Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

Since the new FFB update ( a while ago) FFB has been reduced to a flat linear feel which totally disconnects car feeling. Actualy it has become the worst race game i own.
Re installed game few days ago, raced 5 minutes and uninstalled the game...never to be installed again. What a crap

I'm with you on this, have been since Dec 19 when I was on a G29 and now while I'm on a CSL PS4. Have tried all of the suggestions I've tried on the forums, from IMs and no change; christ I've even tried spinning off at Imola in a GT3 (GT3 is meant to have the latest model) and the wheel does nothing, no change in grip or resistance until you reach a canned effect like kerbs.

Just tried again, after someone said it had improved; nope no change, still nothing but road-bumps, kerbs and a general flat on/off resistance.

• Deleted member 963434

I'm with you on this, have been since Dec 19 when I was on a G29 and now while I'm on a CSL PS4. Have tried all of the suggestions I've tried on the forums, from IMs and no change; christ I've even tried spinning off at Imola in a GT3 (GT3 is meant to have the latest model) and the wheel does nothing, no change in grip or resistance until you reach a canned effect like kerbs.

Just tried again, after someone said it had improved; nope no change, still nothing but road-bumps, kerbs and a general flat on/off resistance.

i dont know what yo talkin abous? have yo driven real car? if yo compare yo sim ffb to yo car "ffb" it is very linear in real life. xD yo drive car mostly by feelin turn by yo body and by visual factor (yo see yo turnin etc) and wheel in real life is very very linear. so i find rrre has best ffb of all my sims. try invite friends to test yo rig tey will tell rrre feels best, yo just turnin car turns, car countersteers etc what yo want more? random rattling wheel shakin like in AC? thats so unrealistic they made it to imitate real life weight transfering an yo not feel tis thing by yo real life steerin wheel.

• Deleted member 963434

oh seems like i was responding to Boby Kim post abous linear feel, then i read yo message Jacob Marshall. i tell yo things yo need to set up is:
overall force to yo liking,
then rest in advanced settings like understeer effect, longtidunal steering rack etc all 5 options at 100, only minimum force at 0 and abs feel, kerb feel etc at 0. those are "canned" effects
but yo still feel then even at 0, an i tell yo in real life yo feel them too through steerin rack.
last thing yo tell "no change in resistance" i tell yo in real life resistance is like in rrre (theres no resistance changes) as yo steering wheel just follows where both front wheels are goin, so how yo steering wheel shall resistance again front wheels? as it follows them?
ffb in rrre is best i driven i tell yo most comparable to real life.

oh seems like i was responding to Boby Kim post abous linear feel, then i read yo message Jacob Marshall. i tell yo things yo need to set up is:
overall force to yo liking,
then rest in advanced settings like understeer effect, longtidunal steering rack etc all 5 options at 100, only minimum force at 0 and abs feel, kerb feel etc at 0. those are "canned" effects
but yo still feel then even at 0, an i tell yo in real life yo feel them too through steerin rack.
last thing yo tell "no change in resistance" i tell yo in real life resistance is like in rrre (theres no resistance changes) as yo steering wheel just follows where both front wheels are goin, so how yo steering wheel shall resistance again front wheels? as it follows them?
ffb in rrre is best i driven i tell yo most comparable to real life.

Tried those settings, and variations of them but still no joy; no sense of the tires loading up or breaking grip etc.

Now starting to wonder if something somewhere on my end is bugged, or not configured in game; getting no real FFB, almost as if the wheel is being treated like a controller.

I have used T300RS and I pretty much left it on default, maybe changing few buttons, and it felt really good for me, but I'm not an expert and I don't know how it felt before as I didn't have the game or the wheel yet.

• Deleted member 963434

Tried those settings, and variations of them but still no joy; no sense of the tires loading up or breaking grip etc.

Now starting to wonder if something somewhere on my end is bugged, or not configured in game; getting no real FFB, almost as if the wheel is being treated like a controller.
yo not feel those in real life, yo must get used to it, know track and learn braking points, wheel is just controller its visual factor that make yo turn good into apex, and brake if yo press to much and see car overly turnin or not turnin yo release it and straighten or turnin wheel more dependin on whats car doin, then drivin is more dynamic not so precise, as that it is in real life, not in iceRacin yo need to be soo smooth and precise and minimum input on brake can make car spin LOL. i tell yo rrre ffb and physics is very good, drivin so dynamic, car so connected like yo know yo can wobble wheel like crazy an yo not overdrive the car as easy as it is in iceRacin

Sorry, but I disagree with you. You do get those feelings in real life. I can feel the tyre load, understeer, and scrubbing through the wheel of my real VW Caddy, so I'm pretty sure you can feel it in a racing car too.

So good FFB which communicates to you is vital for sim racing, not least because you do not have all the other forces through the chassis affecting your whole body. Usually by the time you see something happening with the car, it's too late to do anything about it. You need that tell-tale feedback from the wheel that precedes the visual aspect to react in time.

Personally I do like the FFB in R3E, and find it pretty good at telling me what the car is doing. But as always, FFB is very, very subjective. We all have our own preferences when it comes to what we want and/or need to feel in order to get the best out of a sim. That's why sim racers can not and will not ever agree on which sim has the "best" FFB... because none of them do. They either suit a person's personal preferences, or they don't.

I've also had trouble with dialing in the tire feel with the new ffb.
I get a decent feel under braking but once the rear starts to break loose it's too late and I feel nothing until it's just about to come to a stop after a loop.
I even attempted to use the canned slip effect but that didn't even do much, maybe I gotta jack it up more?
As someone who has done a little bit of Karting and played in alot of off-road vehicles I agree with Goffik and from my own experience you can definitely feel the tires grip flex and load.... especially in a kart.
Go to your local go kart track and try for yourself!

Last edited:
For me....there's one thing to disagree on what 'good/best' ffb is, eg 'AC has better ffb than rf2'. They both have ffb that you can feel, so you can feel load/slip/scrub what ever and the discussion is about your preference.

In R3R I'm getting nothing, I mean I can feel road bumps, kerbs and grass but that's it. When I look at the ffb meter I can see the game is trying to send a signal (the bar goes up and down) but none of that signal is getting to the wheel; it is getting to my base shakers though, so the game is trying to send some kind of detail but that isn't getting to the wheel. This has been the case since Dec 19 on both a G29 and a CSL PS4.

So for me, it's not about which ffb suits someone's preference better than another, it's that I'm not getting anything at all but bumps and kerbs; it's this that makes me wonder if I have a local issue of some kind...wish it wasn't the case, pre Dec-19 I loved the game, even had some LB entries.

With respects to what can be felt in rl, well yeah I can feel scrub and slip and even on a commute the wheel goes light at 'high' speed, but even if that wasn't the case, in a sim we don't get the g-forces so I would expect the ffb to supply (suppliment) that information through the wheel.

In R3R I'm getting nothing, I mean I can feel road bumps, kerbs and grass but that's it. When I look at the ffb meter I can see the game is trying to send a signal (the bar goes up and down) but none of that signal is getting to the wheel; it is getting to my base shakers though, so the game is trying to send some kind of detail but that isn't getting to the wheel. This has been the case since Dec 19 on both a G29 and a CSL PS4.
I would suggest either a local problem, or a problem specific to certain wheels. I can feel the forces we're talking about on my T300 without issue. To be honest, I'm not surprised that more subtle effects are not coming through on a G29 as it was the same when I was using a G27, which is practically the same wheel. Equipment is always going to be a significant factor in the quality and communicative ability of a sim's FFB.

Ok so some success using RasmusP's settings; I know the defaults from Sector3 were crap, but christ almighty the difference between the defaults and Rasmus' is night and day; steering Force Intensity Default 100 is (imo) just too damn much, RasmusP's 40 for a CSL produces a much betetr effect.

Now I've something to work with I ought to be able to refine this and start playing R3R again.

You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.
gdF4od.gif
:)

Last edited:
Something happened lately with T300RS and RaceRoom. The default setup has nothing assigned except for steering and FFB is very bad. I don't know what happened, it used to be good straight out of the box...

Something happened lately with T300RS and RaceRoom. The default setup has nothing assigned except for steering and FFB is very bad. I don't know what happened, it used to be good straight out of the box...
I made a new profile from scratch fairly recently for my T300 and didn't have any issues. Most of the buttons are unassigned but that's just the way it is. It's left for you to configure the way you want it, since we all have different preferences. Many people also have multiple pieces of hardware that aren't necessarily the same brand (I use T300 wheel, G27 pedals and shifter) so need to do things myself.

As for the FFB itself, you're not really describing the issue so it's kind of hard to suggest any fixes. "Very bad" in what way? What is it that you want which you aren't getting? The FFB feels ok to me and others so you need to tell us what your issues are specifically.

I made a new profile from scratch fairly recently for my T300 and didn't have any issues. Most of the buttons are unassigned but that's just the way it is. It's left for you to configure the way you want it, since we all have different preferences. Many people also have multiple pieces of hardware that aren't necessarily the same brand (I use T300 wheel, G27 pedals and shifter) so need to do things myself.

As for the FFB itself, you're not really describing the issue so it's kind of hard to suggest any fixes. "Very bad" in what way? What is it that you want which you aren't getting? The FFB feels ok to me and others so you need to tell us what your issues are specifically.

The odd thing is that a while back a default profile had everything assigned, the pedals, shifting etc as for FFB, it's just very weak and vague, it also used to be far different before, I guess I need to find some good settings and assign the buttons myself.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.