Open Letter to Kunos Simulazioni and the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Open Letter Kunos Simulazioni.jpg

Dear Kunos Simulazioni,

There is no doubt that what you have managed to achieve over the lifetime of Assetto Corsa, from its early access period to it's current state (v1.1), has been incredibly impressive, especially considering the relative size of your development team (approximately 15 people, we believe). From the humble beginnings of a single track, and a couple of sports cars, Assetto Corsa has become one of the highest selling racing games on steam, and deservedly so, thanks to intelligent investment, ultra-high quality (and popular) content, unparalleled driving physics, and a vast expanse of modding capability. Assetto Corsa easily has the most potential to be something truly great out of all the current simulators on the market today.

However, despite all of these fantastic things, there is still one aspect of Assetto Corsa (that we here at RaceDepartment are especially passionate about) that is detracting from the rest of the game in a significant way: Multiplayer functionality, usability and netcode solidity. In its present state, we feel that the quality of the multiplayer experience is still vastly inadequate in comparison to not only the the rest of Assetto Corsa's competition, but inferior even to that of games seen in the early-mid 2000's. From a users perspective, the way Assetto Corsa handles latency differences and especially collisions, is not exactly what you would call a pretty sight, and this must be addressed if Assetto Corsa is to be taken seriously by online racing communities such as this one.

Having a well-oiled multiplayer machine, so to speak, is essential to the long term sustainability of a simulator to not only remain relevant to the consumer, but to have them coming back for more (iRacing, rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car Extreme are all excellent examples of this, and all of them, incidentally, are your direct competitors in the sim market). Unfortunately at the present moment, we don't feel that Assetto Corsa's multiplayer currently offers the stability and function required to keep the clients coming back for more. As a result, we've seen a distinct trend in our RaceDepartment club races where we have a vast influx of drivers soon after a significant update, and then a significant drop off in participation within a period of a week or so, as the drivers quickly realise that the other competing racing sims still offer more features and enjoyment during multiplayer races.

Properly functioning multiplayer races with fully supported features including sector splits, live timing, broadcast/spectator mode, stable netcode for high ping users, reverse grid features, multiple races, far more numerous number of grid slots (what GT series races with only 24 cars?), pitstop improvements and many many more features are all necessary for a complete and sustainable sim that will not only be profitable for you in the long run, but will also maximize the users enjoyment and will vastly increase the life span of the sim.

If you look at it from a 'man and machine versus the track' perspective, then few other racing sims out there can compete with what Assetto Corsa offers in terms of physics, sound and track immersion, providing what is probably the best hot-lapping and practice simulator available to the consumer ever created. However, looking at it as a 'multiplayer racing sim', then you quickly realise just how far Assetto Corsa seems to be lagging behind the competition.

We completely understand that such things take time to develop, and we are more than willing to be patient and wait for improvements for the multiplayer side of things to progress, however, Assetto Corsa has been in development now for more than enough time to warrant an acceptable standard of multiplayer functionality and stability. Given the huge level of success that Assetto Corsa has experienced, we believe that budgetary constraints might not represent such a big hurdle anymore for the studio, especially in terms of netcode investment.

Whilst it cannot be stressed enough just how amazing the quality of the content (cars and tracks) has been, we here at RaceDepartment feel very strongly that you, Kunos Simulazioni, must shift your attention from implementing new cars and tracks to improving the functionality of the game. If it is not addressed soon, then you'll run a real risk of seeing a significant and rapid decline in the population of the Assetto Corsa user-base.

As the largest SimRacing community in the world, we sincerely hope that the issues highlighted above will be focused on more heavily in future, as we believe that Assetto Corsa has the potential to be one of the top class racing simulators on the market.

In closing, we would like to leave you with one final thought, and that's that; whilst it's a surreal and genuinely spine-tingling experience to be able to drive highly accurate replications of legendary race tracks and cars, what is the point of all of this incredible content, if the limitations of the game's functionality and usability are preventing us from realising its full potential?

Hopefully in the not too distant future, Assetto Corsa will prove to be the amazing racing simulator that we, and everyone else, know it has the potential to be.

Kind Regards,
RaceDepartment.

Cari Kunos Simulazioni,
Non c'è dubbio che quello che siete riusciti a realizzare con Assetto Corsa, dalla sua fase early access alla sua versione corrente (1.1), sia stato incredibilmente notevole, specialmente considerando le dimensioni del team di sviluppo (circa 15 persone, crediamo).
Dai suoi umili inizi con un singolo tracciato e qualche auto sportiva, Assetto Corsa è diventato uno dei racing game più venduti su Steam, meritatamente, per via degli investimenti intelligenti, contenuti di qualità altissima (e popolari), fisica di guida impareggiabile ed un vasto supporto al modding.

Assetto Corsa ha indubbiamente il maggior potenziale per diventare qualcosa di davvero grandioso tra tutti i simulatori al momento sul mercato.

Ma, nonostante tutte queste fantastiche qualità, c'è ancora un aspetto di Assetto Corsa (a cui noi di RaceDepartment siamo particolarmente appassionati) che detrae dal resto del gioco in maniera significativa: la funzionalità, usabilità e stabilità del netcode in Multiplayer.
Crediamo che la qualità dell'esperienza multiplayer, nel suo stato attuale, sia ancora in gran parte inadeguata se confrontata non solo con i suoi rivali, ma anche con simulatori dei primi anni 2000.

Dal punto di vista dell'utente, il modo in cui Assetto Corsa gestisce le differenze di latenza e specialmente le collisioni non è esattamente ideale, e questo deve essere migliorato se il titolo vuole essere preso sul serio dalle comunità di racing online come la nostra.
Avere un sistema multiplayer ben oliato, per così dire, è essenziale alla sostenibilità a lungo termine di un simulatore - non solo per rimanere rilevante per il consumatore, ma anche per fare in modo che questo ritorni (iRacing, rFactor 2 e Game Stock Car Extreme sono tutti ottimi esempi, e che tra l'altro sono tutti vostri diretti competitori nel mercato dei simulatori).

Sfortunatamente al momento non ci sembra che il multiplayer di Assetto Corsa offra la stabilità e le funzionalità richieste per fare in modo che i clienti ritornino.

Come diretto risultato, abbiamo notato una marcata tendenza nelle corse del nostro RaceDepartment club in cui abbiamo un grande influsso di giocatori immediatamente dopo un aggiornamento importante, per poi vedere una significativa diminuzione nel giro di una settimana circa, man mano che i piloti si rendono conto che gli altri competitori nel mercato dei racing sim offrono più funzionalità per le corse in multiplayer.

Corse in multiplayer propriamente funzionanti con caratteristiche come split per i settori, cronometraggio in tempo reale, modalità spettatore\di trasmissione, netcode stabile per gli utenti con un ping alto, modalità a griglia invertita, corse multiple, un numero molto maggiore di posti sulla griglia (quale corsa GT ha solo 24 auto?), miglioramenti ai pitstop ed altre ancora sono necessarie per un simulatore completo e sostenibile che non solo sarà redditizio per voi, ma massimizzerà anche il divertimento degli utenti e aumenterà sostanzialmente l'arco di vita del vostro titolo.

Guardandolo dalla prospettiva di “uomo e macchina contro il tracciato”, pochi altri simulatori sul mercato possono competere con quello che offre Assetto Corsa in termini di fisica, sonoro ed immersione su pista, creando quella che è probabilmente il miglior simulatore di hot-lapping e pratica mai creato e venduto al consumatore.
Tuttavia, guardandolo come un “simulatore di corse in multiplayer”, ci si rende conto che Assetto Corsa è piuttosto indietro rispetto ai suoi rivali.

Noi capiamo completamente che cose del genere richiedono tempo per essere sviluppate, e siamo più che volenterosi di essere pazienti ed aspettare dei miglioramenti al multiplayer, ma Assetto Corsa è ormai in fase di sviluppo da abbastanza tempo per garantire uno standard accettabile di funzionalità e stabilità nelle modalità online.
Visto l'enorme successo che Assetto Corsa ha avuto, crediamo che i limiti di budget forse non siano più un grande ostacolo per lo studio, particolarmente in termini di investimento sul netcode.

Sebbene la qualità dei contenuti (sia auto che tracciati) sia davvero incredibile, noi di RaceDepartment crediamo fortemente che voi, Kunos Simulazioni, dobbiate spostare la vostra attenzione dall'implementare nuovi contenuti al migliorare la funzionalità del gioco. Se questi problemi non saranno risolti a breve, allora correrete il rischio di vedere un declino rapido e significativo del bacino d'utenza di Assetto Corsa.
Come la più grande community di SimRacing nel mondo, noi crediamo sinceramente che i problemi di cui abbiamo scritto sopra riceveranno più attenzione in futuro, perché crediamo che Assetto Corsa abbia il potenziale per diventare IL simulatore di corse sul mercato.

In chiusura, vorremmo lasciarvi con un ultimo pensiero: mentre essere in grado di guidare repliche incredibilmente accurate di auto e tracciati leggendari è un'esperienza surreale e davvero eccitante, a cosa servono tutti questi contenuti eccezionali se le limitazioni della funzionalità ed usabilità del gioco ci impediscono di realizzare tutto il loro potenziale?

Speriamo che in un futuro non troppo lontano Assetto Corsa dimostrerà di essere l'incredibile simulatore di corse che noi, così come chiunque altro, sappiamo che può diventare.

Cordiali saluti,
RaceDepartment.

According to a website that tracks gaming sales, AC had about 205,000 purchases in 2014 and ranked #90 on the Steam list. Not including 2013, 2015 or DLC. So you do the math, a company that has somewhere loosely between 7 and 15 million in revenues (maybe more) I would not consider a small outfit, you can go on about costs and expenses it is still has a substantial revenue stream in which to deal with. Perspective is important in the marketing world. There are 2 billion dollar tech companies with 50 employees. It's a business guys.:)
I wonder how many of those sales are at a discount though? I haven't paid full price for AC or DLC and I doubt many have.

15 million euros seems like a lot but if you need to spend 15.3 million you might as well be broke. Businesses may deal in big sums of money but it doesn't make them rich as such, for the most part money is coming in one door and going straight out the other, even business dealing in millions may only have a few thousand left over after everything's paid for. The actual sums of money mean nothing, it's what's left over that counts.

I stated very clearly that the figure was loosely based number (a low number) and I clearly said REVENUE which is a gross not a net.
They didn't receive that amount of money at the end of the year... pretty sure they used it along the way for expenses, licensing and development, some goes to steam etc.. So is different than receiving 6mil in one payment than getting it piece by piece, and use it for development along the way.

I don´t know how that is opposite. Lower ping is always better.

The server I race it is based in the US I believe so I have pings around 150 and that isn´t much of a problem. Have racers in Australia, Europe and US so quite spread out.

Yes, you're absolutely right, low ping is allways better, what i mean is that MP part of AC don't work well, even on low pings like 150 for example, because 150 is a low acceptable ping right? I have good internet connection but if the server i'm connecting is in Asia i may have something around 150/180 natural ping and still be perfectly played in rFactor2 for example ;) not in AC...

I wonder how many of those sales are at a discount though? I haven't paid full price for AC or DLC and I doubt many have.

I didn't either and lot of my team members and other racers I know didn't paid full price as well but the message is much stronger when the next DLC isn't being bought at all if it's only about cars and a track again (Nordschleife is extremely special, you cannot not buy that).

So if nothing is happening I suggest a ban on investing more money @AC

I bought dream pack straight away and some of us done that too to show Kunos that we're here and still supporting them and waiting patiently for updates, but one thing is sure, or the game develops as it should or i won't be buying anything else from them, and that means future games or software aswell as dreampacks. I already have two experiences with Kunos, NetKar Pro and AC, i'm still here but i can get tired of waiting for what never comes...

I didn't either and lot of my team members and other racers I know didn't paid full price as well but the message is much stronger when the next DLC isn't being bought at all if it's only about cars and a track again (Nordschleife is extremely special, you cannot not buy that).

So if nothing is happening I suggest a ban on investing more money @AC
I think all future DLC will be just cars and/or tracks. Kunos have shown that patches and software updates are free, even some tracks and cars will come out for free. But if we expect them to keep updating the game with new features (for free) then we have to support them by buying DLC. I don't know if I'll buy every DLC they release, at the prices they're charging I don't see why I wouldn't though. Laser scanned tracks are worth every cent as far as I can see.

I agree but the output of cars has to stop in my opinion, there already is too much choice. Concerning tracks, I don't know.. What do I want to explicitly drive laser scanned? I cannot think of a name, we already have such nice names! Bathurst maybe? But am I going to pay another 10 Euro's for that? I don't believe that, unless multiplayer improves.

More tracks would be nice in a good working online track rotation though.

Don't have to be that negative anyway, there are improvements but it 'feels' like the priority is more onto car development and as somebody else mentioned Forza already did exploit that path.

We might end up with 100 different cars. Hurray! But can't properly race against each other online. That would be a disappointment.

According to a website that tracks gaming sales, AC had about 205,000 purchases in 2014 and ranked #90 on the Steam list. Not including 2013, 2015 or DLC. So you do the math, ...

iRacing claim just 50,000 membership and dominates on-line racing . If AC has sold over 200,000 copies and yet iRacing has more on-line players, the math does confirm that off-line players are where its at.

iRacing claim just 50,000 membership and dominates on-line racing . If AC has sold over 200,000 copies and yet iRacing has more on-line players, the math does confirm that off-line players are where its at.
I think iRacing's lack of numbers in comparison to AC is largely due to their subscription service. If you could purchase iRacing outright for the price of any gold release game, then they'd have a much larger user base.

Agree presently, but I think the future is online. Just looking around corners and guessing that all gaming is headed in that directing

Agree presently, but I think the future is online.
I fear the opposite scenario. I think there are more and more people going to race on youtube in the near future. Already see a lot of people that used to be regular online racers only racing "on" youtube against AI. :confused:

Why get your ass kicked in an online lobby when you can easily beat the AI and get praised by your followers what an awesome driver you are. Personally I don't understand what the fun or the challenge is about that, but so many drivers, so many choices. :)

I think we will be stuck for a while with the 10-20% number @David Wright mentioned for real online racers. Sounds like a realistic number.

I'll say this in regards to iRacing, they may have 50,000 members, but there's rarely ever much more than 3,000 members online at any given time. However 3,000 people is a lot and easy to get a proper race any time of day.

If Kunos needs more money to complete the project, why don't they ask for funds ? I'm sure lot of people here would be glad to donate a few bucks or help if they have skills.

How many people in this forum didn't open there wallet wide open as soon as they proposed something ? I had the tech demo DAY ONE (and I was in Thaïland with a crappy laptop but I wanted to launch the game !), Early Access paid DAY ONE, DLC preordered DAY ONE.

And I am sure many people here did the same and took any opportunity they had to back up Kunos financially, and would gladly do again. And you know what ? We do it gladly, even if many of us know that it is still gonna be far from perfect on the points that are listed in this open letter !

If this is not involvment what is ?
Not saying this is you, but along with this sentiment there are people in the community who resent any extra money paid - they expect regular free DLC, won't give money for even high quality mods... and I think they outnumber people who reach eagerly for their wallet at every chance they get.

It just kinda belies the "if they build it, people will pay for it" sentiment that seems to get thrown around. Certainly modders have less expenses than Kunos but even just counting the man-hours involved, I doubt you could find anyone who makes even close to what they spend into the project. Heck, RSR barely makes back enough to run their servers.

Anyway, I'd probably point to this lack in paying customers as a bigger reason why sim mp is relatively quiet. RD's annual premium price is tiny but even at that, not many people go for it (then again, I'm in North American time zones, which is apparently about 1/10 as big as Europe in terms of when RD premium members want to race)

I completely agree with the letter. Nothing to add there. So thank you RD.
Can only talk about my preferences also, and to me is quite pointless sit on my chair to race against AIs. To me simply doesnt work.

I do SimRacing for the thrill of racing other PEOPLE around the world. Thats it. And hope that Kunos can improve this side, the more weak side of the Sim at this moment. The faster they improve this, the better.

The Sim is great, is promising. I hope it can become a reality in the next year or so.

But if MP doesnt evolve, probably I wont start it again in the future.

13? Why not 15? ;)
Well I am really glad you asked me that question, and assuming RD will forgive me my off topic subject, I'll be glad to answer it. To keep a bit on topic, I'll compare sometimes to AC.
I started playing FM in 1998 when it was still a "text only" style report from the match (I don't know the exact terms used in English) , when it was a fast sequence of reporting sentences to show what was going on in the match. I enjoyed it a lot, it was the start for me for pc gaming, besides console gaming.

I never completely understood (besides earning good money) why EA or Sports Interactive tends to bring out a game every year with such a huge data base, life span and variety in competitions, teams and so on...a game wich takes one easily over a year to play it to its full potential. This game takes time, insight, adaptation, knowledge and so much more to play it was meant to be...a simulation. I was hooked, just like AC now, and GT in the days or SOCOM on PS.
You see I have a principle: never buy a game that you won't play to the fullest, that won't take you out of this world into the virtual world, that won't consume you....for me gaming is like a part of my life, I just can't do without. I kind of fall in love with it and then stick to it to the bitter end.

Why would one buy a simulation game every year again, when the evolution is of little progress regarding content, technical performance and game style and when it takes easily more than a (few) year(s) to play it to its full potential? In FM, a talented football player stays about 15 to 18 virtual years or even more in the game, given you play that game long enough. As virtual years go faster than real ones, it doen's take us gamers 15 years to play a simulation, though it does take some years eventually. Why would one spend +€50 each year on the same game for small evolution steps and end up playing with the same team and/or footballers because, well, they are the same talented and fit players just like the season before (apart from exceptions like Sterchele from Club Brugge who died in a car crash or some heavy injuries).

It is much more interesting to stick with a game and view its (d)evolution for some years, because evoltion in time is not the same as evolution in standards. Football Manager had such a devolution, and I'm glad I waited a loooooooooooooong time to buy a new version, because in 2005 (I guess) it had turned into a poor standards game with lots and lots of system crashes and game ending errors. Until 2008, when the 2D graphics had come into play (maybe even before) and made this game visually more interesting. Then, with the purchase of my new pc in 2013 (this one, which I also buy only every 10 years) I got myself FM'13, which was again an upgrade in content and graphics (3D view of players on field).
The positive thing about waiting long enough to buy a new version of a game, is that you really feel the huge difference and evolution it's made since the beginning, not just a few tweaks wich cost you a new game price but actually a whole upgrade and next level of performance of that very same game you fell in love with. It's all about passion...
Compare it to people who own oldtimers and restore them to their full potential by using today's techniques and upgrades, a whole new car on the inside but still reminds them of that good old time when they fell in love with it.

You can make this assumption for my other games too: Gran Turismo, which I literally raced for +500,000km over 5 versions from the very start until 15 years later. Gran Turismo made me fell in love with virtual racing. For me GT3 was the least appealing version with too less content material and GT4 then again was the best version in wich it was clear they learned from the GT3 mistakes. GT5 didn't leap, it made some baby steps, I got bored with it and then, with the purchase of my new pc, I got AC.

SOCOM was for me the online highlight of 3rd person shooters, I got hooked and specialised in sniping skills, together with my best friend, being the 2 best snipers at that time in that game (at some point we got into top 50 of 3000 players online just by sniping). I got into this clan, HiTMeN and earned my HiT_MeTaL nickname. Being part of that clan, we also meet up in real life and became good friends for several years, doing stuff like paint ball and laser shooting, a real life extension of our virtual passion. Those were the days, and that's how I experience top simulation games: they just take you to places and create atmospheres on such a high level it (almost) gets real. This is where I learned about communities being formed and virtual friendships being made that enrich your gaming life by providing support and technical answers, by sharing opinions and discussing subjects of a game.

Ending on topic: Assetto Corsa. I got the feeling pretty quick that this game has true simulation potential and as I was looking for a race simulation worthy of succeeding GT, this would be the game I was going to fall in love with...and I did. I bought it in october 2013 and now, +900hrs later, I'm a self studied skin maker, part of a community and experienced virtual racer. The standards and graphics of this game are of a next level, it is truely amazing. Unfortunately, coming from the GT world I got used to extensive career mode and AI of reasonable standards. This is still hard for me to accept in AC, as it doesn't provide any of those two so much desired needs from me and a large part of this community.

Sure we can build our own career, but what's the point when the AI sucks big time? As this game showed graphically and content wise huge improvements, I am disappointed in not regarding this topic by Kunos whatsoever up to this day. I am pretty sure they won't let this go by them however, as it will stand or fall with this topic. Ignoring it would be the stupidest thing they could do, it would mean people like me go seek their needs elsewhere and it would die a slow death. If they do however upgrade it to a full level with enough depth, I assure you that I will spend as much time on it as GT and besome one of the biggest fans of this game. That's why it matters so hard for Kunos to listen to us people, devoting our free time to ONE SINGLE game in stead of hovering from one race sim to the other in order to find virtual racing happiness.

Kunos can make a lot of money out of me, if they provide me with my needs, cause I'm hooked and fell in love with their game. And I'm sure my needs represent half of this community's needs, that's a couple of thousands and counting (to millions?) that can be LIFELONG customers for upgrades, DLC's, new versions,... They have to realize if we scream this hard for providing us with a feature, it can make the world of difference to them if they do listen to us.
I'm going back to FM13 for the moment, hoping Kunos will hook me up in the near future with the required features this game needs in order to be satisfying to me (and so many others) and to be globally succesful as a COMPLETE sim racer and not just flashed the virtual world to leave with its tail between the legs.
Their mistake? Calling this game a full 1.1 version, sorry guys this is just 0.7 to me. Also a lack of communication (I thought Italians were so talkative??) to this matter is frustrating me, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes