Opinion: What Do You Think Is Missing From Sim Racing?

I would like to see AI expanded to include engineers and mechanics to assist in setups and pit strategy.
And a team boss who will tells you to slow down your pace to make way for your teammate :p
seriously, this kind of simulation will really add to the immersion.

Last edited:
Content variety.

All games out seem to focus on GT3, LMP and/or F1 and most requests for unreleased games seem to be for the same. There's so much more out there!

Guess what, these are popular for a reason. Even if a sim doesn't have it like AMS, the community mod that in. GT3 provides the best door-to-door racing nowadays.

Am I missing something? I know about manually adding each car, but liveries? Like, recreating entire F1 race with real-life standings with real skins?
Yes you are, since next to the "+" mark at the list of the opponents you can enter to a Windows where you can select every single livery.

Simple answer, a real RACING simulation is missing. We have great physic simulator that looks nice, but no sim can reproduce a real race with all that things that can happen during a race.
In my opinion, the major problem is, in all games your are the "god" that does everything. You have to drive the car, edit the setups, look for the strategie, manage your pitstops and so on. But in real live your are just the driver and part of a TEAM! Where ist your crewchief in an actual sim? Where ist your chief engineer? Where is your teammate? And we need much more dynamic in a race. In a race you should be part of a team, so it should be possible that your chrewchief give you the advice to let pass your teammate, or calls you in the pits for an undercut or because there is a possibility for the savety car, because on the other part of the track a car crashed. Or he tell you to blick the car behind you to give your teammate infront of you a better chance for a win. Talking about crashes, where are the marshals with the flags, where are the tow trucks? Safety car, virtual savety car, RED FLAGS, race interruption because of rain or a crash? Why is there no outlap to the starting grid? Did you ever see the hand of god dropping cars on the grid, neighter do i. Physics are getting better, tracks are laser scanned, force feedback is almost over-realistic with modern DD-wheels, but the race himself is boring and steril. We need more technical failure, damaged tyres because of carbon parts after a crash, traces of oil and cooling water after a crash and so on.
The atmosphere is missing, the rest is almost the same in every sim.
This is epic Man!
I cannot but agree with every single word of yours.

- Training programs and challanges
Something like in RBR, GTR 2 or at least in F1 11-12
For me it's strange that gamemakers with all interactive possibilities don't try to explain for players how to improve their racing skills.

Guess what, these are popular for a reason. Even if a sim doesn't have it like AMS, the community mod that in. GT3 provides the best door-to-door racing nowadays.
I doubt that having seen the spread of lap times for those cars in AC for example and considering they are quite high end, wing clad race cars. Much more likely some cup cars or junior series cars without the big snappy slicks and aero bits and bobs would provide the closest racing.

My dream would be a fully equipped historical simulation, like GPL. Doesn't matter what exactly. Old F1, CanAm, old DRM. There were so much great series.

It's not enough, to just put some historic cars and tracks together. There in much more to do, to really get a simulation to feel right. I love all the small things, that old sims like the GP series or the Sierra sims had built in. Pitcrew, smoking opponents on the side, cars getting rescued with a crane, realistic weather and wet track, realistic damage, spectrators in historic correct clothes, menu music from the old times, etc.

All the new sims have nice graphics and physics, but are lacking all the immersive things. They feel just thrown together. They don't feel like the complete package, you got in the good old days.

Integration.
(Excluding iRacing, because I don't "own" it) Developers of sim racing titles are "nerd engineers" that demand "sim stuff" to blogs, forums, roadmaps, documents, youtube videos rather than explain the sim stuff into the sim.

Much more likely some cup cars or junior series cars without the big snappy slicks and aero bits and bobs would provide the closest racing.
That depends on the cup and junior series, they can show the gap even more than GT3. You have to keep in mind gaps in simracing are far bigger than IRL. A Porsche Cup and a F Vee can make the gaps way bigger (relative to their speed ofc), even easy cars like F3 will easily end up with gaps bigger than GT3. These cars only give the psychological effect of being close.
Closest races in simracing are made by not so high power, a ton of grip, no super brakes, no crazy top speeds and some decent draft effect. GT3 fits this on most tracks. Tho if you get the Megane Throphy car in rF2 with locked rear wing on max it'll be the most fun you can have online ever (but you'll still see the gaps)

Last edited:
I miss the kind of interaction we have on some flight simulators, for instance.
I wish some sim developer would focus on just a handful of cars (or maybe even just one) but make them exhaustively complete, down to the last knob and system. I wanna be able to roll down the window, check oil, inspect outside and under the hood, refuel the car, have persistent wear and damage... You know, not just appear inside the car and drive, but actually feel like you own and maintain the car.

Now in regard of gameplay, I dunno. With a sim like that, I'd be fine with just a nice open world to explore and sort of live in, but I guess you could have some kinds of race events as well.

One aspect I would like see in regard to the 'open world to explore' is the ability to trace out a circuit on something like google maps or any of the navigation sites. One would make a closed loop from the real world roads on the map. Then the software would generate a track based on the circuit you indicated, fill in the scenery from sources like google earth and other mapping data. With today's technology, it should be possible, but would take hours, even days to build the track and resources from all the required sources. But it would be very cool to race on roads you might already know, or roads in far away lands that actually exist.

As long as the software could accept mods from it's own route generator, people could let the map generator run for as long as it needed using their own processor resources, heck even cloud resources or distributed approaches (like SETI), but in the end, a fully compatible, geographically accurate, custom track as specified by the user, could be used by the sim.

More living "smells" in simracing:
More real feeling:More interaction in/near track: Safety car, grid procedure and grid girls ,damaged car removal with crane or truck,box staff animations,drivers getting in/out of the cars, and/or talking to their engineers and adjusting the car real time (wheel,rear wing,front wing and everything),random generated trackside objects,dynamic tire wall,and sand simulations,big lightning in raining,walking in pit ,or/and in track,watch the car preparation,the engine warming,more emotions from fans.
More realistic damage.
More interactions in the car,and realistic interactions,and options for almost everything button use.
Easy server creation from outside the game.
Harder car sound ,the full trottle make different sound.
Mods support.
Talking with my enginers during the race and options for another language enginer sound files modding in the game.
Quick replay during the race,the camera switch to the crash or any fail,and/or sending messages from this for broadcaster.Good broadcast surface.
I think in 2019 it cannot be so hard,but i think the creators think:This is not important.But this is important ,the little life "smells" features.
That would be good for in all simulator games!
Besides that dream level:rolleyes::
External Applications or internal options for driver and car skin full customizations.
Historic legendary cars and tracks (or older layout versions) with unique fans.
New official F1 game from another studio.
GTR and GTL cars and tracks all in one game remake.(with this all features and more)
Full sim F1 game with older year and DLC's from any years,naturally not free! (with this all features and more)
GP5 with previous GP series seasons,or only GP4 season,but all features with new graphics engine for example Unreal engine 4.

I am another racer who thinks ACC offers the best driving experience to date regarding physics and over all driving immersion.
I have had some of the best races ever online and with AI yes it's far from perfect [VR :( ] but for me it's a really great experience and the most complete sim racing experience I have had.

I like the fact that the game covers only one series and does it fairly well, I would be happy to pay for a stand alone ACC that features a different series or classic series.

Let's be honest people like to bitch a lot but we have never had it so good and really the cost for what you get is sometime a really good bargain.

We have to be realistic what we all dream for, the complete simulator with G forces for the home etc is not going to happen in our life time be thankful for what we got and that its is progressing steadily.

Things can only get better.

That depends on the cup and junior series, they can show the gap even more than GT3. You have to keep in mind gaps in simracing are far bigger than IRL. A Porsche Cup and a F Vee can make the gaps way bigger (relative to their speed ofc), even easy cars like F3 will easily end up with gaps bigger than GT3. These cars only give the psychological effect of being close.
Closest races in simracing are made by not so high power, a ton of grip, no super brakes, no crazy top speeds and some decent draft effect. GT3 fits this on most tracks. Tho if you get the Megane Throphy car in rF2 with locked rear wing on max it'll be the most fun you can have online ever (but you'll still see the gaps)
They all sound like quite high end cars to me, apart from F Vee :D I think something like TCA / TCB class would provide much closer racing. Not downforce dependant not a huge amount of power. Mini's in AMS for example or MX5 Cup or Abarth Cup in AC.

Aren't GT3 cars like 500hp or so?

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 40 38.5%
  • Saturday

Votes: 59 56.7%