Opinion: What Do You Think Is Missing From Sim Racing?

- Realistic damage (BeamNG)
Yes, Yes, Yes, agree 100%:inlove:...not over the top but enough visual / physics based damage so when side swiping a barrier wall you see the fender and or bonnet crumple up when in cockpit view or a hardcore crash with major deformation and of course ends your race ...also hearing it with great Audio is a must.
Personally I feel we are nearly there with general game play etc and I am happy with what's on offer at the moment for my style of Sim Racing:thumbsup::)....and a lot of great ideas posted already:D

• Deleted member 379375

A remake of Grandprix 4 with bugs removed ,multiplayer working and the physics and graphical improvements seen in modern day sims.
This sim had everything including rain , great cameras, convenient built in telemetry, damage , great AI.

I wish, someday we can have a simulator that not only simulates real physics, but simulates what Automobilism is out of track. Imagine if we have a Sim, Multiplayer only, that you have to pay once for a car, but you can also sell it to other after you no long need it for other players or teams for very low cost like I dunno, 1 or 2 dollars maximum. And if you crash your car, you need to pay for the repair depending on how hard was the crash and etc... All with very low costs like U$0,50 for an engine, or U$0,30 for a new body or suspension...

Imagine if brands like BMW, Merc, Audi can sell their cars, and compete between then trying to convince the player, why their car is best comparing to others, like in real world, but obvious with very low prices.

That would make players more careful to not crash their cars, would create a "market" that you could buy or sell new and used cars or parts, or even rent it. Dunno maybe i'm being crazy but I think that would be awesome!

Sorry for some grammar errors, English isn't my main language!

Forza 3 or 4 did this...auction house. You could 'buy' a car that had been tuned / painted by another human player.
It worked well, forza literally taught people that you could buy your way to better results on line just like real life....
You could even buy the leader board tunes and go from 5th to wins overnight..... from what i can remember it was fun.
And clearly those types of games have always had you 'paying' to fix up cars that get damage....
Maybe 'sims' need to steal more from Forza / GT rather than get so distanced from them because of some in the 'community' who shout 'ARCADE!!!' all the time....

Earn credits via racing.....use credits to fix up damage, pay for better engineers, race cars, parts etc.......done...how hard can that be?
Yes it sounds like an 'arcade' game...but it also sounds like real life...

you sim fans need to go to dev studios wearing your science class goggles, flu mask and builder's helmet; draw up 5 things you want your fave game (eg nice graphics, VR, online community, content, physics) to have and scream "5 demands, not 1 less" outside their office and keep protesting... ;)

Good question,

I thought about it last week. Have a quality career mod with a strong storyline. This exists in wrestling games but simply an injury during a career, getting fired because of his bad level or simply the choice of sports directors who does not respect the driver and more : )

Realistic co-op /online multiplayer rally sim where you can have your friend reading you notes and also writing them on recce. Track editor for creating new special stages / auto generated new stages.

We already have graphics, physics, cars, tracks, etc. the only thing I need is a good AI, with rules, pit stops, smart AI. I want to feel like a kid, like on GP4 days. I´m sure iRacing AI will be a game change on the industry, if they come out with an improved NR2003 ai.

Simple answer, a real RACING simulation is missing. We have great physic simulator that looks nice, but no sim can reproduce a real race with all that things that can happen during a race.
In my opinion, the major problem is, in all games your are the "god" that does everything. You have to drive the car, edit the setups, look for the strategie, manage your pitstops and so on. But in real live your are just the driver and part of a TEAM! Where ist your crewchief in an actual sim? Where ist your chief engineer? Where is your teammate? And we need much more dynamic in a race. In a race you should be part of a team, so it should be possible that your chrewchief give you the advice to let pass your teammate, or calls you in the pits for an undercut or because there is a possibility for the savety car, because on the other part of the track a car crashed. Or he tell you to blick the car behind you to give your teammate infront of you a better chance for a win. Talking about crashes, where are the marshals with the flags, where are the tow trucks? Safety car, virtual savety car, RED FLAGS, race interruption because of rain or a crash? Why is there no outlap to the starting grid? Did you ever see the hand of god dropping cars on the grid, neighter do i. Physics are getting better, tracks are laser scanned, force feedback is almost over-realistic with modern DD-wheels, but the race himself is boring and steril. We need more technical failure, damaged tyres because of carbon parts after a crash, traces of oil and cooling water after a crash and so on.
The atmosphere is missing, the rest is almost the same in every sim.

View attachment 325937
Reviving an old topic from a couple of years ago, we would like to know what the RD community think is missing from the current sim racing landscape.

The subject was brought back to my attention by RD staff member @Daniel Monteiro during The RD Podcast recording earlier this evening, and I thought it might be worth throwing this question back out to the community to see if opinions have changed since 2017.

Sim racing does indeed continue to improve and get bigger at a seemingly endless rate, but even with all the progress made since back in the early 2000's, I'm sure it is fair to assume plenty still remains to be done in order to tick all those boxes our sim racing faithful would like to see in the hobby we all so love.

With that in mind, it's feeling like the time is right to ask you all this (rather large and broad) question once again:

What have you always thought should be part of a sim-racing game but somehow has (almost) never made it to any game?

Over to you, folks.

Screenshot Credit: Tino66

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

The hardware side of things in sim racing is becoming huge and it's no longer acceptable to call people with motion platforms, VR or triple screen setups completely niche.

I completely agree about VR and triple screens and more recently ultra-wide screens gaining adoption pretty quickly and I think there are standards and support for those becoming more common.

Motion systems seem to be lagging at least an order of magnitude from people with VR. I know a LOT of people who swear by VR now, but most of them have no motion or maybe a transducer or two.

On the other hand in the smaller motion community there are a lot of people using triple/wide monitors because there are some still inherent issues with VR and some types of motion.

An NLRv3 in my experience doesn't require motion compensation in VR. However can you imagine what NLR's new Traction Plus would do to your VR experience without very good motion compensation? You would be sliding through the door and into the passenger seat coming around corners! Talk about a hurl waiting to happen!

The good news for sim developers is that exposing telemetry data for motion is relatively easy. So even though motion systems are still the smallest niche, they are easy to support.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 39 51.3%