Opinion: What Do You Think Is Missing From Sim Racing?

They all sound like quite high end cars to me, apart from F Vee :D I think something like TCA / TCB class would provide much closer racing. Not downforce dependant not a huge amount of power. Mini's in AMS for example or MX5 Cup or Abarth Cup in AC.

Aren't GT3 cars like 500hp or so?
Yeah but they are easy due to electronics and homologation process
Minis are an example of what I said, the cars get close but the gap equals their speed, they usually only look to be close, aliens will still win, turtles will still race among themselves, people between the 2 groups will be mixed, some closer to the aliens (with chances of winning) some closer to the turtles, but the real problem is getting people to race them, some sites like RD manage to do it but it's not the same for most online forums
Touring cars are the same but with more crashes lol

Yeah but they are easy due to electronics and homologation process
Minis are an example of what I said, the cars get close but the gap equals their speed, they usually only look to be close, aliens will still win, turtles will still race among themselves, people between the 2 groups will be mixed, some closer to the aliens (with chances of winning) some closer to the turtles, but the real problem is getting people to race them, some sites like RD manage to do it but it's not the same for most online forums
Touring cars are the same but with more crashes lol
At risk of driving the thread off a cliff here but I still think Joe Bloggs will have an easier time racing a 200hp Mini than a GT3 car. I take your point that there are harder 500hp cars to drive than GT3 but I still don't think GT3 "provide the closest racing experience" there are loads of series that can offer equally if not easier driving than those cars.

I’d just like the Toyota TS050 from the 18/19 WEC superseason in RF2

Happy with what I’ve got otherwise. If everything came out perfect then there would be no space left to evolve and grow. I think given the devs generally make this stuff as a passion project and don’t earn much from it we’re pretty blessed to have it as good as we do.

Obviously things can be improved but let’s see where we are in a year or so!

A reasonably-priced iRacing with a more strict safety rating system. You shouldn't be able to accumulate 150+ incident points in a single season of a single series without a ban of some sort.
AI implementation would be great also.
It would also be great if another developer could step up their game and compete against iRacing directly.

Last edited:
At risk of driving the thread off a cliff here but I still think Joe Bloggs will have an easier time racing a 200hp Mini than a GT3 car. I take your point that there are harder 500hp cars to drive than GT3 but I still don't think GT3 "provide the closest racing experience" there are loads of series that can offer equally if not easier driving than those cars.
Well you are now talking about haivng an easier time, this is true with the Mini. But it was not my point.

Easy; proper AI
Some say rF2 should be the best, but still; after the start there is no line you can take where you aren't hit. When they hit, they keep bumping into you so you can't come out of it.
Often (in several games) they;
- drive within a few seconds of each other
- pit all at the same time
- don't pit and run out of fuel
- don't see you making a move, hitting you or letting you straight by
- hit you seemingly on purpose

So; AI that works like a person would........ And yes, it may even be a Max Verstappen; being a hard one to come by and run you off the track, but not keep hitting on you when you are in the fence already.

More damage, and Mechanical and electronic damage and fails.
THAT and "good netcode". For me personally, the best door to door racing I had without any lag related issues was in Live for Speed. Every other SIM I tried had some kind of issues for me (even in LAN). That includes all GTR titles, GTL, rF1, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, AC Competizione and more. I want the same door to door feeling (lag wise) as in LFS.

1. The dream.. a full sim Rally with very very long stages with realistic heavy damage model and a lot of locations (over 4 tarmac locations with tarmac physics) .... 2. new DTM cars .. 3. classic F1 cars..

A reasonably-priced iRacing with a more strict safety rating system. You shouldn't be able to accumulate 150+ incident points in a single season of a single series without a ban of some sort.
They should rather find a way to only penalize the driver who is responsable for the contact. I don't want to get banned because some *** ran into me ;) But that will be tough...

Last edited:
One thing that always bugs me about the Codemasters F1 Series: why don't they let us drive the car in pit lane?!?
My biggest wish for simracing is an improvement on AI - smarter decisions on/off track (also pit strategy) and a realistic amount of mistakes.

Most of the modern sims do late model race cars very well but they're sadly lacking where old cars are concerned.
They somehow seem to suggest that old cars float like boats and don't turn in.

I always found it amusing that older sims and older mods made modern American race cars, like the Corvette C5 and C6, with ridiculously heavy steering and poor cornering ability. It's like they think all American cars are 60s muscles cars only good for going in a straight line. The heavy steering was always funny to me. No American car, ever, felt like the steering weight they put on them. It's wacky.

Luckily, that's only older content, modern sims do American cars justice, I feel.

They should rather find a way to only penalize the driver who is responsable for the contact. I don't want to get banned because some *** ran into me ;) But that will be tough...

That's fair, as my main concern is about cleaning up the bad driving. But even in a simple racing incident, just because people unintentionally wreck others due to over-driving, lack of awareness, or other miscalculations doesn't mean the blame should be shared, but It's probably difficult on the developers to code race stewards AI to be accurate so I understand the need for a no-fault system. But in the context of a series "championship", the accumulation of incident points doesn't actually mean anything, and it should me a lot, like a hell of a lot.

Last edited:
Personally, I think we miss the good old days of the TOCA series, such as Race Driver 1 - 2 and 3 ... it contained a lot of Content, F1 DTM, F3, Classics, GT, s.
And of course a Shitload of Tracks.
But also Modding is a Must ... Certainly the Upcoming Grid does not really appeal to me, Racing with a maximum of 16 cars ... Come on .... From 22 it looks more like it.
Therefore a NO GO for me for GRID.
Can't wait for GTR3 release

Not sure if serious....

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yearly

• Weekly at lan events

• Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events