Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

• Deleted member 963434

Im recently back at simracing after two damn injuries stopping me playing but ive spent a month or say putting big hours into R3E,AC,AC,AMS2,RF2 mainly trying the GT3 and Gt4 cars and find myself always going back to R3E.
Its a phenomenal sim, the most underated imo.
yes i agree think its most underrated sim ever in simracing (maybe LFS too but i never played it on wheel, just on mouse like 10 years ago so i dont know honestly how it looks on wheel)
but RRRE is so much underrated, like look pcars2 have more players lol, AC is still tellin to be best sim lol, iceracing when real life pros laugh at their ice physics tellin its actually so much harder to drive there than in real life xDD and them monthly subscription fees and cars expensive yo could buy new game for one car is ridiculous. and RRRE is free and i think has best ffb for sure, i dont know hows physics but it looks pretty real for me, but ffb i tell its best sim just for ffb.
my brother visited me after i made my i think final settings to all my sims to teest tis settings as non sim guy and yo know what he told when started driving RR? to put volume at almost max and told its best thing, and compared to AC which he was driving previous, he told AC is like (translating to english) "feels like as dull as dishwater" cars float all way (like boats thats what i been telling for some time) notin like real thing. he cant even make one turn in ac he let off wheel and it spinning and oscillating like crazy, in raceroom he hadnt even have thought to let off wheel, so good ffb

• Deleted member 963434

i tell yo best way to test yo sim is to put guy who drives REAL cars for YEARS and to show him particular sim
if he cant make one corner that means sim is not good, its harder than real life as most sims trying so hard to be xD (iceracing example when compared to real life drivers tellin its too hard=pCARS2 example as compared to "hardcore" simmers tellin its too easy to drive)

• Deleted member 963434

look how him father struggles to even hold straight line lol, "hardcore simmers" would tell its "weight transfer" yo need to feel EVERYTHING , and guy who drive REAL car for YEARS would tell its weird forces on wheel, thats what im tellin from months, RRRE has best ffb they managed to transfer real feel on wheel to sim wheel and yo put guy who drive real car and who never played any sim and he can drive straght away, thats definition of good sim, not floating weird forces weight transferring etc

yes i agree think its most underrated sim ever in simracing (maybe LFS too but i never played it on wheel, just on mouse like 10 years ago so i dont know honestly how it looks on wheel)
but RRRE is so much underrated, like look pcars2 have more players lol, AC is still tellin to be best sim lol, iceracing when real life pros laugh at their ice physics tellin its actually so much harder to drive there than in real life xDD and them monthly subscription fees and cars expensive yo could buy new game for one car is ridiculous. and RRRE is free and i think has best ffb for sure, i dont know hows physics but it looks pretty real for me, but ffb i tell its best sim just for ffb.
my brother visited me after i made my i think final settings to all my sims to teest tis settings as non sim guy and yo know what he told when started driving RR? to put volume at almost max and told its best thing, and compared to AC which he was driving previous, he told AC is like (translating to english) "feels like as dull as dishwater" cars float all way (like boats thats what i been telling for some time) notin like real thing. he cant even make one turn in ac he let off wheel and it spinning and oscillating like crazy, in raceroom he hadnt even have thought to let off wheel, so good ffb
Ciao Dario, also for me is underrated sim and also I made this mistake. I take RR few weeks ago and I love much more day after day.. I found a very good Fanatec csl setting but hope to resolve the window "pedal device missing". The only thing I would like is Real Head Motion like ACC. Bello il video con tuo padre! (lol)

Ciao Dario, also for me is underrated sim and also I made this mistake. I take RR few weeks ago and I love much more day after day.. I found a very good Fanatec csl setting but hope to resolve the window "pedal device missing". The only thing I would like is Real Head Motion like ACC. Bello il video con tuo padre! (lol)

Hopefully this will be fixed in the patch, if not:

OK first, it's a necro and I apologise, but it was also the first RaceDepartment post that came up when I searched this issue; so I'm piggy-backing on this one for when someone else googles the problem.

I've posted a possible fix on the RR3 forums for the 'Device Missing' problem, hope this helps.

"Ok I think I've found the fix, specifically for the CSL Pedals issue, but the principle should carry over.

Go to \My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet, (make a backup of your control set) then open the original control set with Notepad++ or something; in my case my control set was 'ffs'.

You must make sure that the pedals you WILL be using are configured; in my case they are HE Sprints.

Run a search for 'DeviceName[' (no quotes) until you find the entry for the "Fanatec pedals", it will look similar to the following:

DeviceName[01]="FANATEC CSL Elite Pedals LC"
DeviceId[01]="(1644433079, -1, -1, 0)"
Axis [01, 00] Dead Zone="0.0"
Axis [01, 00] Sensitivity="0.5"
Axis [01, 00] Center="0.5"
Axis [01, 00] Range="1.0"

Now run the same search until you find your pedals, eg;

DeviceName[02]="HE Sprints"
DeviceId[02]="(268513463, -1, -1, 0)"
Axis [02, 00] Dead Zone="0.0"
Axis [02, 00] Sensitivity="0.5"
Axis [02, 00] Center="0.5"
Axis [02, 00] Range="1.0"

In the following,
DeviceName[01]="FANATEC CSL Elite Pedals LC" replace
"FANATEC CSL Elite Pedals LC" with "anything you want" - do NOT change DeviceName[01]=, leave that part alone.

Now do the same with DeviceId, so
DeviceId[01]="(1644433079, -1, -1, 0)" (the Fanatec pedal setting), becomes

DeviceId[01]="(268513463, -1, -1, 0)" (the HE Sprint setting).

My before and after is:

Before:
DeviceName[01]="FANATEC CSL Elite Pedals LC"
DeviceId[01]="(1644433079, -1, -1, 0)"

After:
DeviceName[01]="HE Sprints"

DeviceId[01]="(268513463, -1, -1, 0)"

Save the file then load the game; you'll likely have to setup gas/brake/clutch but that's it, you should be good to go."

This might help.

I really enjoy the fwd cars in Raceroom.
I tested the Audi R8 GT3 in Raceroom and I was truly struggling to keep it on track during braking and cornering.
Tried the lastest update to the R8 GT3 in (iceracing as dario calls it) and I found it had way more grip out of corners and a better weight transfer feeling than Raceroom.
The grip was comparable to ACC 2020 R8 GT3 version.

Hopefully the coming update will improve the GT3 cars.

Love the sound in this game and having dropped my steam fps in Windows VR from 90 to 60 fps the vr is running great 200% steam SS high settings with 20 ai.

Enjoying a WTCR season against the ai than I am gonna do a 2020 DTM season next.

Hopefully there will be a content sale over the holidays so I can pick up some more

Last edited:
@herve45
What!!! 8 yrs in this game and I just find out now the R8 isint a fwd? Lol

Well aware the Audi R8 is a mid engine rwd
I said I enjoy the fwd cars in Raceroom, I think you missed the period at the end ;)
Tho I should have started a new paragraph I guess ? Lol

I bought all the new Audi R8s last night and gave them ago with latest v4.1 tire and physics update.
Overall they feel better than before, tho I need to tweak some of my ffb settings as I am lacking feel under braking as it has no forward weight transfer feel and the front ends feel really light during cornering like I am understanding.
Maybe a setup tweak will help as I was only using the stock tune.

Looking forward to testing and fine tuning over the holidays.

Last edited:
My opinion?

Its the most underrated sim going round. Its that simple and that impactful.

Like seriously - what the hell are you people doing?

I associate the game with the words sublime and lovely, the driving as inspirational and challenging, the A.I as very good and real buggers.

Yet it only gets at most 1,000 people, seems.

I have most if not all sims. I only have a willingness to drive in raceroom much of the time. It does not get in the way of itself, and it also delivers across all game modes. The marketing is naff and too much in your face (I ****in already bought the game guys) but the tracks are some of the best. I do understand it but do not appreciate it.

I know that they want to get around the exorbitant basically 30pc steam tax with some of that. Clever.

I would not say they 'oooh yeah more than make up for it.' Kinda but not really. Its a bad smell and something that I attribute to a lower uptake of the game, my main frustration perhaps. I do believe in the vision of race room, see.

And I have not hidden this view from my often opinionated pieces. I think its a game more titles should aspire to. Yes, its only been exceptional for nigh on 2.5 years now, heavily weighted toward the near term, but I also do not like the front wheel drive cars at all, thus I am happy to see many things updated as well.

So what is it about it, then?

The cars have heft and weight to them and the ffb is smooth and exact. Some games the cars are not as satisfying, and yes I know engines are light and breathing and airy and hollow in nature, but I very much like the weightedness about raceroom.

I think it makes a lot of other games, to varying degrees seem rough and hollow. While each individual car may not be the highest grade example of itself ever (automobilista 2's engine and size to scene ratio in graphics is very good and detailed too) across the board I rate raceroom higher. And yes some cars are absolutely the best one can find, like many of the porsches and audi's.

An example may be elsewhere the audi rms in original AC, on laguna seca its an amazing drive. It may even be slightly more detailed in some fashion than raceroom to drive, BUT raceroom is so smooth and its weighted transitions better, and the driving is pretty spot on.

- the cars take off better you can spin them out and find the thing overwhelmed, they sound better, they drive and feel usually better than other games. usually; there's no messing with the breaks and the setup is easy and intuitive to apply. And when the cars not they are in the top 3 easily usually. Its rare to get a disappointing car and track in race room. Very few are, if any. In other games AMS2 the group c cars are great as is the p1 ginetta, a few others, superb, but raceroom has more and to a higher standard often.

Ok so racerooms interiors are often not the best but this seems to be a limitation of the game engine than anything else and there is no night time - its a bugbear rather than a major disappointment.

So raceroom calls it an experience and I think its been developed to such a standard, and I am always left with the impression that raceroom has the highest overall experience across the widest and most varied categories.

So its a slam dunk the game obviously, and I think that experience thing matters. That it has decent multiplayer and lots of cars and tracks is a bonus; and it does a fair amount of obscure tracks too.

No I did not focus on many negatives. Its pretty decent in what it provides.

I'd call the game kickass.

Would I tell a lie?

look at the ams2 dev updates - basically reiterated my last two posts. More work to be done/solid foundation. Absolutely agree with that. So its hard to imagine a brain not subtracting but we usually do not, subtract, thus to remain unclouded I think about it along these terms. Maybe its a markets-focused background where you say there's always room for positivity and growth, so I do believe in the additive value of all that. And raceroom epitomized that.

But thats not a detraction there either. Its not easy making an experience like this and thus I commend it, yes I commend that work over there as well, but this is my opinion of the here and now. I am actually going to go now and drive the ginetta P1 at spa lol

Now, I did not like Spa, ever, liked austria, but only recently have I liked it and AMS2 played a big part in that.

before raceroom and I do like AMS2 - but I did not think much of racing sims. Ok time line is I got raceroom and I thought yes I see what they are trying to do - and no I do not have it in me to play it much at all. Back to maybe guild wars 2 or something, I played gw1 a lot recently. Yes 1. I know.... anyway... then I let RRR3e sit for some time and played AMS2. Then AMS1.

Then the other usual candidates, mainly Rfactor2, and AC, and ACC, dirts over time, etc, and then I came back to raceroom. Right after a huge patch.

Any title can be improved so its on a bit of a wave atm. But I consider it one of the genre's more unknown highlights.

I know I'm running contrary somewhat to Nigel Mansell, a fine gent and totally awesome dude, if it's the same, and maybe if not he is anyway, but I think the game is excellent.

Americans and British, the big 5 commonwealth country's of which for brevity I lump post french America(s) in with that... It's English, come on... All the big Dev studios come from those places, and cough Germany Poland cough.., we tell the best stories. It just is due to the unique history and tradition and intertwining world history. So I just wanted to clear that up to do with the length of this hehe. Top game.

Last edited:
The consistency of feel is what I like. I know the cars all handle differently but they handle how I expect from car to car. You don't get anything that seems like it's using a different physics engine. That's the main problem I have with AMS2. Some of cars feel horrible and not to the same standard.

rF2 and AC are well behind AMS 2 in the latest graphics tech stakes, so those comparisons aren't too surprising. Remember that all three are using different engines too, so direct comparisons aren't really that helpful. I mean, ACC is the worst performing of any racing sim in VR, and that's directly down to the engine it uses, not because of the way it actually looks.

As far as R3E goes, it is well known to suffer from CPU bottlenecking, which is also down to it's game engine. That tends to affect VR performance more than monitor performance, because VR uses more CPU.

I have a better GPU than you and I can't hit constant 90fps on acceptable settings either. But thankfully I'm not a slave to a frame counter. As long as it feels smooth, I don't care what the FPS is.

rF2 and AC are well behind AMS 2 in the latest graphics tech stakes, so those comparisons aren't too surprising. Remember that all three are using different engines too, so direct comparisons aren't really that helpful. I mean, ACC is the worst performing of any racing sim in VR, and that's directly down to the engine it uses, not because of the way it actually looks.

As far as R3E goes, it is well known to suffer from CPU bottlenecking, which is also down to it's game engine. That tends to affect VR performance more than monitor performance, because VR uses more CPU.

I have a better GPU than you and I can't hit constant 90fps on acceptable settings either. But thankfully I'm not a slave to a frame counter. As long as it feels smooth, I don't care what the FPS is.
oh well i was expecting a bit more cheers mate

thanks des i have also backed it off to 60 fps ,but ams2 is unplayable for me at one stage it was ok but after updates something has gone daft

Not sure why but I barely touch AMS2 at the moment, I find it unpredictable from car to car and not that much fun at the moment. I'll give it a try and see how it peforms in VR right now. If I get it to work I'll post my settings for you.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%