Opinion: What Do You Think Is Missing From Sim Racing?

I personally would like to see an iracing like multiplayer incorporated into a game like AC. I know SRS exists (I race a lot of it) but it's just not the same. I'm at the point in my sim racing career where 95% of my time is spent preparing/racing in a competitive multiplayer environment.

I'm starting to dip my toes in iracing and have this idea that I'm going to sprinkle about $40 a month towards content for the game. I personally am not the biggest fan of iracing when it comes to very specific aspects (FFB, physics, ECT) but I cannot argue that the organized, competitive multiplayer environment it delivers is second to none.

What I want is a game like AC, RF2, AMS - something with open modding, a huge range of content, but that is focused primarily on competitive multiplayer.

Oh yeah, and this game has to cost less than $100 :p

Need someone to have a look back at past racing titles like Geoff Cramonds F1 sims , Grand Prix Legends, race 07 , from back in that time and try to emulate those titles. The curent sims are great but are somehow hollow, there is no life to them and a bit all over the shop. Would love a sim that had a carrier mode and a full field of cars in a PC specific title. I find racing titles that spred themselves over multipul platforms seem to end up comprimising themselves to the shortfalls of the other platforms they try to cover.
Wouldnt mind racing something other than GT cars for a change, bit of a GT overload at the moment. Relitivly easy cars to drive, just acelerate, brake, change gears, all auto throtle blips, very easy and quick to get resonable lap times with a bit of practice.
Would love to see some more 60's or 70's car racing with some manual throtle blips ,and rev matching type racing on line, and if not online then an off line racing series with some good AI and with real period race tracks to compete in a full championship.

For me since GP 4 there has not been a sim that has captured the full excitement and challenge of a season in a championship and still to this day I compaire new titles to that, and have not found anything better in reguards to it.

Lack of variety on racing game genre.

Almost every company nowdays makes game with GT cars with same tracks. If game with different series or type of racing is well made there will be buyers.

There is also tooooo many great tracks around world which reserves to be in game. I presume that license of less known tracks is a lot of cheaper than example Monza etc. Same goes with cars.

Also this, my game contains 100 cars more than your is silly. Just make 20-30 and make them properly.

Let's wait and see what future brings to us, but i won't hold my breath too long. :)

Rally. With overall natural/belieavable/intuitive physics, progressive/real time track degradation, official DLC + official/unofficial mod support (that means if the mod is very good, devs helping getting the license and making it into official championships; if the mod is unofficial and getting copyright strike and the quality is poor, devs can block/remove it); official championships with big online sessions, people having schedule of when it's their run, can spawn in the start area and watch others go meanwhile)

Proper Jokkis/folkrace sim, with proper Jokkis rules.

Lack of variety on racing game genre.

Almost every company nowdays makes game with GT cars with same tracks. If game with different series or type of racing is well made there will be buyers.

There is also tooooo many great tracks around world which reserves to be in game. I presume that license of less known tracks is a lot of cheaper than example Monza etc. Same goes with cars.

Also this, my game contains 100 cars more than your is silly. Just make 20-30 and make them properly.

Let's wait and see what future brings to us, but i won't hold my breath too long. :)

Seems like you just want more AMS...

For me, I think the issue is that there is too much available and because of that there is a bit in every game. Notable exceptions would be ACC and the F1 franchise.

But neither other game can capture a full grid like in real life which for me is a big thing. Pricing and modding are close second.

Last edited:
Seems like you just want more AMS...

For me, I think the issue is that there is too much available and because of that there is a bit in every game. Notable exceptions would be ACC and the F1 franchise.

But neither other game can capture a full grid like in real life which for me is a big thing. Pricing and modding are close second.

:) Yes, more AMS like game on content side. Wreckfest is also a good game, even it’s not simulation.

What have you always thought should be part of a sim-racing game but somehow has (almost) never made it to any game?
Proper AI, Believable, challenging, diverse, fallable AI. Properly integrated into the sim with regards to conditions, driver swaps, race rules. The most complete AI for a racing sim, was developed over 23 years ago in a title by Jeff Crammond called Grand Prix 2. Other than the sequals, no other sim has got close to the single player immersion that title offered.

1. Complete series (GT4, Supercars, Super GT, TCR, BTCC, STCC, DTM, GT1/GT2) implementation like ACC does with GT3.
2. Spotter with tons of sound material to be more lifelike.
3. Animated pitcrew and living pits with cars being prepared for race (opened hood, cars with wheels off).
Drivers getting in/out of the cars, and/or talking to their engineers.
Come on! In 2019 it cannot be so hard.
4. Better, simulated damage model.
5. Setup engineer setups the car relying on my feedback.
6. More sound material and not the same few sentences everytime. ("Oh... you look so calm, I mean... ") - sounds familiar from Spa I guess.
7. Randomized trackside objects to see less static tracks. For example, ambulance and spectators should always have a bit different position. Marschalls should walk around and not just stand like a pole.

Atmosphere. Devil's in the details.

Last edited:
I wish, someday we can have a simulator that not only simulates real physics, but simulates what Automobilism is out of track. Imagine if we have a Sim, Multiplayer only, that you have to pay once for a car, but you can also sell it to other after you no long need it for other players or teams for very low cost like I dunno, 1 or 2 dollars maximum. And if you crash your car, you need to pay for the repair depending on how hard was the crash and etc... All with very low costs like U$0,50 for an engine, or U$0,30 for a new body or suspension...

Imagine if brands like BMW, Merc, Audi can sell their cars, and compete between then trying to convince the player, why their car is best comparing to others, like in real world, but obvious with very low prices.

That would make players more careful to not crash their cars, would create a "market" that you could buy or sell new and used cars or parts, or even rent it. Dunno maybe i'm being crazy but I think that would be awesome!

Sorry for some grammar errors, English isn't my main language!

I talked about this with a friend years ago. I would love something like this. Like an online career mode. With progression from beginner to expert...

We also discussed having salaries, budgets, teams, etc... I think this would be great fun...especially with proper teams and statistics.

Kinda like fantasy football for sim racing lol

I also love Indycars and Historic Content...and if properly done I feel it could make a great sim.

Content variety.

All games out seem to focus on GT3, LMP and/or F1 and most requests for unreleased games seem to be for the same. There's so much more out there!

For me the most lacking is the lack of attention to detail and inteligence when it comes down to judging actual simulation, which means of course understanding reality in the first place. I wish there were much more people doing thinking, right or wrong, but interested and able to discuss it all in inteligent way.

Second thing that is missing IMO is content variety. Cars and tracks from all decades since the first purpose built race track.

Third thing IMO is about 2-3K regular players for all legit simulation titles, and hopefully with increased numbers the ratio of simpleminds/inteligents wouldn't turn very bad, because that has an effect on simulation quality.

Fourth thing is the lack of big software updates for rF2 during this year lol

Many good things mentioned already.
I'd wish for more (laserscanned) street courses, they are missing in all sims. Iracing has the tech version of Long Beach but they don't finish it because it's too much work and too demanding for most actual PCs.

Think about laserscanned Macau, Monaco, Singapur, Adelaide, Surfers Paradise etc.

All the track content is good, but Rally is missing a lot.
Photographic quality graphics of stages.
Pace notes available in PDF for Navigator to read, so two players.
Terratrip style output of distance for Navigator to use.
***Professional quality sim, this applies to all genres. Not full of bugs and Devs fail to fix fundamentals.
Support for all peripherals by logging onto website and the specific info is then downloaded.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.