Open Letter to Kunos Simulazioni and the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Open Letter Kunos Simulazioni.jpg

Dear Kunos Simulazioni,

There is no doubt that what you have managed to achieve over the lifetime of Assetto Corsa, from its early access period to it's current state (v1.1), has been incredibly impressive, especially considering the relative size of your development team (approximately 15 people, we believe). From the humble beginnings of a single track, and a couple of sports cars, Assetto Corsa has become one of the highest selling racing games on steam, and deservedly so, thanks to intelligent investment, ultra-high quality (and popular) content, unparalleled driving physics, and a vast expanse of modding capability. Assetto Corsa easily has the most potential to be something truly great out of all the current simulators on the market today.

However, despite all of these fantastic things, there is still one aspect of Assetto Corsa (that we here at RaceDepartment are especially passionate about) that is detracting from the rest of the game in a significant way: Multiplayer functionality, usability and netcode solidity. In its present state, we feel that the quality of the multiplayer experience is still vastly inadequate in comparison to not only the the rest of Assetto Corsa's competition, but inferior even to that of games seen in the early-mid 2000's. From a users perspective, the way Assetto Corsa handles latency differences and especially collisions, is not exactly what you would call a pretty sight, and this must be addressed if Assetto Corsa is to be taken seriously by online racing communities such as this one.

Having a well-oiled multiplayer machine, so to speak, is essential to the long term sustainability of a simulator to not only remain relevant to the consumer, but to have them coming back for more (iRacing, rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car Extreme are all excellent examples of this, and all of them, incidentally, are your direct competitors in the sim market). Unfortunately at the present moment, we don't feel that Assetto Corsa's multiplayer currently offers the stability and function required to keep the clients coming back for more. As a result, we've seen a distinct trend in our RaceDepartment club races where we have a vast influx of drivers soon after a significant update, and then a significant drop off in participation within a period of a week or so, as the drivers quickly realise that the other competing racing sims still offer more features and enjoyment during multiplayer races.

Properly functioning multiplayer races with fully supported features including sector splits, live timing, broadcast/spectator mode, stable netcode for high ping users, reverse grid features, multiple races, far more numerous number of grid slots (what GT series races with only 24 cars?), pitstop improvements and many many more features are all necessary for a complete and sustainable sim that will not only be profitable for you in the long run, but will also maximize the users enjoyment and will vastly increase the life span of the sim.

If you look at it from a 'man and machine versus the track' perspective, then few other racing sims out there can compete with what Assetto Corsa offers in terms of physics, sound and track immersion, providing what is probably the best hot-lapping and practice simulator available to the consumer ever created. However, looking at it as a 'multiplayer racing sim', then you quickly realise just how far Assetto Corsa seems to be lagging behind the competition.

We completely understand that such things take time to develop, and we are more than willing to be patient and wait for improvements for the multiplayer side of things to progress, however, Assetto Corsa has been in development now for more than enough time to warrant an acceptable standard of multiplayer functionality and stability. Given the huge level of success that Assetto Corsa has experienced, we believe that budgetary constraints might not represent such a big hurdle anymore for the studio, especially in terms of netcode investment.

Whilst it cannot be stressed enough just how amazing the quality of the content (cars and tracks) has been, we here at RaceDepartment feel very strongly that you, Kunos Simulazioni, must shift your attention from implementing new cars and tracks to improving the functionality of the game. If it is not addressed soon, then you'll run a real risk of seeing a significant and rapid decline in the population of the Assetto Corsa user-base.

As the largest SimRacing community in the world, we sincerely hope that the issues highlighted above will be focused on more heavily in future, as we believe that Assetto Corsa has the potential to be one of the top class racing simulators on the market.

In closing, we would like to leave you with one final thought, and that's that; whilst it's a surreal and genuinely spine-tingling experience to be able to drive highly accurate replications of legendary race tracks and cars, what is the point of all of this incredible content, if the limitations of the game's functionality and usability are preventing us from realising its full potential?

Hopefully in the not too distant future, Assetto Corsa will prove to be the amazing racing simulator that we, and everyone else, know it has the potential to be.

Kind Regards,
RaceDepartment.

Cari Kunos Simulazioni,
Non c'è dubbio che quello che siete riusciti a realizzare con Assetto Corsa, dalla sua fase early access alla sua versione corrente (1.1), sia stato incredibilmente notevole, specialmente considerando le dimensioni del team di sviluppo (circa 15 persone, crediamo).
Dai suoi umili inizi con un singolo tracciato e qualche auto sportiva, Assetto Corsa è diventato uno dei racing game più venduti su Steam, meritatamente, per via degli investimenti intelligenti, contenuti di qualità altissima (e popolari), fisica di guida impareggiabile ed un vasto supporto al modding.

Assetto Corsa ha indubbiamente il maggior potenziale per diventare qualcosa di davvero grandioso tra tutti i simulatori al momento sul mercato.

Ma, nonostante tutte queste fantastiche qualità, c'è ancora un aspetto di Assetto Corsa (a cui noi di RaceDepartment siamo particolarmente appassionati) che detrae dal resto del gioco in maniera significativa: la funzionalità, usabilità e stabilità del netcode in Multiplayer.
Crediamo che la qualità dell'esperienza multiplayer, nel suo stato attuale, sia ancora in gran parte inadeguata se confrontata non solo con i suoi rivali, ma anche con simulatori dei primi anni 2000.

Dal punto di vista dell'utente, il modo in cui Assetto Corsa gestisce le differenze di latenza e specialmente le collisioni non è esattamente ideale, e questo deve essere migliorato se il titolo vuole essere preso sul serio dalle comunità di racing online come la nostra.
Avere un sistema multiplayer ben oliato, per così dire, è essenziale alla sostenibilità a lungo termine di un simulatore - non solo per rimanere rilevante per il consumatore, ma anche per fare in modo che questo ritorni (iRacing, rFactor 2 e Game Stock Car Extreme sono tutti ottimi esempi, e che tra l'altro sono tutti vostri diretti competitori nel mercato dei simulatori).

Sfortunatamente al momento non ci sembra che il multiplayer di Assetto Corsa offra la stabilità e le funzionalità richieste per fare in modo che i clienti ritornino.

Come diretto risultato, abbiamo notato una marcata tendenza nelle corse del nostro RaceDepartment club in cui abbiamo un grande influsso di giocatori immediatamente dopo un aggiornamento importante, per poi vedere una significativa diminuzione nel giro di una settimana circa, man mano che i piloti si rendono conto che gli altri competitori nel mercato dei racing sim offrono più funzionalità per le corse in multiplayer.

Corse in multiplayer propriamente funzionanti con caratteristiche come split per i settori, cronometraggio in tempo reale, modalità spettatore\di trasmissione, netcode stabile per gli utenti con un ping alto, modalità a griglia invertita, corse multiple, un numero molto maggiore di posti sulla griglia (quale corsa GT ha solo 24 auto?), miglioramenti ai pitstop ed altre ancora sono necessarie per un simulatore completo e sostenibile che non solo sarà redditizio per voi, ma massimizzerà anche il divertimento degli utenti e aumenterà sostanzialmente l'arco di vita del vostro titolo.

Guardandolo dalla prospettiva di “uomo e macchina contro il tracciato”, pochi altri simulatori sul mercato possono competere con quello che offre Assetto Corsa in termini di fisica, sonoro ed immersione su pista, creando quella che è probabilmente il miglior simulatore di hot-lapping e pratica mai creato e venduto al consumatore.
Tuttavia, guardandolo come un “simulatore di corse in multiplayer”, ci si rende conto che Assetto Corsa è piuttosto indietro rispetto ai suoi rivali.

Noi capiamo completamente che cose del genere richiedono tempo per essere sviluppate, e siamo più che volenterosi di essere pazienti ed aspettare dei miglioramenti al multiplayer, ma Assetto Corsa è ormai in fase di sviluppo da abbastanza tempo per garantire uno standard accettabile di funzionalità e stabilità nelle modalità online.
Visto l'enorme successo che Assetto Corsa ha avuto, crediamo che i limiti di budget forse non siano più un grande ostacolo per lo studio, particolarmente in termini di investimento sul netcode.

Sebbene la qualità dei contenuti (sia auto che tracciati) sia davvero incredibile, noi di RaceDepartment crediamo fortemente che voi, Kunos Simulazioni, dobbiate spostare la vostra attenzione dall'implementare nuovi contenuti al migliorare la funzionalità del gioco. Se questi problemi non saranno risolti a breve, allora correrete il rischio di vedere un declino rapido e significativo del bacino d'utenza di Assetto Corsa.
Come la più grande community di SimRacing nel mondo, noi crediamo sinceramente che i problemi di cui abbiamo scritto sopra riceveranno più attenzione in futuro, perché crediamo che Assetto Corsa abbia il potenziale per diventare IL simulatore di corse sul mercato.

In chiusura, vorremmo lasciarvi con un ultimo pensiero: mentre essere in grado di guidare repliche incredibilmente accurate di auto e tracciati leggendari è un'esperienza surreale e davvero eccitante, a cosa servono tutti questi contenuti eccezionali se le limitazioni della funzionalità ed usabilità del gioco ci impediscono di realizzare tutto il loro potenziale?

Speriamo che in un futuro non troppo lontano Assetto Corsa dimostrerà di essere l'incredibile simulatore di corse che noi, così come chiunque altro, sappiamo che può diventare.

Cordiali saluti,
RaceDepartment.

Racedepartment did nothing more than what the most users want and are complaining (me included) for a long time ago. I think it has reached a critical point and Kunos didn't realised that the game is hanging on millions of shelves around the world waiting for the MP part of it to be worked...

Not only the multiplayer unfortunately but the single too. Right now you are fine only if just hotlapping. A lot of even basic features are missing which we expected to be included since are the fundaments of a Racing sim.
I stopped playing AC for months, now I am waiting for the new mod by the Meco but nothing else really holds me from putting it aside again. It is boring as it is now, unfortunately, and all this italian reviews (10\10 Eurogamer, really? Wow) do nothing but makes everything worst. No reviewer seems to see the obvious faults AC has, simply because they are not sim racers. They come from NFS, GT, FM, DC, of Course Assetto gets stellar compared to those. But if you compare it even to 10 years old GTR2, it lags miles behind

we here at RaceDepartment feel very strongly that you, Kunos Simulazioni, must shift your attention from implementing new cars and tracks to improving the functionality of the game
We are not telling Kunos how to run their business.
:thumbsdown:
@Mid-pack Jack Let's see, I was a premium member for two years, I have contributed over a dozen skins and converted a few tracks. What have YOU contributed other than calling me a troll a dozen times because you don't agree with one of my posts.

:thumbsdown:
@Mid-pack Jack Let's see, I was a premium member for two years, I have contributed over a dozen skins and converted a few tracks. What have YOU contributed other than calling me a troll a dozen times because you don't agree with one of my posts.

@Michael Hornbuckle Good for you Ricky, well done. But I never heard of you before this. And I regarded your trouble making as trolling just this once. ;) Get your facts right and stop making rubbish up. :)

If I were RD I'd be pretty mad at this insinuation.
Not really, "if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" applies here I think. Our staff have written a perfectly fine constructive letter to address their concerns about the current state of multiplayer racing and stick their necks out by posting it. It's inevitable that some people (as always the vocal minority) will disagree with it and defend it with arguments that have nothing to do with the subject of the letter.

Still haven't seen that anybody states that the multiplayer is 100% working and that there are no issues, so that only backs up the request to improve the multiplayer part of the sim that we rate very highly on all other parts.

For the profit part saga that Hornbuckle ea keep addressing. If we wanted to make a shitload of money over the backs of gamers the first thing we should do is drop our support on online simracing completely. The majority of our staff is working on daily basis to facilitate our racing members. This group is at maximum 1% of our daily visitors that come to the site. Yet the majority of our staff is still dedicating 99% of their time to that 1%. Not sure in which business model that is profitable? If that doesn't show passion and dedication than I am clueless.

On forums some people always have something to complain whatever you do and that's alright as long as they aren't breaking our simple to understand site rules. After all we are also a discussion forum.

If we were here for the big bucks we would first:
  • Drop our support on online racing entirely
  • Change the subject of our site from the sim racing genre to something much bigger.
  • Sell out to the first hardware sponsor or gaming company that throws the bucks on the table and continue to operate not longer as an independent site.
  • Go to youtube with a daily show with sponsored tattoos on our faces and parrot what the industry wants us to parrot.
This independent site has been proudly operated with passion since March 2006 on daily basis and if we had decided to take up a job and clean public toilets instead and invest all those hours into that job, now that would have been profitable :laugh:

Indeed Bram. Totally agree. Hopefully he will take the hint and remove himself from the kitchen. ;)

Now Bram, can I apply for a loan please? From RaceDepartment Incorporated. I understand your HQ is in the Bahamas now.

:)

Last edited:
It's funny Jack, I have been a member two years less than you, I have half the post count of you, yet I have far more likes, agrees, and most importantly, useful ratings than you, I have 50 downloads of my work that I have shared with the community, two years of premium, and yet after I criticize one post I am now being asked to leave and even being told by Bram that I'm not the type of racer that they want here.

Whatever, later.

Not only the multiplayer unfortunately but the single too. Right now you are fine only if just hotlapping. A lot of even basic features are missing which we expected to be included since are the fundaments of a Racing sim.
I stopped playing AC for months, now I am waiting for the new mod by the Meco but nothing else really holds me from putting it aside again. It is boring as it is now, unfortunately, and all this italian reviews (10\10 Eurogamer, really? Wow) do nothing but makes everything worst. No reviewer seems to see the obvious faults AC has, simply because they are not sim racers. They come from NFS, GT, FM, DC, of Course Assetto gets stellar compared to those. But if you compare it even to 10 years old GTR2, it lags miles behind

That's exactly how I feel. I've been a console racer for 15+ years and have always heard how wonderful and magical PC sims are and how they're so much better than consoles and have so many more features. Then I start hearing about this new, epic simulator called Assetto Corsa and after a year or so of drooling over it I finally made the plunge and bought a PC. So I get AC and quickly think to myself "This is it? Where's all the features? Where's the superior AI? Where's the engaging career mode?". The physics are great and the graphics are nice, but outside of hot lapping and admiring the cars/tracks, there's really not much to it. In order to get good AI and all these wonderful features I had to go to GSCE which uses an engine that's 10 years old. You can imagine how disappointing this is.

What Kunos has achieved with such a small group is impressive and I have every reason to believe they will only get better in the future. But IMO they still have a ways to go before AC is a captivating sim, yet I believe they are headed in a good direction. But it has been a bit of a letdown to see now that I've finally made the jump to PC all the new sims are either in "beta mode", unreleased, or charge you a bloody fortune for content/membership to drive cars that feel like they're on ice.

Personal opinion of course, your results may vary.

I just find hilarious that after 14 pages we are discussing about RD's business model instead of the letter itself, which has tons of good points.

And as Bram said, anyone that wants to make money from simracing wouldn't waste their time organizing daily online events, championships etc, and would focus instead on doing video reviews of steering wheels, seats and so (there are many companies willing to pay good money for good reviews), which is way more profitable.

I criticize one post I am now being asked to leave
You are making false claims and spreading misinformation in your post and that's something completely else than criticizing the content of the letter. And you are more than welcome to share your views on the forum btw, can't recall we asked you to leave.

even being told by Bram that I'm not the type of racer that they want here

Indeed I did and I fully stand by it. We don't need people in our clubs and leagues verbally abusing other users on Teamspeak because they can't control their emotions while playing a ................ game.

Especially our racing clubs are a casual environment and the interaction on teamspeak should be informative, entertaining and fun. If people want to be shout at they will go spend their free-time at their jobs.

We have some simple procedures to follow when reporting driving incidents and in all occasions you refused to use the tools we have available to deal with it. Yet you keep complaining about it. Again that's not a good fit and suits public racing a whole lot better.

I have ... two years of premium.
Small correction: one year. As we obviously did such a poor job we're happily going to refund you your kind donation. Drop me a pm with the date you have donated to this site and you'll have a full refund on your PayPal account two minutes later. :thumbsup:

Not only the multiplayer unfortunately but the single too. Right now you are fine only if just hotlapping.
I think the AI is on the verge of being good. I've had some decent races with them as long as I stick to a class and don't mix in weird cars. They perform OK in isolation, they can't overtake but I've had some side by side stuff with them.

They can't handle complex tracks like the Nords or powerful cars to well, but I think they're pretty close to being a decent offline challenge. The problem is once you get used to online racing and the quality of competitiveness you get on Racedepartment, the AI are always going to seem second best no matter how good they get.

I've got a friend that manages a pizza restaurant. I visited him the other night and I told him that the last time I ordered a pizza it took longer for it to be made and delivered to me than I liked. I told him that it seemed that his business was successful, and I asked him if he could hire some more staff and he told me there was no money in the budged for that. I then told him that he should simply take the money he was going to use for his next months food and supplies order and use that to hire somebody. He looked at me like I was crazy. I bet Stefano gets that same look whenever he sees quotes such as the one above telling him how to run his business.

And what is up with there now being 13 pages of replies, yet none of them are from anybody that works for Kunos. Hmmmmm.
Dude, I work for a large food and super market chain and the ONE THING that absolutely matters to survive is.... LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMER'S NEEDS!!!! This community IS the customer and we NEED proper AI and MP to satisfy the one thing we desire as sim racing enthusiasts: RACING LIKE IN REAL LIFE. I am aware of the low prices Kunos offered us and totally appreciate that, but this is not a full game, this is half a game with damn good looking graphics and impressive dynamics.

I think the AI is on the verge of being good. I've had some decent races with them as long as I stick to a class and don't mix in weird cars. They perform OK in isolation, they can't overtake but I've had some side by side stuff with them.

They can't handle complex tracks like the Nords or powerful cars to well, but I think they're pretty close to being a decent offline challenge. The problem is once you get used to online racing and the quality of competitiveness you get on Racedepartment, the AI are always going to seem second best no matter how good they get.
I tested this too, not mixing classes is FOR NOW a reasonable solution and had a really good time on the V24 Nordschleife with GT racers (GT2 and GT3). I liked it a lot, but then again I like doing track days too and even the huge difference between a really good super car or hyper car and a sports car seems to be asked too much from the current AI to manage an overtaking manoevre. Really pathetic and disappointing. But yes, same class races are pretty decent now, I agree with that.

Where's the engaging career mode?
I think a custom championship creator inside the game could have worked better than career. Basically the career they created is something we can also do, since they allowed modding it. But from what they created, it seems they use well the cars available in the game, maybe giving car and track combos you'd never try before. They also simulated a traditional championship inside the career, with linked races in terms of points and each one has practice-quali-race.
But you have to unlock.. so maybe the progression to unlock where you don't win virtual money for car upgrades and unlock new cars doesn't have much use. Rather have it all unlocked and people could pick what series they like. Here the custom championship creator inside the game could give more re-playability to single player experience.

About public online multiplayer, an easy way for anyone to create a server/lobby for his friends to race seem to be a requested feature from steam community. It could also be helpful for more advanced sim racers which don't have the patience to join the current available servers nor commit to any league.
More re-playability in public multiplayer: track rotation, changeable weather, ambient temp, track surface (already possible), hour of the day. Because is boring to all the time find the same car/track combo in 26ºc at midday and optimum grip. That just puts people away after one or two races, since is too repetitive, but variety is better.

About more organized races/private online/leagues: idk much, other people who play rf2 and similar games have more experience. But maybe an easy place to access all leagues and sign up for them and see the details could gather more people to them.

I think a custom championship creator inside the game could have worked better than career. Basically the career they created is something we can also do, since they allowed modding it. But from what they created, it seems they use well the cars available in the game, maybe giving car and track combos you'd never try before. They also simulated a traditional championship inside the career, with linked races in terms of points and each one has practice-quali-race.
But you have to unlock.. so maybe the progression to unlock where you don't win virtual money for car upgrades and unlock new cars doesn't have much use. Rather have it all unlocked and people could pick what series they like. Here the custom championship creator inside the game could give more re-playability to single player experience.

True, but I still don't find it very engaging. It seems to be just random cars/tracks strung together with a weird points system. It really doesn't resemble any of the racing championships I've seen in person or on tv. Until recently the AI was so bad that I'd usually be in the top 3 before the first corner. And the on-track experience is still a bit dull, very basic starting procedure, strange car groupings, no fanfare at the conclusion of the race, no detailed results where you can study your performance, the tracks feel isolated and empty, when I finish a race I feel more like I've completed a chore than participated in a white-knuckle, pants-pooping motorsports event. I'm sure it will improve and it's better than it was a month or two ago, but right now I still generally choose hot-lapping over anything career related.

My opinion only though, we all want/expect different things from our sims.

It's funny Jack, I have been a member two years less than you, I have half the post count of you, yet I have far more likes, agrees, and most importantly, useful ratings than you,
Whatever, later.

How old are you RickyBobby?
What do you want? A medal? :rolleyes: Have another dislike from me. There you go you can count them up as well.
You tell Bram to stick his money and hope chokes on it and you feel that the amount of likes you have makes you special. What a very sad person you are. I feel for you now. You are disintegrating in front of the community.

Can I ask you one favour though Mr Hornbuckle? Don't slam the door on your way out. ;)

Last edited:
To be honest i enjoy the MP, in 1.0 and before i used to have so many issues with latency and CPU drag it was really at times un-playable, but the progress made since has been very impressive. No longer am i getting warnings about my CPU being >95% capacity (would be the only game to stress my i5 to it's limits.. oh wait it was only using 1 core) and im finding larger grids rather smooth, the only interruption to the race i had last night was someone having a connection derp and causing an accident, bar that it was bumper to bumper with no problem.
All in all the rate of improvement on AC has been satisfactory to me so far and the community letter to Kunoz i can pretty much 100% agree with. It's communities that make the difference by getting their mass feedback to developers, it's how we done things when DayZ was still just a mod for Arma 2 and it worked... and then Standalone came about and the Devs shut their ears and look what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 87 90.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 27 28.1%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 31 32.3%