Open Letter to Kunos Simulazioni and the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Open Letter Kunos Simulazioni.jpg

Dear Kunos Simulazioni,

There is no doubt that what you have managed to achieve over the lifetime of Assetto Corsa, from its early access period to it's current state (v1.1), has been incredibly impressive, especially considering the relative size of your development team (approximately 15 people, we believe). From the humble beginnings of a single track, and a couple of sports cars, Assetto Corsa has become one of the highest selling racing games on steam, and deservedly so, thanks to intelligent investment, ultra-high quality (and popular) content, unparalleled driving physics, and a vast expanse of modding capability. Assetto Corsa easily has the most potential to be something truly great out of all the current simulators on the market today.

However, despite all of these fantastic things, there is still one aspect of Assetto Corsa (that we here at RaceDepartment are especially passionate about) that is detracting from the rest of the game in a significant way: Multiplayer functionality, usability and netcode solidity. In its present state, we feel that the quality of the multiplayer experience is still vastly inadequate in comparison to not only the the rest of Assetto Corsa's competition, but inferior even to that of games seen in the early-mid 2000's. From a users perspective, the way Assetto Corsa handles latency differences and especially collisions, is not exactly what you would call a pretty sight, and this must be addressed if Assetto Corsa is to be taken seriously by online racing communities such as this one.

Having a well-oiled multiplayer machine, so to speak, is essential to the long term sustainability of a simulator to not only remain relevant to the consumer, but to have them coming back for more (iRacing, rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car Extreme are all excellent examples of this, and all of them, incidentally, are your direct competitors in the sim market). Unfortunately at the present moment, we don't feel that Assetto Corsa's multiplayer currently offers the stability and function required to keep the clients coming back for more. As a result, we've seen a distinct trend in our RaceDepartment club races where we have a vast influx of drivers soon after a significant update, and then a significant drop off in participation within a period of a week or so, as the drivers quickly realise that the other competing racing sims still offer more features and enjoyment during multiplayer races.

Properly functioning multiplayer races with fully supported features including sector splits, live timing, broadcast/spectator mode, stable netcode for high ping users, reverse grid features, multiple races, far more numerous number of grid slots (what GT series races with only 24 cars?), pitstop improvements and many many more features are all necessary for a complete and sustainable sim that will not only be profitable for you in the long run, but will also maximize the users enjoyment and will vastly increase the life span of the sim.

If you look at it from a 'man and machine versus the track' perspective, then few other racing sims out there can compete with what Assetto Corsa offers in terms of physics, sound and track immersion, providing what is probably the best hot-lapping and practice simulator available to the consumer ever created. However, looking at it as a 'multiplayer racing sim', then you quickly realise just how far Assetto Corsa seems to be lagging behind the competition.

We completely understand that such things take time to develop, and we are more than willing to be patient and wait for improvements for the multiplayer side of things to progress, however, Assetto Corsa has been in development now for more than enough time to warrant an acceptable standard of multiplayer functionality and stability. Given the huge level of success that Assetto Corsa has experienced, we believe that budgetary constraints might not represent such a big hurdle anymore for the studio, especially in terms of netcode investment.

Whilst it cannot be stressed enough just how amazing the quality of the content (cars and tracks) has been, we here at RaceDepartment feel very strongly that you, Kunos Simulazioni, must shift your attention from implementing new cars and tracks to improving the functionality of the game. If it is not addressed soon, then you'll run a real risk of seeing a significant and rapid decline in the population of the Assetto Corsa user-base.

As the largest SimRacing community in the world, we sincerely hope that the issues highlighted above will be focused on more heavily in future, as we believe that Assetto Corsa has the potential to be one of the top class racing simulators on the market.

In closing, we would like to leave you with one final thought, and that's that; whilst it's a surreal and genuinely spine-tingling experience to be able to drive highly accurate replications of legendary race tracks and cars, what is the point of all of this incredible content, if the limitations of the game's functionality and usability are preventing us from realising its full potential?

Hopefully in the not too distant future, Assetto Corsa will prove to be the amazing racing simulator that we, and everyone else, know it has the potential to be.

Kind Regards,
RaceDepartment.

Cari Kunos Simulazioni,
Non c'è dubbio che quello che siete riusciti a realizzare con Assetto Corsa, dalla sua fase early access alla sua versione corrente (1.1), sia stato incredibilmente notevole, specialmente considerando le dimensioni del team di sviluppo (circa 15 persone, crediamo).
Dai suoi umili inizi con un singolo tracciato e qualche auto sportiva, Assetto Corsa è diventato uno dei racing game più venduti su Steam, meritatamente, per via degli investimenti intelligenti, contenuti di qualità altissima (e popolari), fisica di guida impareggiabile ed un vasto supporto al modding.

Assetto Corsa ha indubbiamente il maggior potenziale per diventare qualcosa di davvero grandioso tra tutti i simulatori al momento sul mercato.

Ma, nonostante tutte queste fantastiche qualità, c'è ancora un aspetto di Assetto Corsa (a cui noi di RaceDepartment siamo particolarmente appassionati) che detrae dal resto del gioco in maniera significativa: la funzionalità, usabilità e stabilità del netcode in Multiplayer.
Crediamo che la qualità dell'esperienza multiplayer, nel suo stato attuale, sia ancora in gran parte inadeguata se confrontata non solo con i suoi rivali, ma anche con simulatori dei primi anni 2000.

Dal punto di vista dell'utente, il modo in cui Assetto Corsa gestisce le differenze di latenza e specialmente le collisioni non è esattamente ideale, e questo deve essere migliorato se il titolo vuole essere preso sul serio dalle comunità di racing online come la nostra.
Avere un sistema multiplayer ben oliato, per così dire, è essenziale alla sostenibilità a lungo termine di un simulatore - non solo per rimanere rilevante per il consumatore, ma anche per fare in modo che questo ritorni (iRacing, rFactor 2 e Game Stock Car Extreme sono tutti ottimi esempi, e che tra l'altro sono tutti vostri diretti competitori nel mercato dei simulatori).

Sfortunatamente al momento non ci sembra che il multiplayer di Assetto Corsa offra la stabilità e le funzionalità richieste per fare in modo che i clienti ritornino.

Come diretto risultato, abbiamo notato una marcata tendenza nelle corse del nostro RaceDepartment club in cui abbiamo un grande influsso di giocatori immediatamente dopo un aggiornamento importante, per poi vedere una significativa diminuzione nel giro di una settimana circa, man mano che i piloti si rendono conto che gli altri competitori nel mercato dei racing sim offrono più funzionalità per le corse in multiplayer.

Corse in multiplayer propriamente funzionanti con caratteristiche come split per i settori, cronometraggio in tempo reale, modalità spettatore\di trasmissione, netcode stabile per gli utenti con un ping alto, modalità a griglia invertita, corse multiple, un numero molto maggiore di posti sulla griglia (quale corsa GT ha solo 24 auto?), miglioramenti ai pitstop ed altre ancora sono necessarie per un simulatore completo e sostenibile che non solo sarà redditizio per voi, ma massimizzerà anche il divertimento degli utenti e aumenterà sostanzialmente l'arco di vita del vostro titolo.

Guardandolo dalla prospettiva di “uomo e macchina contro il tracciato”, pochi altri simulatori sul mercato possono competere con quello che offre Assetto Corsa in termini di fisica, sonoro ed immersione su pista, creando quella che è probabilmente il miglior simulatore di hot-lapping e pratica mai creato e venduto al consumatore.
Tuttavia, guardandolo come un “simulatore di corse in multiplayer”, ci si rende conto che Assetto Corsa è piuttosto indietro rispetto ai suoi rivali.

Noi capiamo completamente che cose del genere richiedono tempo per essere sviluppate, e siamo più che volenterosi di essere pazienti ed aspettare dei miglioramenti al multiplayer, ma Assetto Corsa è ormai in fase di sviluppo da abbastanza tempo per garantire uno standard accettabile di funzionalità e stabilità nelle modalità online.
Visto l'enorme successo che Assetto Corsa ha avuto, crediamo che i limiti di budget forse non siano più un grande ostacolo per lo studio, particolarmente in termini di investimento sul netcode.

Sebbene la qualità dei contenuti (sia auto che tracciati) sia davvero incredibile, noi di RaceDepartment crediamo fortemente che voi, Kunos Simulazioni, dobbiate spostare la vostra attenzione dall'implementare nuovi contenuti al migliorare la funzionalità del gioco. Se questi problemi non saranno risolti a breve, allora correrete il rischio di vedere un declino rapido e significativo del bacino d'utenza di Assetto Corsa.
Come la più grande community di SimRacing nel mondo, noi crediamo sinceramente che i problemi di cui abbiamo scritto sopra riceveranno più attenzione in futuro, perché crediamo che Assetto Corsa abbia il potenziale per diventare IL simulatore di corse sul mercato.

In chiusura, vorremmo lasciarvi con un ultimo pensiero: mentre essere in grado di guidare repliche incredibilmente accurate di auto e tracciati leggendari è un'esperienza surreale e davvero eccitante, a cosa servono tutti questi contenuti eccezionali se le limitazioni della funzionalità ed usabilità del gioco ci impediscono di realizzare tutto il loro potenziale?

Speriamo che in un futuro non troppo lontano Assetto Corsa dimostrerà di essere l'incredibile simulatore di corse che noi, così come chiunque altro, sappiamo che può diventare.

Cordiali saluti,
RaceDepartment.

Well, let's join that nice debate ...

First let me thank RD for it's public letter: hopefully it will reach the brains and the hearts at KUNOS :rolleyes:

As a member (and senior admin) of the largest german AC only focused community (it has more than 1,600 members, growing continuous) I see that we have to act like a german help desk for AC to get it running at all for a lot of our members, and with each update we have to struggle with new glitches - again and again. But that's only a minor aspect regarding the quality control at KUNOS.

I can't speak on behalf of the whole community or as a representative of the forum, but the most complains I see are that AC is called a final release but is still far away from a "finished" status either in SP or MP. The reasons are obvious and mentioned a lot in most of the public forums I have checked so far.

The idea of organizing a german AC league came up as soon as we had the first access to MP in the early access phase last year and we had in mind to not only do a pro league but also some kind of regular events for casual racers. Well, we started with some very promising attempts in late spring going on with regular test events until august last year. Then we had to stop because nothing in MP went a direction that we saw any chance to get something running on a stable base until the final release would be released.

Then the final release came to our desktops - and surprise - nothing was really done with the MP at all. So until today the only thing we could do for our members is to provide some casual racing events like in the good old LAN party days and being far away from professional stuff like organizing a racing league. Tools like helicocorsa, ptracker/stracker, etc do a good job but AC lacks in so much more to be a well usable MP. One can start with that awful interface called acServerLauncher (hell, who knows what kind of trainee has put this GUI together?!) and doesn't ends with the lack of admin tools to run a proper MP server.

This is frustrating as we see the demand for some really good MP simracing stuff based on modern graphics and presentation as well as spot on physics. We had lots of former console players changing to PC platform and AC because GT, Driveclub or Forza don't meet their needs any longer. But not a few members now just sit and wait for the final release of pCars and if this meets the demands just 10 % better than AC I am sure there will be a major shift in the active communities.

Advanced sim-games like AC can't succeed through the casual gamers that make the most part of gaming business today because the learning curve is too steep and if you look at the career mode in AC - something that I am sure was built with the casual gamers in mind but never fulfilled the promises - than you know what I mean. I compare AC (and other racing sim titles) to something like FSX, X-Plane oder DCS: they all exist in a niche market with and because of their very addicted communities - and because they all have a solid built base on which customers could rely and add-on producers could built their "mods" on.

The most important thing AC lacks in my opinion is that solid base - in SP as well as in MP. And with every major change to its core even after being at version 1.x, that every bigger update seems to bring with it, this base becomes less solid because customers have to struggle with a game that's no longer working, having to install it fresh from the scratch, and modders have to adjust or even change their work again and again. That causes a loss of confidence more and more ...

In the end I hope that this open letter (and maybe some more with the same intention from our german community and others as well) will push KUNOS into changing their minds and to let them adjust their (publicly not very well know) road map a little to meet some of the most needed (not wanted!) things.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, the casual sim racer in AC doesn't seem to have an easy life creating a quick online server for his buddy or buddies to race together for a while, I read this in steam discussions. Some other race games give an easy access to play online with everybody or just your friends. This also puts away people.
it took me 1 hour to rent a server (e5.50xmonth) and learn how to set it up, so I could have the hillclimbs/tracks and cars I wanted to play with my friends... its easy you just need to do it. as simple as that sounds.

You do realize that Kunos is a 'for profit' company, right? The goal when they spend money signing a license and building a car (or track) is to eventually make a profit off of that investment. As long as the company makes a profit Stefano can keep coding improvements to the core game.
While I do appreciate you as a talented skinner and keeping your heart at your tongue (sorry for bad English), I think it's an absolutely normal request to have :
1. Decent online racing mode (which has been around for a decade already in other games)
2. AI where the I stands for Intelligent and not Ignorant or Inadequate. People like me who love to have mixed class races are being disappointed -ON THIS TOPIC ONLY- time after time, update after update. If it's true that every person does a different area, I really don't understand the AI and MP developper(s)...it is really due time to make some proper work of this as this is what a huge part of this community is screaming for.
We already got:
1/ Decent quality content with loads of good mods and class mixes of sports and race cars by Kunos and community,
2/Top quality tracks of all around the world, by Kunos and community,
3/Impressive dynamics and eye candy graphics, lively dynamics and mind blowing car handling simulation...
When I drive against AI, I get really frustrated they just won't overtake a slower opponent, this must be one of the easiest jobs for AI development as it already exists since GT1 or even before!!!!!!!!
I suggest you do a track day between different car classes and try enjoying it, it won't be easy. Very very very frustrating and you know what frustrates me the most????!!!!! They could have TESTED that BEFORE the update, BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE. Sometimes I really like to think they don't give a nocturnal rodant's behind about this topic...or at least that guy who's responsible for this subject. He may take a good look at the other developpers who made leaps with their subject, why can't this guy do his job like it should be? THERE HAS ABSOLUTELY BEEN NO IMPROVEMENT WHATSOEVER ON THIS TOPIC. Stop defending Kunos for their shortcomings, they have to step up now they get the wind from behind by the large part of the community. Big trees catch a lot of wind, deal with it.

it took me 1 hour to rent a server (e5.50xmonth) and learn how to set it up, so I could have the hillclimbs/tracks and cars I wanted to play with my friends... its easy you just need to do it. as simple as that sounds.
In SOCOM, the 3rd person shooter game, it took me about 2 minutes to start up a server, an hour is REALLY LONG in terms of setting up a game.

kunos is doing a great job for a small company:
they just finished a big overhaul on AI with 1.1..
they just finished a big content addition...
I think its now time for MP to get some deserved attention to its features that's all. And this is what this letter is ALL ABOUT fellas!
**cough cough** Marco, Stefano **cough cough**:rolleyes:

In SOCOM, the 3rd person shooter game, it took me about 2 minutes to start up a server, an hour is REALLY LONG in terms of setting up a game.
thats an hour including finding a webservice that will host it, payment.. waiting for confirmation.. waiting for them to set it up.. then learning how to configure, configuring it as I wanted it (this is all the first time... ) after that it was all but 5 minutes for any type of change I wanted :)

Here it is, the stupidiest ever move made by a company, despite the warnings they get multiplayer to a second plan when you try to do a so called "your racing simulator"... Speachless... at least i'm sure they'll work on it for next months... it's a very good product but relegate MP to a second plan sounds sooo stupid to me...

Maybe making these leagues/organized racing more public and ease the access to casual public would turn up the appeal for online multiplayer (organized) racing. And even one or two divisions in that league.

Nobody wants the casual public turning up in club or league racing because then it would no longer be organised. Make your mind up. The casual public racer does not want to contribute and invariably does not want to race around a circuit in the right direction. They are more interested in trying to take people out or crying because they have been lapped.

Besides, it is public here. Nothing is stopping you or your friends joining here and taking part in proper organised races except the fact that you don't want to contribute 0.054 of a Euro per day to help the running of this site and its organised racing.
Actually, can I ask why you don't want to contribute and do some good clean racing here?
:)

I'd like to remind everyone, for those casual gamers who do wish to race online without joining a club or league, RaceDepartment hosts a free to join, public server around the clock. You can always get friends to join you there and it is will be moderated by our staff and a select few of our premium members, so you can be sure to have clean racing. Server name is RACEDEPARTMENT.COM Public

This has to be one of the most depressing threads I've ever seen in all my years on forums. :unsure:

Kunos: Look! Dat track! Dat cars! For you!! :cool:

Community: HOORAY!!! Dat Nords! Kunos FTW!!! :D :whistling:

RD: Thanks Kunos! Great work! Hope MP gets some love too! :thumbsup:

Half of Community: AAARRRGGHHH!! RD charge very small fee for MP servers!! RD EVIL!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!! :mad:

Other half of Community: :O_o: WTF? :O_o:

Kimmo Kokkonen: I MADE DAT NORDS!! Germans stole it from me!! :cautious:

I have been wrecked in turn 1 and taken out by lappers just as much in club races here as I have in public lobbies.

Well you should not try and dive bomb into the first corner then Mr Hornbuckle. Racecraft is to be learnt, experienced and then practiced. And you should get out of the way of people lapping you cleanly and fairly. :thumbsup:
ps, you didn't answer why you don't want to contribute.

I have been wrecked in turn 1 and taken out by lappers just as much in club races here as I have in public lobbies.
Going through our staff archive:
  • Incident reports submitted by Hornbuckle vs other drivers: zero
  • Hornbuckle freaking out on teamspeak cursing and swearing towards other drivers: too many.
You should stay in public servers Michael they fit you a lot better. You obviously don't wish to deal with incidents to improve the overall driving level, you just want to curse and shout and complain about it.

Reactions: Si
First corner incidents do happen from time to time. Even the best drivers in the world experience it sometimes (2011 Italian Grand Prix, Liuzzi on the grass into T1, took out atleast 3 people in a huge incident).

Back when you raced with us a few times Michael, AC's MP was still relatively new, and we had many racers who were new to sim racing entirely and new to Assetto Corsa. Since then, the driving standard has improved remarkably, as it would with any community when given more time to improve.

I find this thread very amusing.
It would seem that most peeps are happy with the progress of AC, and let me remind you all, Kunos had stated they will support the game for the next 5 years, this means that they will be advancing the Sim in stages as they come up with better MP code or whatever the update might be, the fact that they have totally re-written the netcode once already should make a statement that Kunos is working hard to keep all it's customers happy MP as well as SP. If I was Kunos I'd ignore the open letter from RD, infact I think it's an insult to Kunos. If RD think for one minute that Kunos doesn't know of the issues within the Sim, then the brains trust here are way behind. Kunos are well aware of the problems associated with the title, so why not back off and let them get it done, putting an open letter out there is not going to make a scrap of difference to the time it takes to make the sim acceptable to everyone, and for those that believe Kunos should fix the MP immediately because it's not the same as title X, and not up to their desired standards, tough ****, like me & everyone else, you'll have to wait.
Putting the small team at Kunos under pressure is not the answer, I have many complaints about RD but I don't put out some open letter to garner support to change the way RD is now run and administered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Yearly

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 4 1.5%