Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

My new opinion is an advance on my old. Its just become one of the best two sims. This and assetto corsa when you use mods/updates/engine updates in content manager and csp etc...

its become so very good. Maybe a little bit of tweaking for the ai now to combat new human inputs or something, but overall its amazing.

They wouldnt need too if they continued adding code and updating the current engine.
But there's several options they could choose from if they did, all of which comes with pro's and cons.

2017 they announced the move to Unreal engine...no news since
Several years ago they mentioned possibly updating to dx11 prior moving to the unreal engine to improve performance....no news since.

I'm not knocking the engine for it's graphics, I'm knocking it for it's lack of capabilities that add to the overall driving experience that all the current sims offer.
Track rubbering
Multi grooves
Track debris
Loose surface physics (madness/iracing)
Dynamic heating/day to night
Dynamic shadows effecting track temps
Dynamic tires
Etc.

After 10yrs I kinda wish we had of gotten a remastered Race07 isi engine than the current one. Reiza showed how far that engine could be pushed.

Thats something I often wonder. This is not to talk afoul of your ideas above. But I do not think its highly necessary for raceroom. As a pure driving sim its not missing out on too much. I mean even if it did have some of those superfluous things it wouldn't make the title too much better. The madness engine and Reiza are placing WAY too much weight on those things. Those guys should have spent the whole 2 years working on the driving.

I won't waste this thread talking about what is an inferior title despite having a lot of 'potential' but I will say that many people asked for that I am aware of now. Even with their latest content update the ongoing player count is only 150ish and 300 peak. It speaks volumes (no offence toward you and your ideas above) about how much we don't place a whole lot of emphasis on those things. And having played both I am in total alignment with my statement. I am so glad raceroom found the time to update these things - I think they understand what people want. And I am not sure Reiza knew what they were doing. The engine doesn't seem to have the 'hard lines' in it like other titles, and I now think its because the engine is an arcade engine (having read that) with physics dropped in over the top. Its why its so smooth. The truth is, its not a driving engine. And its become evident to me they are trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Even though I spoke of what is, admittedly an inferior title, people say its still fun to play. Thats fine. It really is - I am just mentioning that all to point out how far raceroom has come. Timely updates, core features. Its a well done and makes the auto 2 stuff look inferior. I know I own it, but it is not as good now, or then, and the gap got wider.

Last edited:
I must say I've grown quite fond of the new FFB. I haven't played that much since I chose a bad time to get back into R3E with the hot weather and all, but I've tried a few different breeds of car and I like them all now. As long as you set all the filters on TrueDrive to OFF (for SimuCube 2 users) that is :)

where i live bad internet download speed only 140 to 200 KBPS and only wi fi ,:mad: if i have a 5GB download takes up to 10 days
AND 90% of the time cannot connect to play raceroom
I hear ya man. Sometimes my net goes down completely so I get time to play(as I don't have to work) but then raceroom doesn't work so that sucks

Last edited:
R3E will always be in my weekly rotation, if for no other reason than the sheer number of cars and tracks (all quality). I've always seen it as the best way to learn every track there is (for the most part), without having to download mediocre mods or paying through the roof for content. I am, however, with just about everyone else here, in that, they would probably skyrocket with popularity if they either upgraded their engine to DX11+, or build the next R3E and allow all content from the first game (that's in the new game AND owned by people) to carry over to the next.

Last edited:
I love RaceRoom but it needs some serious optimization for CPUs. On my i5 9400F I have trouble keeping 60 FPS on High Preset. Especially on certain tracks like Nordschleife 24H, even with Time Progression on 0x (I just pretend this option doesn't exist, it tanks my FPS even more) and smaller grids (around 20-30 cars).

To make it run a bit better I need to set reflections to Simple Cube Map, visible cars to 20 with 20 contact shadows, set rear view mirror to Low, Shadows to Medium, disable Motion Blur, Car LOD to Medium. I know it's CPU because I can run 2x MSAA or 4k resolution with no drop in performance at all. (I have a 1660ti)

Is anyone else on a similar CPU also having such underwhelming performance in this sim?

Last edited:
I really like it, runs well in VR. I've only dabbled in online but the few races I've done have been great. It's got some of my favourite cars so far in that I've tried as well. Although AMS2 looks way better I can't get going with it for some reason. Will try again once 1.4 drops but they need to sort out better multiplayer. So at the moment, iRacing and Raceroom are my favourites.

When Raceroom first announced Ranked Multiplayer, there was a buzz. The poor man's iRacing alternative had finally arrived. In fact, a lot of mainstream YouTubers backed that exact sentiment. Remember?

I was suckered in for sure.

And then it went quiet. :)

Well after a break of a few years I am about to try and do some online races in Raceroom. Still my go to favourite race sim. Pity the old RRE race club is no more on here. I did enjoy our club races. :)

When Raceroom first announced Ranked Multiplayer, there was a buzz. The poor man's iRacing alternative had finally arrived. In fact, a lot of mainstream YouTubers backed that exact sentiment. Remember?

I was suckered in for sure.

And then it went quiet. :)
It had potential, but Sector3 neutered the amount of servers pretty quickly which IMO killed it.
There use to be several north american servers, with east and west servers.
They eliminated them and combined the North and South American server....connections within those servers suck with terrible pings.

Not really surprising tho, online numbers have never been great, especially in North America evenings.
Player base has always been UK peak times.

I fired up the game for the first time in yrs a few nights ago and enjoyed the driving experience and content, tho when I checked the lobbies at 8pm .....there was only 2 guys online in a UK server. :(
Luckily the ai is decent.

It had potential, but Sector3 neutered the amount of servers pretty quickly which IMO killed it.
There use to be several north american servers, with east and west servers.
They eliminated them and combined the North and South American server....connections within those servers suck with terrible pings.

Not really surprising tho, online numbers have never been great, especially in North America evenings.
Player base has always been UK peak times.

I fired up the game for the first time in yrs a few nights ago and enjoyed the driving experience and content, tho when I checked the lobbies at 8pm .....there was only 2 guys online in a UK server. :(
Luckily the ai is decent.
I am not sure why, but developers don't seem as focused on offering a good multiplayer experience. They underestimate its true value to their own revenue streams.
Perhaps they have conducted their own market research and have found the majority of Sim Racers prefer the offline/single player experience?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.4%