but there's something about the graphics, even low-to-mid in VR...I just prefer them to any other sim, though AC can come close - there's something clean and sharp about the graphics that's missing elsewhere.

Still wishing for DX11 and offline play ofc.

I am also wishing for DX11, but worried that it will be Unreal as that is what GTR3 supposedly using.
If so then forget about decent VR and antialiasing performance, ACC anyone ?

I'm new to sim racing, been playing for a couple of months now. I have most of my time played on iRacing and AC, and just a few days back I stumbled upon R3E (I knew it existed but I didn't pay attention to it, sadly).

As I'm a novice simracer I will not be giving my opinion on physics etc. since I haven't spent enough time playing sims nor driven any racecars, so these are just my impressions of the game.

Let's start with graphics. I only play in VR, so I already have to make a lot of sacrifices to hit 80fps on Rift S as my rig isn't too great. But even with mostly everything on Low details, the game looks fine to me. I grew up playing competitive FPS games where we only cared about how smoothly it ran and not how good it looked, so I don't care about eye candy in sim racing either. When I start a race I feel like I'm sitting inside a racecar, and that's what matters. However, It is noteworthy that iRacing seems to be running/looking slightly better in VR while also being very CPU bound. I plan to upgrade my CPU (Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.9Ghz) to the new Ryzen 5600x, which should give me a stable 80fps in all situations at low to medium settings, so this will no longer be an issue.

Sound - simply amazing, the cars sound so visceral and this is easily one of the best aspects of RaceRoom. Not much more to say here.

Physics - as I've mentioned, I'm no expert here, but the few cars I've driven felt very good, especially after I have dialed in my FFB and discovered you can map FFB multiplier to a button. Awesome!

Singleplayer/AI - I generally don't like to play with AI, especially in sims as normally they would just follow each other in a train, but I did some practice with AI in R3E and I have to say it feels much better than in other sims - almost like you are playing with real people. Adaptive AI function is really sweet too.

Multiplayer - This is what initially drove me to try R3E. I really like playing against other people so iRacing was an obvious choice when I first started simracing, but lately I have not been having as much fun in it - I've been worrying about my iRating and safety rating more than I would like. So when I discovered R3E recently launched ranked multiplayer, I decided to take a break from iRacing and give it a shot, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I don't know why, but even in the rookie races which I currently play the racing seems more clean and people generally more respectful. What I really like though is the incident model - you can actually do some door to door racing without worrying about being DQ'd. Maybe it's my honeymoon period, but I do enjoy multiplayer races in R3E more than in iRacing right now. I haven't tried Sim racing system in R3E yet, but have had some good races in AC.

Also, bonus ponit - R3E devs seem very passionate and engaged. I enjoy reading their thought process about various stuff.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%