New sim PC, opinion needed.

If you buying new seems redundant not to get M2 drives for at least OS and main sims partition not that they gain any significant time loading
The only good improvement over say Blacks was hard-inking assetto mods in mod manager ( which not many do ) and for Generic mod enablers JSGME/OVGME which
I use in other titles ......just like AC does Duc lol ;)

Steam titles like spintires, ATS, ETS, Beam, GTR, GTL, rFactor and others I more then happy to have a Steam folder on a green sata running off a dual usb3.0 docking bay, with all Sata used set in policies for " better performance" they run max transfer speeds ;)

The main advantages for SSD besides boot speed for me was reducing clutter
With 2 M2 4 less leads and another 2 saved using USB DVD
For my other SSD my case has 4 bays on motherboard tray further improving airflow
and taking up virtually no space

Before I had all SSD and Sata in 2 x 3 removeable drive bays as thick as a brick p
a huge wall to cooling and just plain ugly in a windowed case

Anyways nice build
I still would not put a DVD in it
Just look so out of place with rest of components especially in a nice case
Ugly pressed metal and they run hot when using p

Last edited:
I finally purchased the DVD , but I will probably not mount it at the beginning.
I will have it just in case i really need it. I have some old sim (RBR, nascar 2003, ...) and I don't know if i would need the DVD to install them ?
I agree that I don't really need one, but 16€ on the global price is nothing ;)

Just in case I also have two USB "normal" Hard drive 1 To at home, which are just about sleeping in their boxes. I can use them in case when I need some downloaded files storage.
This is why 250 + 500 go SSD as main drive should be enough. (I also don't use a lot of mods. I would like, but no time for that !)

I should have mostly part for the week end, and I could begin the building together with my boy . (Education is also a part of the thing isn't it ?)

Question, if I wanted to buy an i7 8700K, is it worth the extra money for a 4.7 Ghz model, or should I just overclock a cheaper model (I already have a water cooler).
Thanks.

Question, if I wanted to buy an i7 8700K, is it worth the extra money for a 4.7 Ghz model, or should I just overclock a cheaper model (I already have a water cooler).
Thanks.

The only cheaper overclock "K" model you can get is i5-8600K
i5 is better bang for buck

If you can afford the extra get the i7 especially for high resolutions, VR or upgrading GPU, every little bit helps in these situations

Oh the other thing is a K is a waste imho if you don't overclock
They only do 4.3Ghz across all cores which is same as my 8700
and 100MHz more on 1,2,3 or 4 core does very little

Untitled_1.jpg

I finally purchased the DVD , but I will probably not mount it at the beginning.
I will have it just in case i really need it. I have some old sim (RBR, nascar 2003, ...) and I don't know if i would need the DVD to install them ?
I agree that I don't really need one, but 16€ on the global price is nothing ;)

Just in case I also have two USB "normal" Hard drive 1 To at home, which are just about sleeping in their boxes. I can use them in case when I need some downloaded files storage.
This is why 250 + 500 go SSD as main drive should be enough. (I also don't use a lot of mods. I would like, but no time for that !)

I should have mostly part for the week end, and I could begin the building together with my boy . (Education is also a part of the thing isn't it ?)

Best bet for any sims on DVD is to burn a iso image and mount to install
That keeps your originals in box safe from accidents etc

DVD as storage is dead 200 on Ebay are $35US and 1TB HDD is $39US and they are not best quality discs for 16x

M2 like SSD bigger capacity usually have better write speed
I used 500GB as 1st M2 but I partitioned only 77.5GB for C:\SYSTEM
The rest is D:\SSD_SIMS#1
2nd M2 250GB E:\SSD_SIMS#2
1st SSD 250GB F:\SSD_SIMS#3
2nd SSD 500GB G:\SSD_SIMS#4
+ 1TB Sata H:\ SIM PATCHES

SSD cost almost as much as the sims lol

The only cheaper overclock "K" model you can get is i5-8600K
i5 is better bang for buck

If you can afford the extra get the i7 especially for high resolutions, VR or upgrading GPU, every little bit helps in these situations
Thanks, but you didn't answer my question. :)
I was asking if it's better to buy a faster model i7 or just overclock a slower one. Is there a difference in the architecture?
Edit: OK NVM I Googled it. :roflmao:

Last edited:
Thanks, but you didn't answer my question. :)
I was asking if it's better to buy a faster model i7 or just overclock a slower one. Is there a difference in the architecture?
Edit: OK NVM I Googled it. :roflmao:
The answer would be:
Yes! Absolutely!
(but Intel restricts it so there is no overclock for non-k) :p

Interesting point.

How big should be the partition for windows 10, in order to have no problem in the future ?
I have no idea at all.

should I use the 250 Go SDD only for windows 10 and put the Simulations on the 500 Go SDD?
SDD1 : windows
SDD2 : all Simulation games

Should I use 100 Go for Windows 10 and the rest for ?
SDD 1 : 100 go windows
SDD 1 : 150 go Assetto corsa + ??? (assetto corsa competizione)
SDD 2 : 500 go SDD : netkar pro / Grand prix legends / GTR2 / GTL / Rfactor / RBR

I don't use much mods. no time at all for that.
If not enough place on SDD, I can of course purchase a thrid one at anytime if needed.

Thanks
(I should have the part to build the PC this week end, but I have no monitor and no keyboard :whistling:)

My windows partition is 250gb, got 70gb spare but I have office, some uni programs etc on it.
120gb is fine for a clean windows but once you need space for whatever, it's not there.

I'd go with 200gb so you have some spare for an emergency second windows install in the unpartitioned area behind it but enough space to not care at all!
Sims aren't that big. Got 70gb assetto corsa and the others are between 10-30gb. 500 should fit :)
I use quite some mods!

I don't have rfactor 2 or Race room experience.

Of course I have assetto Corsa + all DLC + some mods and tracks (not that much).
As old simulations, I have a lot of them that I always use , but I don't have much mods with them anymore. I used to have many many mods, but this period is over :D

I have of Grand Prix legends and some of the best mods , but again almost only with the original tracks (+ some fantastic tracks as Spa67, ..) . I should work seriously on my rank !
It is my favourite simulation EVER.
(I just purchased initially assetto corsa to give a try at the lotus 49)

I have rfactor, but I currently only use the porsche cup mod by enduracers + some nice tracks.

I have (GTR and) GTR2 + 10th anniversary update, which looks great and offers already fantastic cars. No need to had many mods (except maybe some nice tracks like Le mans or mid ohio from Virtua LM for example)

I have Netkar pro, which I love . I hope my new PC will run it at its best.

I have GTL, but again almost no mods or tracks

I have RBR + RSRBR (this one is big). Maybe one of the most exciting simulation EVER.

I have Nascar 2003 (not currently installed), but I never really played nascar. I used it to race on leagues mainly with the FANTASTIC endurance GTP mod by Redline (long endurance race with pilot change).

So, many simulations (I don't really need new ones), but not many mods anymore.
I have all that I need. I really hope that my new pc could run everything at its best, and I will be very happy.

Upcoming simulation in the future ????
We will see then !:thumbsup:

My PC build is not over yet.

I really need to decide for a monitor, and even with the nice explanation from Rasmus (Thanks !!), I can not really decide.
Sorry in advance for this long post.

I have decided to purchase a Dell alienware 34" 21:9 Gsync
- I like the look
- I like the connectivity
- I like Dell quality (my laptop is a dell)
- I like the Dell service and Garantee.

That said, There is a big choice to make between two models which are pretty different.

Alienware 34" AW3418HW / 2560x1080 / 144hz-160hz / 3800R (slightly curved) / 699€

Alienware 34" AW3418DW / 3440x1440 / 100hz-120hz / 1900R (more curved) / 1090€

Even if I appreciate the explanation from Rasmus regarding the 1440, I really hesitate to put 1090€ into a monitor. It makes a 400€ price difference, and it is not nothing (I could use to replace my G25 wheel or help to purchase a cockpit.)
I also have to admit that I have a doubt with the pretty pronounced curvature on the AW3418DW comparing to the AW3418HW

With AW3418HW 1080 @ 144-160Hz, it will be "easier" to reach higher fps for the next games to come in the future. And if I can not have 100 fps, the Gsync will help (??)
Plus, the high refresh rate may be interesting for my current simulation (I could run pretty easily all the old simulation at 144-160fps, except maybe assetto corsa with ultra setting??)

On the other side, with the AW3418DW 1440 @ 100-120Hz I could take benefit of the 1440 resolution to have a better image, but with less fps.
For the old simulation games it will be probably no problem, but for Assetto corsa or in the future it may be more difficult to have high fps with the GTX 1070ti I have choosen as a compromise. Of course I can always reduce the resolution at 1080 then, but it is maybe not the same as running the native resolution of the monitor.

Plus it is not easy to understand the benefit of Gsync in all situations.

My sentiment is that the AW3418HW is already an amazing monitor, not too curved, and that it will suited very well my new PC.
I am afraid that 1440 will be maybe "too much" for the GTX1070ti in some situation.

I will be happy to have your opinion / advice on that.
1080@144hz-160Hz vs 1440@100-120Hz ???

If in doubt, i will take the AW3418HW

Thanks !

I really need to decide for a monitor, and even with the nice explanation from Rasmus (Thanks !!), I can not really decide.

- I like the look

That said, There is a big choice to make between two models which are pretty different.

Alienware 34" AW3418HW / 2560x1080 / 144hz-160hz / 3800R (slightly curved) / 699€

Even if I appreciate the explanation from Rasmus regarding the 1440, I really hesitate to put 1090€ into a monitor. It makes a 400€ price difference, and it is not nothing (I could use to replace my G25 wheel or help to purchase a cockpit.)
I also have to admit that I have a doubt with the pretty pronounced curvature on the AW3418DW comparing to the AW3418HW

With AW3418HW 1080 @ 144-160Hz, it will be "easier" to reach higher fps for the next games to come in the future. And if I can not have 100 fps, the Gsync will help (??)
Plus, the high refresh rate may be interesting for my current simulation (I could run pretty easily all the old simulation at 144-160fps, except maybe assetto corsa with ultra setting??)

On the other side, with the AW3418DW 1440 @ 100-120Hz I could take benefit of the 1440 resolution to have a better image, but with less fps.
For the old simulation games it will be probably no problem, but for Assetto corsa or in the future it may be more difficult to have high fps with the GTX 1070ti I have choosen as a compromise. Of course I can always reduce the resolution at 1080 then, but it is maybe not the same as running the native resolution of the monitor.

My sentiment is that the AW3418HW is already an amazing monitor, not too curved, and that it will suited very well my new PC.
I am afraid that 1440 will be maybe "too much" for the GTX1070ti in some situation.

Thanks !
Get the 1080p. Sounds for me like you should get that one and not the 1440p!
Can you send it back if you don't like it? If yes definitely try 1080p first and see if you aren't bothered with Pixel crawling or blurriness.
I doubt you will :)
It also depends what you're used to. If you have a 4k TV and a really high dpi phone + tablet it might bother you. If you have a full HD phone and only watch 720p TV... You won't miss the 1440p while gaming :)

I have currently a dell inspiron 17R SE 1080p@120Hz (I play assetto corsa @60hz on it, but can play easily all the old simulation @120Hz)
No fancy smartphone (just a old good blckberry with real tastatur for sms !) , and no 4k TV.
I have a nice samsung tablet also.

As a TV we have a plasma Pioneer Kuros PDP-428XD 720p, which remains a fantastic TV for all kind of sources. I have a lot of pleasure to look at it daily and don't even consider to replace it. I love plasma image.
(just google kuros 428XD and you will see what I mean)

- I like the look

Thanks !

The cheaper AW3418HW is the better one for your setup as it stands. The higher resolution is a better option for duel use gaming and productivity, and future proofing when you eventually upgrade the GPU.

Running anything over 100hz is good, really for racing anything above this won't matter to your perception. I've always thought 60hz is totally adequate for sim racing, really high refresh rates make the most difference in fast paced titles of the shooting variety where your aiming for pinpoint accuracy.

Hi
I have put an order on the Dell alienware 34" AW3418HW ; 2560x1080 @ 144-160Hz
I hope it will turn to be a good choice, because I don't purchase such monitor every week !

It should be delivered on about one week.

Thanks a lot for all the advices during my quest for choosing new PC parts.
It is not as easy as it seems, because the choice is really huge.

Let me receive the parts and build the PC, and then I will put my comments on the results.

I hope also that all of this could have been interesting for somebody else.

Hi

I began the build.
As expected, it is not so easy as it seems. I must be to old for such thing :D , or I have to big fingers :whistling:

I would have some questions regarding the enclosure fans .
I had a lot of difficulties to understand how to connect the fans on my enclosure Be quiet pure base 100. For an example, it took me time to realise that there is a fan cable which is provided BUT doesn't have to be used . It is here for a third fan, just in case.

My question is that the fan cables are pre-installed with a rheobus on the front side (3 positions).

Should I stay with this installation (I can them select the fan speed with the three position switch), or should I connect directly on my motherboard andlet it make the regulation (bios configuration + Smart fan 5 software) ???

The fans are be quiet Pure wings 2 , NOT pwm.

What is the best ?
I am a little lost. Thanks in advance

The CPU fan is the only one that must be connected to the motherboard. Run the case fans off the case controller so you can control the fan speeds manually to manage the noise level by the switch.

Any spare fan connectors don't need to be used, but I would suggest 2 intake fans and a single exhaust fan. This arrangement reduces dust build up by forcing all the incoming air through the filtered front fans, and prevents the exhaust fan sucking air into the case through any unfiltered gaps.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.8%