New Console Developer? Ian Bell Announces 'Mad Box'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
SMS Mad Box 1.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios Ian Bell has confirmed on Twitter that the developers behind Project CARS are working on a new and super powerful console.

Intending to pitch right into the fight for console supremacy with the likes of Microsoft and Sony, Bell has confirmed that SMS are working on the provisionally titled 'Mad Box' device, with plans to significantly move the console marketplace forward with what has been described as "the most powerful console ever built...".

SMS Mad Box 2.jpg

Although plans are in the infancy at this moment in time, Bell has stated that the new Mad Box console should be VR compatible from the off, with a proposed 90fps per eye, 180 FPS internally expected at the point of the consoles release - expected to be two or three years away at this stage.

Although much of the internal spec is still under consideration by Slightly Mad Studios, the overall design of the console has surfaced earlier today, as can be evidenced by the screenshots in this article, and Bell has been in very bullish mood during much of initial reveal discussions on social media - coming straight out of the blocks with some very impressive statements about the consoles capabilities once launched - easily putting the new Mad Box in the frame as a potential Xbox and PlayStation 4 beating piece of hardware.

Ian Bell Tweet 1.jpg
Ian Bell Tweet 2.jpg
Ian Bell Tweet 3.jpg

Of course it is still early days in the development of the new Mad Box, but if the initial plans for the console do come to fruition this will be a very impressive piece of kit indeed. One of the key features mentioned briefly by Ian is the desire to open up the game engine to developers, presumably allowing game developers to access the engine platform in which to develop new games. Furthermore, Bell has stated that this will be a free facility for developers, which should be a powerful incentive for game studios to create content that works well with the new console.

All in all this is certainly a surprise move from SMS, and one very interesting topic to keep an eye on in the coming months..

VR at 60 FPS and 4K and all that stuff is worthless without games to play. They really need a great collection of games for people to buy this, especially since with the high price (assumed, 60 FPS VR/4K-cabable hardware isn't cheap). Sounds very ambitious, and we have many failed examples of new consoles that sounds great on paper and with a ambitious developer...

Upvote 0
Oh God, what a joke. They failed twice with PCARS, now making a spiritual sequel that nobody asked for, and this? We gamers barely accept new game launchers/clients like Origin, Battlenet, GOG Galaxy, UPlay, Epic Launcher, Bethesda Launcher, and SMS wanna throw another game console? Look what happened to Steam Machines and Ouya console. This is Titanic bound to hit an iceberg and sink gloriously.

Upvote 0
I cant imagine this can possibly end well, they dont have nearly enough to rival Sony or Microsoft or get pc players off pc. For consoles the portable market is perhaps the only area with which another competitor could join. SMS are wasting a lot of money. The investors are out of their minds if they think it would be a good idea to back this.

Upvote 0
I cant imagine this can possibly end well, they dont have nearly enough to rival Sony or Microsoft or get pc players off pc. For consoles the portable market is perhaps the only area with which another competitor could join. SMS are wasting a lot of money. The investors are out of their minds if they think it would be a good idea to back this.
Exactly, worlds most powerful console to do what with lol, play Pcars 3 or 4 ? :D
this wont end well at all...

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 503495

He doesn't have a good track record but I will be watching how it develops and if it becomes reality, instead of lashing out unpleasantries. Bravado and hype can't compete without the hardware to carry the weight of his words in a world dominated by Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

The design is too much modern furniture centerpiece instead of a more functional, space-conscious item but much like Project CARS promised and marketed career mode, I would expect this to change a lot until it is a tangible item ready for manufacturing.

Upvote 0
LOL, thanks Paul, wasn't expecting that!

Surely Mr Bell has a friend to remind him to "never go full xx"...No? Well, I hope SMS finish another simulator before they become insolvent.

Mod Edit: Appreciate it isn't a direct insult, but please avoid use of inflammatory / disrespectful words.. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Personally I would rather RD stop putting up news about this waste of space called IB (irritable bowel)..far as I'm concerned he could create something special and earn millions from it, but I would rest in peace knowing I would of never spent another penny funding this bald twat. You have to earn respect to be given it, and the only thing I'd give him is a wig made of his own shite to go with the bad smell that surrounds him..Dam did I say that out allowed..ah well..

Hey gopher go crawl back down your hole and go easy on bald guys, Ian Bell is not the only bald man around!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Trust my good old friend @Gopher04 to really go to town, Mark has never been one to mince his words, but so true, although attacking bald people is a little harsh, but ignoring that.......

So Ian Bell and his Team cannot get not 1, not 2, not even 3 "sims" correct and they now want to build hardware to run their non working sims on......Oh my days

giphy.gif

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back