DiRT Rally 2.0 More DiRT Rally 2.0 Details Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Following the surprise announcement of DiRT Rally 2.0, Codemasters have been quick out of the blocks with a brand new screenshot reveal and DR 2.0 Roadbook post!

Although not able to reveal much thanks to an embargo in place until Monday October 1st, Codemasters have still confirmed that many of the 2018 World Rallycross tracks will be available within the title right from the off, with no less than eight locations coming as default content and more set to follow as DLC post launch.

Of the World Rallycross content we know of, Catalunya, Montalegre, Mettet, Silverstone, Hell, Holjes, Trois-Rivieres and Loheac will be included from launch on September 26th. Representing the first eight rounds of the 2018 WRX season, Codemasters have promised more events will be coming to the game at a later stage. Presumably the four remaining events at Riga, COTA, Estering and Cape Town will be up for grabs as DLC, however more details should be announced on the build up to public release next February.

Also confirmed in the roadbook today are some of the more traditional point to point rally locations, with New Zealand, Argentina, Poland, Spain, USA, and Australia all set to make an appearance.

DiRT Rally 2.0 2.jpg
DiRT Rally 2.0 1.jpg

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Call me biased, but why the sudden shift to move all their Dirt related titles away from the Finnish stages :cry:

The nice thing about Finnish stages from memory, was a more realistic flow to them. They just appeared to mimic real life stages, unlike other countries managed to do. Don't worry they won't have junked the assets! In the PR stuff for DiRT Rally 3.0, it'll be back on the list as a fan-favourite lol. As DLC!

:)

If DR2 is way more realistic, more challenging with assists off, has triple the amount of rally stage driving, then all those things would compensate Finland, just about. I only say that because at least it would be pushing the Rally genre. I know some would wish to drive DR1 stages in DR2. I'd much rather see the dev time given to new stages, much longer in nature, that can then have a more realistic flow.

From a country and stage point of view - it'd make sense for Codemasters to have developed their internal stage creation tool to be much more variable and realistic than it was. Let the engine generate more realistic stages with a greater degree of variety (corner angles, camber, arching, pot holes etc). Then, enter each built stage and manipulate the data and add hazards by hand and build replay cameras manually. The dev of stages would take less time and save money. We'd all then get a Rally game more based on a realistic flow etc.

It'll be interesting to see about the new upgrades/tech within the engine. So that we can all decide whether we'll bother or not. For me, it's not a given that - just because Codemasters believe they've done their best work, that this will translate to me sinking £65 into it. At £65 I'm looking at really specific criteria to be met. I'd want to see 3 times the rally stage distance compared to DR for starters. I'm unconvinced Codemasters want to bring such enhancements.

If many of you are sat on the fence, or even kind of think you "prob won't" buy DR2 at present, I'd like to know what "must-haves" you'd need - before you parting with £65/$65 etc.

Their lack of interest in VR support from the start means my interest has lacked completely, whenever a Dev says they "may" look into it in the future that pretty much means it'll never come.

VR should ideally be included from the start and not bolted on in a cheap form thereafter, strange when Dirt Rally 1 was/is so good in VR I would've thought it'd be a no brainer especially with a company as large as theirs.

Do your homework Codies, No Buy for me.

Glad to see more RX content added to this title!

It has spurred my attention even more but the physics, ffb and track tech will have to be greatly improved.

I was really hoping SMS was gonna release some info on there next title during the sim expo but nothing came. I would love to hear/see them get a rally/rx license

We all know that competition is great for our genre. I liked the Mercedes Ice Track in Rally/RX cars in PC2, compared to snow stages in DiRT. I'd like to see the physics greatly improved too, but I'm unsure it'll get that full attention regardless.

Personally, I'd prefer RX split apart from DiRT Rally. A huge part of that £65 Steam price is being dictated by Official RX support. The issue is that not all of us love RX enough to keep going back to it over time. So for people in that bracket, Rallying is the sole reason we buy DR. If you prefer Rally for the one car on a narrow stage action, paying for content you know you will not use is not ideal.

As some have suggested, Codemasters already know that huge numbers aren't using RX content in DiRT Rally already. I get why Codemasters bundle RX into DR, as a stand alone platform it would need to be very expensive to provide a good enough return on their investment. But forcing people who won't use it this time around to spend the full purchase price, on an uneven Rallying experience isn't ideal either.

SMS and Kunos would be awesome people to bring Rallying into platforms that would do it justice. I'd happily buy an independent Rally title from SMS. I'd happily throw money at Kunos to see them develop their engine enough to add mixed surface Rally stages to something like AC2, even if that was via Rally DLC to expand it away from the std tarmac experience of old.

It may happen. I hope it does. If, or when it does, it will make the genre a better place.

Surely, if Codemasters split RX and DR apart, they could build three franchises moving forwards. DR, DiRT X, and RX. They'd then cater more accurately, to what fans of each discipline actually want.

Win win

I dont own VR but what are the developers thinking when making these types of games where being immersed is part of the thing? VR is also the new hip thing for pete's sake!

Hey, im crying because barely anyone cares about us with triple monitors. Game after game where triples would be super and yet no developer is thinking about an option that corrects the angle/FOV/bezel over 3 monitors (and those guys often work with 2 or 3 monitors while making the damn games, LOL!). :D

Oh well. I know we triple screeners wont get that in Dirt Rally 2 either, so... Stretched image here we go! (Again and again and again...).

Developers: please think of us a little more, please. :barefoot:

SMS and Kunos would be awesome people to bring Rallying into platforms that would do it justice. I'd happily buy an independent Rally title from SMS. I'd happily throw money at Kunos to see them develop their engine enough to add mixed surface Rally stages to something like AC2, even if that was via Rally DLC to expand it away from the std tarmac experience of old.

I find pCars2 RX already much better than DR's one, a whole rally sim with all the livetrack features would be something VERY interesting, and could also help SMS get out of all the simcade fame.

Every stage in DiRT Rally was copied from real life ? :O_o:
Didn't knew that tbh.
Thanks. Better late than never. :D

Yup. Sweet Lamb, and Ouninpohja are famous, same with the German hincklestein-areas. The Monte Carlo stage was the awesome Turini, frustatingly not a single stage-version let us drive up and down though. The Greek one was real as well (though, not as well known), while the Swedish one, with Colins Crest was well known.
I actually drove parts of that stage to get to the stage and spectate the 2018 version of the Swedish Rally. You know the wide wide hairpin with some houses in one of the Swedish stages? :)

Though, Codemasters were "adviced" to not use real WRC stages in games in the future.

I find pCars2 RX already much better than DR's one, a whole rally sim with all the livetrack features would be something VERY interesting, and could also help SMS get out of all the simcade fame.

It'd be interesting for the genre! Many of us decided to back PCars and AC because everyone else wasn't exactly setting the racing genre alight. Tbh, I wish RF2 would add rally cars and stages via DLC.

At least with Rallying, SMS could spend extra time adding more Rally related data/improvements to the physics engine. If they created a title to compete with the likes of DR, at least they also aren't paying for an official series - so dev costs are lower.

A title challenging DiRT Rally, would make it hard for me to justify buying it again. Simply because whilst ever I'm being charged for RX, and not using it, it's something that's far from ideal.

SMS also put some lovely cars in PCars2 as well, so I feel SMS would handle a new Rally project well. They have great history with manufacturers, which helps too!! I think we need to approach SMS !!! No time like the present !!

One thing I always thought odd, was why Codemasters didn't build a base game - and add content to it over time via DLC. We would buy the base game, and DLC moving forwards. On PC, what that would mean - is something like a modern version of RBR. The advantage is, the engine could be upgraded over the years as required. Plus, they'd spend most of their time making quality tracks to generate revenue.

Many of you don't understand why Codemasters didn't update and add to DR in this way too.

For me Codemasters haven't done Rallying justice, much like I feel they've not pushed F1 with every release either.

We need more rallying in our lives lol. I don't really mind who brings a quality product to market!

SMS also put some lovely cars in PCars2 as well, so I feel SMS would handle a new Rally project well. They have great history with manufacturers, which helps too!! I think we need to approach SMS !!! No time like the present !!

One thing I always thought odd, was why Codemasters didn't build a base game - and add content to it over time via DLC. We would buy the base game, and DLC moving forwards. On PC, what that would mean - is something like a modern version of RBR. The advantage is, the engine could be upgraded over the years as required. Plus, they'd spend most of their time making quality tracks to generate revenue.

Many of you don't understand why Codemasters didn't update and add to DR in this way too.

No need to approach SMS about it. Rumours has it that you might get your wish.

I think it is because Codemasters haven't really been a big DLC-company yet, I guess again it's down to shareholders and board not thinking this is a good way to get money. Times are slightly changing, and I guess there might be more DLC's if it's a success.

So... any random gravel road in Finland is FIA-copyrighted now?

Something something WRC, something something FIA, something something keeping good relations.
No WRC-stages, no modern WRC cars. The stages themselves aren't FIA-copyrighted, but I guess it's a better approach to try to keep as good as a relationship as possible with the FIA. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to get the WRC license cheaper in the future.

Then again, 3 yearly games from Codemasters would certainly not push the limits at all when it comes to gameplay. (WRX, WRC and F1).

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.