New sim PC, opinion needed.

I think so :cautious:

Support for DDR4 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules

https://www.gigabyte.com/fr/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10#sp
BTW you'll probably be able to overclock your ram a little too somewhere in the future.
I am running 1600 instead of 1333. Yes, the 2 fps in assetto corsa are awesome!
Just kidding, but the 10 seconds while rendering are nice to have.
With your motherboard you might be able to raise it 2 frequency steps but that's future talk :)

something like the dell (big fan of dell myself)
Alienware 34 Curved Gaming Monitor: AW3418DW
3440x1440 ; 100hz ; about 1000€

or

Alienware 34 Curved Gaming Monitor | AW3418HW
2560x1080; 100 Hz ; about 700€

??

I think so :cautious:

Support for DDR4 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules

https://www.gigabyte.com/fr/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10#sp

Yes, that's the support it offers. Not if it's compatible.

Is it on this list? http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_z370-aorus-gaming-5_180420.pdf

It's just a double check, and often useless, but good to look at and be sure. Although, G.Skill is a trustworthy name (got it myself) so I think you won't run into troubles.

You seem to have the money so grab 1440p :)
It's quite a lot crisper for text reading and just better looking in general and better on the eyes. The reduces pixel crawling is a good argument too.
But it's also not a little amount of money on top...

No idea about the brands. If you read reviews you don't want to buy any monitor at all as most of them have real problems. It probably doesn't matter... You receive it, you check it, you might send it back 3x until you get a good one.

Liquid-cooling, be it AIO or custom solution, will always be prone to failure. It's not myth or gossip, it's a fact. I don't mean just the radiators and the fragile tubing/connections, but the pumps. It may take weeks, or months, or years (you just never know) but will always fail at some point. Guaranteed.

Is your opinion/guarantee based on personal experience? If so, when? I'd agree with you that in the early days of water cooling there seemed to be a lot of pump failures and leaks from AIO coolers. Now, however, you're probably no more likely to have an AIO cooler fail than you are to have a PSU fail. There's a reason that Corsair offers the same warranty as Noctua (5 years) - they have faith in the reliability of their products. I've got absolutely nothing against air coolers, I just prefer water.

Is your opinion/guarantee based on personal experience? If so, when? I'd agree with you that in the early days of water cooling there seemed to be a lot of pump failures and leaks from AIO coolers. Now, however, you're probably no more likely to have an AIO cooler fail than you are to have a PSU fail. There's a reason that Corsair offers the same warranty as Noctua (5 years) - they have faith in the reliability of their products. I've got absolutely nothing against air coolers, I just prefer water.

Yes, based on personal experience and of friends. :) We've got a circle of fairly experient people (some around the custom stuff since the 90s) who work(ed) on PC shops, where also repairs are made, as well from IT backgrounds.
I'd gladly share all stories I've witnessed but, as you've seen with my style of forum posting (long walls of text) the internet isn't big enough! :confused:
What I can say is that I've seen enough misery situations (motherboards kaput with coolant leak, CPU overheating because of dead pump, faulty radiators, list goes on and on), including with two PCs of my own.
That's why I now avoid liquid-cooling and always recommend good air-coolers, every single time, for most users (including those overclocking).

Comparing to modern PSUs is not really the same.
PSUs have standards (80+ Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc) which are taken very serious from the better brands. You have to be really, really unlucky if a good quality PSU effs up (on its own) your PC component these days.
There is no legislation or standard control like that going on with liquid-cooling (AFAIK).
You see, you have to have a PSU, it's a necessity on any PC system. You do not have to have an AIO, it's not a necessity at all (more like a "tuning" part thing for PC geeks).

More over, and AFAIK, most -if not all- of the current AIOs are variations of the very same old design patent of pump, hooses and radiator (possibly least problematic and most cost effective from all available) dating ages ago, because of monetary and patent register issues.
For example, google search articles on "Asetek watercooling patent" (which I think still stands) and you may understand some of the BS that has been happening.

AIOs have certainly improved (around same design), and the RMAs on recent AIOs seem now far less frequent than with much older ones (going back a decade). But that's the problem - they still happen. :)
Usually the warranty (if still going!) is honored, but the issue is when sh!t happens to the rest of the components (motherboard and etc) - good luck with the manufacturer taking full responsability.

With one of my friends, one of two AIO hooses got loose at the socket joint part (correct english term?) and spilled all the coolant on the motherboard. Luckily the PC was off, the chassis was a sort of test bench (horizontal position), and only the motherboard was damaged (no repair possible). The thing is.... it was an Asus X99-Deluxe... a 350,00+ Euros motherboard (...OUCH!!!).

There is nothing wrong if your prefer AIOs, its appeal is understandable.
But the simplicity and reliability of a good and modern air-cooler is unparalled - as much as anyone tries to defend AIOs, they still can't even compare there.
Personally, I'd rather use a good air-cooler, which -if that much- in comparison will get ~5ºC worse temp in CPU (meaningless in true use case terms) and be completely safe with it, forever. Not to mention the obvious fact that one pays far less when purchasing an air-cooler (money that can be used for other important component). ;)

Last edited:
I brought a LG USB DVD so I never had to put a big brick in my new Obsidian 750D so you can imagine what I think about big arsed coolers :)

Thing I like about cleaning you can hang radiator and fans outside
case, place towel over tower and around hoses and blow it out with
pressure no re-pasting and wrecking probably best thermal you can get

There is also a big but ...........
Give a novice any AIO but Corsair they have to paste themselves and we all know how that can go for noddys don't we ?

Corsair makes it so anyone can carefully lower pump and mount so easy
and attain perfect contact with pre-fitted paste which is super good

Trick I use with new Corsair is to run load without the fans just the pump and let temps rise gradually and evenly then shut it off for 1/2 a hour and connect fans so paste is nice ;)

Here is my 8700 and H110 idling a few C above ambient :)
That is with auto voltages never gone above v1.3 load
tested some sims more to do but 40-50C is all I have seen
Like I said summer will be entirely another story add 23C and stir lol

Hi everybody

I have decided on all components now. Maybe they are not the best and or the cheaper, maybe I am wrong, but I have to decide on something . I am about ready to purchase after some last checks during the week end.

Here is my new PC list so far. Once again, many many thanks for all the advices and comments.

CPU : Intel I7-8700K.
I will don't use overclocking 99% of the time, but who knows ? It will be available if needed.
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z370 Aorus gaming 5
There is probably other offers as good as this one, but it is a Z370 for overcklocking the I7-8700K, various connectors for many things, wifi, ...
GPU : MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8g
It could be endless discussion. I have seen this one which seems to be an honest compromise. The look is ok, and the review I could read are mainly positive.
Alim: Coolermaster Masterwatts 650W
Once again many choice. It seems to cover my needs at the moment. It has enough connection for the MSI (8 pins + 6 pins needed to power the card properly)
Ventirad : Be quiet Dark rock 4
No AIO for me. The Dark rock 4 has good review and should cover my needs. I could upgrade that easily if needed in some years (possible to had a fan ). I have choosen the Be quiet, because I will also purchase (optional) two fans be quiet Silent wing 3 PWM for the enclosure (I am not convinced I really need them)
HDD : Seagate Firecuda 1To (Hybrid)
More than enough place for some , mods etc..
SDD : Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M2 250 go
This one seems to be pretty well known (in use in many videos I could see), and is on the compatibility list from Gigabyte.

For Windows and the main software I will use.
The motherboard has three M2 places, so I don't see any point why not to use one of them. l will go for M2 SDD and I will see.
Less cables
RAM : Corsair CMR16GX4M2C3000C15 2x8Go 3000 Mhz
This one is also on the compatibility list from gigabyte. I should have no problem with this RAM
Enclosure : Be quiet pure base 600 (probably without glass window)
I have finally opted for this enclosure. I have seen many videos and reviews. It seems to be a nice enclosure for the price.
It can be opened totally without tools, and also from above, it has 5.25" bay just in case, it is delivered with be quiet fans with good reputation. and the unused bay can be removed.
The connectors location and type are good for my needs.
It will be with all the rest of Be quiet accessories I could purchase (Ventirad and fans) . A detail .

I have suddenly a doubt , during the last check list :roflmao:

Do I really need something like the M2 SSD Samsung 970 EVO.
Very nice indeed, but maybe overkill or not really necessary just for a simracing PC ?
(maybe more useful for video or music ??)

For an identical budget , I wonder if I should not go with two "normal" SATA 3 SDD (250go + 500 gb) like Samsung 860 EVO ???
I will have 250go less storage, but all SSD, which should be good (also for the building because I could remove all the normal drive bay ?
Honestly, I would have enough storage at the moment for all the simulation I own. I could purchase another bigger SSD for cheap in some years if needed :laugh:

What do you think about that ???

I have suddenly a doubt , during the last check list :roflmao:

Do I really need something like the M2 SSD Samsung 970 EVO.
Very nice indeed, but maybe overkill or not really necessary just for a simracing PC ?
(maybe more useful for video or music ??)

For an identical budget , I wonder if I should not go with two "normal" SATA 3 SDD (250go + 500 gb) like Samsung 860 EVO ???
I will have 250go less storage, but all SSD, which should be good (also for the building because I could remove all the normal drive bay ?
Honestly, I would have enough storage at the moment for all the simulation I own. I could purchase another bigger SSD for cheap in some years if needed :laugh:

What do you think about that ???
Personally I'd love go all SSD. The HDDs are literally the ONLY part in my whole PC that are making some noise.
I have them hanging in a rubber band shell in the 5.25" drive bay.

I wonder if I should not go with two "normal" SATA 3
I read it like nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo ah, SSD.
Some of my real life friends decided against SSDs, stating they aren't bothered by the boot times etc. Every time I'm at their place I almost go nuts, lol! :speechless:

Anyway, you won't really feel the difference between M2 and SATA 3. I have Win 7 running since I built this PC. 4 different SSDs yet and I didn't see nor feel any differences at all although the reading speed has almost doubled.

So if you can save some money or get rid of HDD, do it :)
The moment one of the modded sims will go nuts and you decide to "back it up" to mess with it you'll be very thankful for copying 40GB on SSDs and not to HDDs :p

I was mabe not clear enough.

The question is: ? two SSD SATA 3 versus SSD PCie NVMe + HDD hybrid.

If I understand well , two SDD Sata 3 will be already a quick and reliable solution .

Nice build, nice thread. Thumbs up for that already :)
Only comment from me :
Throw an i7 8700k in it, nothing else.

Basically all available Sims are cpu limited. Of course you can melt every gpu available by using 4k downsampling etc but you can always lower graphic settings.
However when your cpu becomes the limitation, you're screwed!

I spent a lot of time comparing performances. Annoyed all of my friends with it so I'm telling from research and experience.

I bought an I7 2600k in 2011. Lots of my friends got the i5 2500k or a non k version.
I'm the only one who didn't upgrade yet because I have a little bit higher performance and a good amount of overclock.

But I only play at 60 fps with vsync. You want 100!

Little tech talk:
All Sims are single thread limited. Although they support multiple cores, there is mostly 1 single thread that limits the fps.
Now there are two factors:
1. Pure single thread performance (cinebench single thread benchmark can show it)
2. Windows shuffles that single thread around between the cores so you see an even cpu load but it's really 100% load peaks so quickly at one core at the time that it only looks evened out!

The 8700k has the highest single thread performance currently on the market which gives you a huge boost!
Also 6 cores/12 threads give it another boost as windows can shuffle around a lot.

If you want to keep your mobo/ram/CPU/cooler unit for 5+ years, get the i7 8700k.

I would even recommend to rather get that cpu and only a 1060 for simracing on Single screen.
You can always throw in a better gpu but swapping the CPU with mostly the need for changing motherboard and memory too is huge pain and costly!

And to complete my intervention:
@RainhamIron would you be so kind to (again) say a few words about your story and painful path from the i7 4970k to your 8700k? :D

Sorry for the way too long post and my kinda strong tone but I really don't want you to not reach the fps you want and becoming frustrated in a few years.

My 2600k starts to struggle with big grids in raceroom, a few more overlays in AC, race starts in wreckfest and rF2 and with some non racing games.
The i5s and non-k of my friends are long gone and it slowly comes the time for my i7 k too.

So please get the 8700k and shred out fps for as many years as possible :)
So much this!

I have an i5-3550 and I totally regret that I bought it. (I couldn't afford an i7 at that time and chose the i5. I should have waited a few months and invested into something better.) My next PC will defintely have an i7. My current CPU struggles a lot in Racing Games when more than 20 opponents are involved.

Perfect thread btw! :)

If I understand well , two SDD Sata 3 will be already a quick and reliable solution .
No no, I wasn't clear enough apparently. I was making fun, cause I first misread the second quote. The fun didn't come across :roflmao:

I totally got you, go for 2 normal SSDs. Friend of mine got some M2s and there's barely a difference in daily use.
The strongest argument would be for people like me who got more and more SSDs over the years every time the prices dropped.
I have: 2x 1TB HDD, 2x 250GB, 1x 750GB SSD. I don't have any space left for any SATA now so if somebody like me upgrades to a newer mobo, throwing in some M2s is attractive :)

Hi everybody

I have decided on all components now. Maybe they are not the best and or the cheaper, maybe I am wrong, but I have to decide on something . I am about ready to purchase after some last checks during the week end.

Here is my new PC list so far. Once again, many many thanks for all the advices and comments.

I will don't use overclocking 99% of the time, but who knows ? It will be available if needed.
There is probably other offers as good as this one, but it is a Z370 for overcklocking the I7-8700K, various connectors for many things, wifi, ...
I think I'm going to copy your homework. :D

The only thing I'd say about SSD is get as big as you can, 250gb sounds like enough but windows is a greedy pig and will eat through it no matter how often you tell it not too. I currently have a 250gb SSD, a few programs and games and it's done.

I wouldn't drop the standard HDD, it's always handy to have one for storage. Even if it doesn't get used that often.

Oh... SSHDs (hybrid drives).... :sick:
I'll say this after owning an SSHD for nearly four months... unless you're using the SSHD as single drive for a budget system, it makes no sense and is a waste of money.
In your case, my advice is to not go for it.
I'm not sure it's same model you're listing there, mine was a Seagate Firecuda SSHD 1TB 7200RPM (model ST1000DX002), which should be same thing in practice.

I've had the OS in a 240GB SSD for ages, and I bought this SSHD thinking it'd be a kind of "faster archive drive than regular HDD". :rolleyes: Yeah, riiiiiight... When it was put to use, I felt underwhelmed to the point of feeling robbed (as it's 2x the price of a good 7200RPM 64MB cache HDD of same capacity).
For the uses I gave it as secondary archive drive (downloads, games + modding, movies, music, sound editing, etc) that Seagate SSHD brought absolutely no benefits (whatsoever) over the nice 1TB WD Blue that I already had (model WD10EZEX, single plate 7200RPM, 64MB cache).
So, I ended up selling it through friends, and instead got a Toshiba P300 2TB (model HDWD120UZSVA) with which I'm super satisfied.

Even after dozens of systems built with WD Blacks (nice but expensive), I think these two HDDs I got are (still) the best bargains in the market for their respective HDD capacity segments.
Not only they are really affordable, they got great performance (often getting ~190 MB/s reads and ~150 MB/s writes) and have been utterly reliable.

So, regardless of your final decision on SSD NVMe or SSD SATA-III, if you want to add a 7200RPM HDD for archives and also for gaming, 1TB or 2TB disc size, you may find that they're good options. :thumbsup: As long as it's not constant heavy loading game titles (like ARMA 3, or DCS World), they do the job just fine for gaming too.

Last edited:
Hi
I finally put purchase order on the web.
I will of course keep you informed after the building itself (something I have never done by myself).
I am pretty sure that I will be happy with this PC, even if I know it will not be the most powerful PC around and that it has already some limitations.

GPU : MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8g
Alim: Coolermaster Masterwatts 650W
Ventirad : Be quiet Dark rock 4
SDD : Samsung SSD 860 evo sata 3 250 go + 500 go
RAM : Corsair CMR16GX4M2C3000C15 2x8Go 3000 Mhz
Enclosure : Be quiet pure base 600
DVD RW : Asus DRW-24D5MT

1704€ ; (amazon.fr / alternate.fr)

I have decided to not purchase two more fans at the moment. I could always do that later if I really need them.
so as for one more HDD.

I also have of course to make a big choice for the monitor.
for the GTX 1070 ti i should probably go for 1080p. For the futur, probably for 1440p. (or wait for VR in some years, when the offer will be probably a lot more powerful as the current one)

Let's wait and see !

Sounds really good!
If you got the money I'd go with 1440p. You probably won't really be able to run maxed out settings as 1400p needs quite a lot more GPU power than 1080p.
But it will reduce pixel crawling, enhance the natural sharpness and overall give you a lot better image quality. Only if you can live with less shiny and fancy graphics of course.
I currently have a 1080p 27" 60hz monitor and sit around 80cm away. It's okay but when gaming on my TV, which is 1080p, 55" and around 3m away, it has a way better image quality. Sharper, a lot less flickering and the eyes don't hurt after some time.
I also have a Surface Pro 3 which got basically 1440p on 12".

Especially when I read a lot for my studies or editing photos, it really makes a big difference between TV/Surface and my 27" 1080p Monitor.

I only got a 1070 and not planning on upgrading it but I am saving up for a 1440p, 144hz Monitor and hopefully will be able to make the purchase early on next year.

That said, if you only want to use the Monitor for gaming and don't care about some pixel crawling and crystal clear details, save the money and go for 1080p. It's not bad! Doing it for a few years now.

But I wanted to give you some input :)

I once did a comparison video for 1440p vs 1080p pixel crawling in The Witcher 3 and a zoomed video to really show what I mean by pixel crawling.
Here's the 185MB rar file containing both videos from my Dropbox (Youtube bitrate would make the pixel crawling invisible).
LINK

Look at the tree trunks on the right to see the difference. 2 years ago I was really bothered by this, coming from titles with really nice Anti Aliasing (like Automobilista with 8x Sparse Grid Super Sampling!), jumping into modern titles with sometimes only FXAA available.
Jumping to today, I'm barely bothered by it. The experience when moving further away (aka gaming on the TV) is a lot calmer comparing pixel crawling though.

Last edited:
The left part is clearly better.
I suppose iti is the 1440p.
It also seems to have more Anti aliasing, provided by the higher resolution. (see the pants of the guy when he is running)

I see the effect on the wood construction on the right.

Thanks for your input.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back