New Console Developer? Ian Bell Announces 'Mad Box'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
SMS Mad Box 1.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios Ian Bell has confirmed on Twitter that the developers behind Project CARS are working on a new and super powerful console.

Intending to pitch right into the fight for console supremacy with the likes of Microsoft and Sony, Bell has confirmed that SMS are working on the provisionally titled 'Mad Box' device, with plans to significantly move the console marketplace forward with what has been described as "the most powerful console ever built...".

SMS Mad Box 2.jpg

Although plans are in the infancy at this moment in time, Bell has stated that the new Mad Box console should be VR compatible from the off, with a proposed 90fps per eye, 180 FPS internally expected at the point of the consoles release - expected to be two or three years away at this stage.

Although much of the internal spec is still under consideration by Slightly Mad Studios, the overall design of the console has surfaced earlier today, as can be evidenced by the screenshots in this article, and Bell has been in very bullish mood during much of initial reveal discussions on social media - coming straight out of the blocks with some very impressive statements about the consoles capabilities once launched - easily putting the new Mad Box in the frame as a potential Xbox and PlayStation 4 beating piece of hardware.

Ian Bell Tweet 1.jpg
Ian Bell Tweet 2.jpg
Ian Bell Tweet 3.jpg

Of course it is still early days in the development of the new Mad Box, but if the initial plans for the console do come to fruition this will be a very impressive piece of kit indeed. One of the key features mentioned briefly by Ian is the desire to open up the game engine to developers, presumably allowing game developers to access the engine platform in which to develop new games. Furthermore, Bell has stated that this will be a free facility for developers, which should be a powerful incentive for game studios to create content that works well with the new console.

All in all this is certainly a surprise move from SMS, and one very interesting topic to keep an eye on in the coming months..

I think, I know what's the matter here...

Money. With the incomming "crash" for the videogameindustry they hope to sneak/step in and claim some licenses, if Sony, MS or Nintendo stop supporting consoles due to heavy losses due to bankrupt gamestudios.

We all know why games on the console are more expensive then for our beloved masterrace...
The consoles themselfes are a non-profit or at least even a loss, they generate the money through companys, which constantly pay for licences to bring the game on their console and sell it there. The other profit would be payed online-services like PS Plus. The console itself is mostly a little bit underpriced to make it a "good" alternative for casual gamers, who cannot effort a proper gaming-PC. Or, in other words:
For the 11-14 year old Fortnite-Fanboy. Easy to decept, and in general backed by any annoyed parent, who is willing to pay anything to keep their hyperactive brood as far away from the calm livingroom as possible. (No real offense intended, but proof me wrong in this point...)

And, if the likes of EA, Activision, Bethesda and so on keep making games & content for stockprices and not for gamers, this is a possibility not so far away from really happening.

I mean: Bankrupt gamestudios = no more licenses payed to sony, MS, etc. = losses for Sony, MS, etc. = probably abandoning their console-programs and / or focusing on the fast growing mobile-game-market.

I know, that would not be the only reason, but that may be the way they made their decision.

Upvote 0
So now, two days later, it's up from 60 fps to 90 fps, per eye. Okay.

It's borderline insulting listening to this guy babble on, promising the world. I think he's a little out of his league this time. If he takes his typical PCars, crap-talking bravado to the console space. MS and Sony will eat him alive. MS has used the loss profit strategy to crush competitors before. They can afford to price things lower than cost and run at a loss for years, just to drive the competition out of the market...LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Never gonna fly even if he gives them wings. It's a PC for goodness and that all consoles are these days! Heard of the steam machine and it's current status? From people who knows a thing or two in selling game titles.... Wow! He definitely got balls, but I don't like 'em.

Upvote 0
apparently the game and vr headset used won't matter then? he's guaranteeing 90 fps simply because of this "console"? this guys a retard

i also tweeted him asking what operating system it'll use as game compatibility will be nearly non existent without sony/xbox or windows operating systems, he didn't reply

I asked the same thing. Someone (not SMS) said they thought it would be a Steam machine. But, if that's true, then it's just a PC. A PC with a custom case that looks like it will make upgrades a pain in the arse.

If a Steam machine, then why would anyone pay a crap load more for it, instead of just building their own PC? Not to mention... If you're not into VR, then it's really just a very overpriced PC.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 6919

Personally I would rather RD stop putting up news about this waste of space called IB (irritable bowel)..far as I'm concerned he could create something special and earn millions from it, but I would rest in peace knowing I would of never spent another penny funding this xxxx You have to earn respect to be given it, and the only thing I'd give him is xxxx.Dam did I say that out allowed..ah well..

Mod Edit: Please refrain from personal insults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I asked the same thing. Someone (not SMS) said they thought it would be a Steam machine. But, if that's true, then it's just a PC. A PC with a custom case that looks like it will make upgrades a pain in the arse.

If a Steam machine, then why would anyone pay a crap load more for it, instead of just building their own PC? Not to mention... If you're not into VR, then it's really just a very overpriced PC.

doesn't the steam machine also use linux? so not much support from games

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back