MotoGP Champion Marquez to Get Red Bull F1 Test

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Marc Marquez F1 Test.jpg

Having won multiple World Champions at the top level in bike racing, Spanish star Marc Marquez is set to be handed an F1 chance in an upcoming private Red Bull F1 session.

Joining current MotoGP rivals Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo in that elusive club of riders who've been given an opportunity in modern Formula One machinery, Marquez looks to be joined by 2018 Honda MotoGP team mate Dani Pedrosa and multiple Motocross world champion Tony Cairoli in a private Red Bull organised test session at the Red Bull owned Red Bull Ring circuit in Austria this June.

Seen as very much a promotional activity rather than a genuine opportunity to asses if Marquez has what it takes to make the switch over to car racing, it is nevertheless an interesting sign of increasing solidarity between Red Bull and 2018 Toro Rosso engine partner Honda, yet more evidence that the two brands could well be looking at teaming up in Formula One in the very near future.

According to Autosport, both Spanish riders and Motocross legend Cairoli are expected to head to Milton Keynes in the coming days for a seat fitting with the team, ahead of a potential June 5 - 6 test session in Austria.

Check the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for more news and discussion as it happens. Get yourself involved today and join in with the community!

Interested to see how Marquez, Pedrosa and Cairoli get on in an F1 car? Can a modern bike rider make it in Formula One, in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
it will be a very fun day for him:D:D but a 2017 car could be better than those older f1 cars(it seems it's 2013 car).. at least we could see how good is he doing in a more relevant car ....

wombat999

Premium
Even though this is just another PR exercise I'd expect Marquez to do very well.
Both Rossi and Lorenzo have shown quite a bit of speed previously, and way back when John Surtees was World Champion for Ferrari while Mike Hailwood demonstrated his four wheel talent.
I doubt Marc would be that enthusiastic about leaving MotoGP for EffWun, but he's young and bloody fast.
Last weekend's French MotoGP win underlined his ability to think through a plan of action and execute it to perfection.
Me, I'd rather he stayed in MotoGP.
;)

Just don't let him race it, he'll most likely ram it into someone ;)

Only if he comes up to someone mid-corner as slow as Rossi...

Sorry, Marquez is close to one of my all-time favorite racing people (undisputed favorite currently). I know it gets boring if you're a fan of anyone else, but at least in MotoGP he has to work for his wins (unlike the Schumie-era F1 of the 00's).

I'd love for him to impress, but I don't want him leaving bikes either.

Sorry, Marquez is close to one of my all-time favorite racing people (undisputed favorite currently). I know it gets boring if you're a fan of anyone else, but at least in MotoGP he has to work for his wins (unlike the Schumie-era F1 of the 00's).

He won't leave bikes it's just a PR thing.

Well if Rossi wasn't there he would have landed in the gravel...

I do agree he's talented, but I don't like his over agressive style at times, he has enough skill and talent to win races the clean way, so he should show that and I won't say a thing :thumbsup:

Also is it really necessary to insult the old man Valentino? He already proved many times his skill and balls and most importantly the sense of humour, he deserves some respect.

Pff, Rossi at that time was fast in a way that Ferrari have proposed him to sit in that F1 for the championship..For Lorenzo and now Marquez is merely a sponsorship gift.. Leave your riders preferences out, this is the reality.

Last edited:

Sorry but your words are ridicolous.. Rossi slow??? In this last race has ride on the finish line with 18 seconds of advantage over Vinales!! Please stop trolling, Marquez is your idol??? It's okay, but please don't write these ridicolous words.. Plus Yamaha is slow as f.. K and Honda is the best and most faster bike right now.. Marquez is simply one of the best rider that sit in "THE BEST BIKE".

PsyaNyde

@Simberia
Well, Spain and France were both good examples of clean racing.

I just don't get these Rossi vs Márquez arguments. They're two of the best riders MotoGP/500cc has ever had, and it's impossible to tell who's the best, at least not objectively. Just enjoy the racing and leave those pointless discussions to FB and YouTube users.
it's not impossible, Marquez is extremely talented, but Rossi is a god :D

For me these MotoGP guys have the biggest balls in motorsport on the planet, to ride at 320+kph on a 800cc purpose built racing bike with nothing but a helmet and a set of leathers for protection shows great guts and talent, regardless if your Rossi, Marquez or one of the riders at the back of the field.

I hope Marquez enjoys his outing in an F1 car, what a buzz, but I doubt very much he will leave MotoGP, even Rossi after his test drive stuck to the bike, although he has ventured into some rally driving in the past. It will be interesting to see how MotoGP goes as far as crowds are concerned when Rossi does retire, as many go just to see and support Rossi, the guy is a living legend after all.

For me these MotoGP guys have the biggest balls in motorsport on the planet, to ride at 320+kph on a 800cc purpose built racing bike with nothing but a helmet and a set of leathers for protection shows great guts and talent, regardless if your Rossi, Marquez or one of the riders at the back of the field.

I hope Marquez enjoys his outing in an F1 car, what a buzz, but I doubt very much he will leave MotoGP, even Rossi after his test drive stuck to the bike, although he has ventured into some rally driving in the past. It will be interesting to see how MotoGP goes as far as crowds are concerned when Rossi does retire, as many go just to see and support Rossi, the guy is a living legend after all.
Yes these guys have ball of steel and riders of TT have titanium ball.. Aniway motogp bikes are no longer 800cc., are 1000 right now(-: aniway Rossi drive a Wrc cars every years at Monza Rally and have win over various rally champions in these years.. I think that Rossi fans are at least at 70 % on every damn track.. So when Rossi retire, the loss is surely big.. Aniway I respect every guy that as a idol.. Marquez, Lorenzo, Rossi ecc. But I hate when I read comments like "Rossi is slow" "Rossi should retire" ecc. These type of comments reflects perfectly the inexperience of these guys that write it.. Sorry this last word is not for you but for others (-:

I don't think the connection is Honda and Redbull per se, Redbull is a major sponsor of both Dani and Marc and I believe a sponsorship partner of the HRC MGP team.

While I agree Marc's a very talented lad, Rossi is not slow...the bike is slow. Also Rossi is pushing FORTY for gawds sake! I doubt Marc will be as fast as Rossi is now when Marc is in his late 30's...everything about Marc is reactions, and they diminish with age. He has added a little bit of maturity but Argentina shocked me a bit with the backward step he made in that area. His greatest skill is that uncanny ability to push the envelope and not crash (and even save an odds on crash, how many times has he done that...phenomenal!). But all he's done is a "Doohan"...don't get me wrong I loved Doohan (preferred Schwantz though!) and Rainey before that. But Rossi is special because he's won over the most "technical" changes, including the biggest one from GP500s to MGP. He's the last winner of the GP500s (albeit not quite the monsters they were by that point), he changed teams and continued to win, he's seen off much younger opposition. Rossi is the GOAT.

Now all we need is for the other riders to stop gifting it to Marc and we can have a fun championship.

Last edited:
Sorry but your words are ridicolous.. Rossi slow??? In this last race has ride on the finish line with 18 seconds of advantage over Vinales!! Please stop trolling, Marquez is your idol??? It's okay, but please don't write these ridicolous words.. Plus Yamaha is slow as f.. K and Honda is the best and most faster bike right now.. Marquez is simply one of the best rider that sit in "THE BEST BIKE".

I'm a huge Rossi fan but you can't say Marc is on the best bike, the last 2 championship he's won that Honda was a DOG! When he's on the best bike as well he's pretty much unbeatable (sadly for the Championship).

I'm a huge Rossi fan but you can't say Marc is on the best bike, the last 2 championship he's won that Honda was a DOG! When he's on the best bike as well he's pretty much unbeatable (sadly for the Championship).
Is on the best bike right now, this year(-:
Aniway past year Honda have made a bike that have been not the best or the fastest but surely not bad like Yamaha in this last 2 years.

Is on the best bike right now, this year(-:
Aniway past year Honda have made a bike that have been not the best or the fastest but surely not bad like Yamaha in this last 2 years.

I see what you mean, I'm praying it's not another 2014. I also wish Marc would change teams. I'm 100% certain his style would work on the Ducati....that thing needs to be manhandled and not caressed around a track. But Marc is the Repsol/Spain/Dorna golden boy and will end his career at Honda/Repsol.

What I don't fully understand about Yamaha is the gap between Zarco and Rossi/Vinales. I don't think the bike in itself is bad, it's the bike/tyre combination and the fact that I don't think Rossi or Vinales can get a combo that works for them and their riding styles. I'm not a huge fan of the way tyre tech is going, the operating window is too narrow with a too severe drop off of grip IMO. If you're outside that window then you just can't go fast. A broader window with a less severe grip drop off would go a long way to allow people to display their speed better. But right now it's suiting Marc and Dorna will not change things for that reason alone. (sorry but I'm cynical about Dorna and spanish dominance in the championships)

Italians are comming !
Not sure if you watch all races (like I do:geek:) lower categories too but that's for sure... Italians are do comming (back). Which is also connected with that... GOAT. And his racing academy/ranch.
Standings: Moto3 - Italians are 1st, 2nd and 5th, Moto2 - they on 1st, 4th and 5th place and in MotoGP also not so bad - they on 4th and 5th place. Not too shabby huh ? :)
Regarding Rossi/Marquez/Dovi/Rabat saga....
I have my reasons, they wouldn't mean much to you now but my favorites are, more-less in this order - Vinales, Crutchlow, Rins, Pedrosa, Zarco, Nakagami...

And I think it's great not to rooting for only one driver cause you often end up disappointed.
I knew it from the first hand. All those years I bite my nails chering for J. Villeneuve dear God... Pretty much like Vinales now it was like...
"oh damn, he was 11 on grid. *hit. another bad start possition. no, wait, after start he's as low as 15!?? how the hell did he manage that, he's the only one to lose 4 possition! oh for * sake:devilish: me and my favorite drivers!"
It never changes... years gone by but my frustration stays the same. Sadly. My dad was smarter, years of experience I guess, he was like "Schumacher is my favorite! And Ferrari!":rolleyes: and those were the Schummy/Ferrari years, needless to say. Oh dad I should have been more like you. I see it now, clearly... :unsure:

Italians are comming !
Not sure if you watch all races (like I do:geek:) lower categories too but that's for sure... Italians are do comming (back). Which is also connected with that... GOAT. And his racing academy/ranch.
Standings: Moto3 - Italians are 1st, 2nd and 5th, Moto2 - they on 1st, 4th and 5th place and in MotoGP also not so bad - they on 4th and 5th place. Not too shabby huh ? :)
Absolutely. Italians are coming back really strong. Anyway, from the lower categories, I have my eyes on Mir (he's learning too fast), Oliveira and Brad Binder. Sadly, all the top riders in Moto3 this year are not really consistent. I got used to seeing a rider being dominant the whole season (Binder in 2016 and Mir in 2017) and I was expecting Canet to be the next one, but he's not learned anything from previous seasons.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 116 27.8%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 68 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 41 9.8%
  • €3001-5000