Cars Mercedes-Benz W125 1937 W.I.P.

I wonder if anybody would like to share this project with me, and help with suspension animations. I feel complete lack of confidence with animations. In other words I'm retard at animations. I guess doing animations with Blender would be the way, I doubt it would be easy to make it work with 3Dds Max, because model is being done with Blender.

I need help.

Is there a way in blender to apply mirroring, but still to have modifications applied ? IIRIC @AccAkut talked about something like that somewhere.

Otherwise it will take some time till I'll even start on doing anims, it will be hard and it will take some time as I said. Probably gonna fail a lot, pull a lot of hair out of may head anyway lol :(

I'm a bit puzzled...

Is animating done for each side, or is it being mirrored somehow ?

Maybe I don't even need to apply mirroring for animating, and do mirrored animation, if such thing is doable ?

Here is how front suspension looks at the moment, still quite early form, but it gets difficult from here, I might fix/add few things later. There is not much references... I have no idea what I've done with a spring, but I think it is in the right direction :D

2rvzINK.jpg

x7uvjrU.jpg

7XWxdKz.png

Hmm, I wonder if it is not going to cause many problems if I'll decide to remove mesh out of the empties, and then mirror it again, separate again, and parent it again. Maybe shouldn't be too bad with correct management of object origins.

Can animated empties be mirrored, and then separated ? Or I'll have to animate all 4 corners separately ? :)

Probably not much help, but in 3DS I couldn't get empties to animate properly after being mirrored - the position of the empty was mirrored but the animation wasn't.

I ended up just making two copies of each empty (left and right) and animating them in tandem. Then its just a case of collapsing the symmetry modifier on the mesh, and assign the relevent side to the correct empties. Its easy enough to edit the animation without the mesh, and vice versa.

Hmm, I wonder if it is not going to cause many problems if I'll decide to remove mesh out of the empties, and then mirror it again, separate again, and parent it again. Maybe shouldn't be too bad with correct management of object origins.

Can animated empties be mirrored, and then separated ? Or I'll have to animate all 4 corners separately ? :)
as long as the Empty chain of parenting stays the same, no problems should occure. But mirroring of Empties, don't even know if that works at all. Because AC wants its specific orientation of the base Empties (which is not mirrored!) I always place those manually.

Your model looks really great, did you find in depth information on that suspension? I'm still contemplating doing the Auto Union Awtowelo next

Thanks, I should step my first steps into functioning suspension world soon. Can't wait to get it, as soon as it is there, the car shouldn't take very long for its first release, well... if other team member will agree :D

Thanks :) it is not too hard to model, also the fact that there are several W125's, and they are all slightly different look, sets some freedom in some curves. It has its difficulties, like mechanical parts, vents on the hood...

There is not much reference or info for suspension data, there are some photos which shows how suspension looks (I'd like more angles though), there are blueprints for front and rear suspensions, but only 2axis, no top view. There are some bits... I and Aphidgod have a little book, there are some info and hints about suspension. We'll see how it will turn out to be.

I think Auto Union Awtowelo would be interesting choice to mod, it is not very known car, but I guess it must have been awesome to drive.

Wow, you are basically neighbours :D

Convince them to give all the data, so they could use simrig with AC next to the car and attract a lot more visitors :D

I should suggest Jaguar heritage to do that with XJ13 :D I hope it is not too confident haha

No news. I'm not good at being silent (unless I must), so no news :D

I have to choose how to spend my free time, it is either modeling, racing in AC or something else. Recently all those Porsche Packs were slowing this mod a lot. Sorry :D Also "something else" has been a lot of stuff.

But it is not on hold, progressing ;) hopefully the official content contentsplosion can fill the voids for some time :D

No news. I'm not good at being silent (unless I must), so no news :D

I have to choose how to spend my free time, it is either modeling, racing in AC or something else. Recently all those Porsche Packs were slowing this mod a lot. Sorry :D Also "something else" has been a lot of stuff.

But it is not on hold, progressing ;) hopefully the official content contentsplosion can fill the voids for some time :D
you aren't the only one holding back a project ;) understood. Thanks for the quick heads up :D

I have some ideas about continuing work on this car, recently been enjoying driving it quite a lot. I think physics are satisfying. Not a drift missile, rather pointy, but difficult to put the power down. Maybe too fuel and tire efficient at the moment, I believe that the reason why in footage the rarely are sliding with this car is mainly that they were saving tires, which lasted them about 20-30 minutes till they were totally undrivable, and maybe because it was scary to die.

Suspension animations are holding me back, I feel not committed to doing them. I still have to do a bit of modeling on suspension elements though.

Another thing is sound. How on earth I would fin someone to make a sound if even A3DR is using Kunos sounds. Would really need proper loud sound, which would make people complain in reviews, because they would be scared to put the throttle down, as the engine would roar at them like a lion, or burst like a thunder.

42:30

2:43

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back