AC Kunos GT3 @ Road America - Mon 15 July 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Great race ..my front tires were in the red for the last two laps, but thankfully I managed to finish.

Congrads to the podiums :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: and many congrads to all the drivers that finished :thumbsup:

Something different next, we are going to race a mod car, ..joel has you covered on Sunday with GT3 ..hope to see you all next week :thumbsup:

Ok, I suppose this is my last race on RaceDepartment, al least for a while.
This was the very replica of my previous race: wandering alone in the last place, with all people gaining seconds per lap and getting far and far away from me. I cannot get any fun from this.
I was with almost default setup, but when you are 3 seconds slower than the guy in front of you in qualifying, the problem is not the setup, but the driver.
I really, really don't understand guys: I'm NOT a noob, I've been in simracing for more than 10 years, I also had some races on RD one or two years ago, and I remember those races as fun races, staying more or less in the middle of the pack and having some fun with others.
I'm really saddened, because I like RD so much, I like these races, I like the fair and clean behaviour of drivers on track, I like the friendly environment of the forums, but I can't really have fun this way.

Thanks for putting on tonight's event @Craig Dunkley , you and @JoelK are spoiling us with great events :D:thumbsup:

As for the race, most embarrassing:redface:... I was thinking as though it was a 60 minute race for some daft reason (even though I knew it was 40 mins), so planned a pit stop half way, ffs:mad: Must get some better pills:whistling:

This was the very replica of my previous race: wandering alone in the last place, with all people gaining seconds per lap and getting far and far away from me. I cannot get any fun from this.
I was with almost default setup, but when you are 3 seconds slower than the guy in front of you in qualifying, the problem is not the setup, but the driver.
I really, really don't understand guys: I'm NOT a noob, I've been in simracing for more than 10 years, I also had some races on RD one or two years ago, and I remember those races as fun races, staying more or less in the middle of the pack and having some fun with others.
I'm really saddened, because I like RD so much, I like these races, I like the fair and clean behaviour of drivers on track, I like the friendly environment of the forums, but I can't really have fun this way.
Hey mate, really sorry to hear that :notworthy: You can always ask for advice in TS and in the threads, for setups, driving techniques etc. Especially in terms of setups there is usually always someone who can provide one or you can always ask me in a pm or a thread message and I'll try n' come up with something. I have setup database from a year ago or so which has a bunch of setups for different GT3 cars and tracks, so if you want access to it, i'll give it to ya:thumbsup:

First must say a thankyou to patrick i just could not give up my place with just one lap to go without a
fight, turned into two laps, i was going to say my lucky spell has come to an end, but i was very lucky
to keep the place i was in, in the end. ( hope i did not pee you off to much with my driving ) ( probably equivalent to overtaking a bus with a drunk driver ):geek:
It was really difficult to go at Patrick pace, in the hope of keeping him at bay. i was all over the place
most of the time, struggling with my usual braking points. All tyres in the red.:mad:
Apparently if i heard it correctly on TS Joelk had no such problems.?
Had a great tussel with @Spilskinanka, but i eventually could not keep up and fell back in to the
grasps of Patrick.
@Medilloni , you were gone up the road, but suddenly disappeared, did you finish?? Ah just read your
comment.:confused:
Thanks for another great event @Craig Dunkley.:) had a great time.:)

Are you positive your wheel/pedals are working properly Giovanni? I ask 'cos some time ago I spent a few races not realising my throttle pedal wasn't giving full throttle. (Logitech G920 at the time).

I was behind you at one point, and even though I was 5kph down on most others, I was catching you on the straight really easily (like you were a good 10kph less than me), but then you weren't slow in the corners.

If you'd like to meet up on a practice server I'm sure many here would be happy to help, myself included, just shout:)

I am sorry to hear that, Giovanni. I can understand it because I had the same experience when I started. But I kept going as I managed to become better in small steps. Guys like @Medilloni and @Spilskinanka were two or three seconds faster, but now I am getting closer to their pace. And there's so much to learn. Did you see the lap times of Archie and Aki? All in the 2.04. Just not from this world!!! Maybe they can provide you with a replay. It will help you to improve. Not with four seconds at once but progress in small steps can be very rewarding. So have another go. Maybe we can practice together for the next race. It will be a mod car so I have to master it also.

Last edited:
I'd be more than happy to chat and try stuff out on one of the practice servers if you fancied it?

I'm not very good at setting cars up but I can normally get something drivable.

There is thankfully a fair amount of fast people here to learn from. I'm glad I started off on RD about 9 months ago. Much better than pub servers and other make shift racing. The help and openness from the guys has been critical in coming upto speed and learning my way around the game. Still a ton to learn (WTF does a damper do!?) but this is a good crew to learn it from so hope you stick around and take up the offer of assistance. Happy to help where I can as well.

@Giovanni Chiarotto as you can see my friend, the AC racing club is full of guys that will help you ..sometimes you have ask.

I do not think you will find anything any better out there, the more races you enter, the quicker you will become ...some of the lap times tonight were insane I agree, but we need those drivers in our club, because we try to learn from them, they are the drivers that keep us going, seeing what can be achieved, they drive us all forwards. 99% of the fast drivers are very approachable :thumbsup: just stay around and get to know them :thumbsup:

I hope you have second thoughts and stay with us :thumbsup:

Thanks to staff for organising yet another wicked race. Such an awesome combo, I really enjoyed it. Very friendly, clean and fast, it’s a pleasure to race with you all and I look forward to the next time I race with RD.

The Nissans behind me were not easy to pull away from, especially with the straight line speed that car has. They kept me on my feet for the majority of that race. My soft tyres lasted quite well until probably 8 minutes to go and my rear left was in the red zone. I was struggling on the exits of some particular corners but was happy to keep it on track and bring it home. Well done to the other podium finishers and well done to everyone else in the race.

Giovanni, I am sorry to hear about your troubles, I promise you it will get better and your lap times will improve. As John said above, maybe check the calibration of your throttle pedal. That’s worth a chunk of time on the straights if your throttle input isnt 100%. Also if you have the replay of the race saved then maybe it’s worth re-watching some of it and review how other drivers take their lines, what gear they’re in for certain corners etc and try to replicate it to see if it’ll help improve your time. YouTube will have some videos of some hotlaps/set up guides etc.

Another thing, and probably the most effective solution, is to just simply practise. I know its been said so many times but it really will help. Offline races, hotlap mode, (some) public races, private servers... just anything.

For example, I was never that quick with the 650s. I took part in a league a few months ago with the McLaren, 1 race every Sunday for 10 weeks, the races lasted 90 minutes. I went on track each week and put in hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of laps, fixed a set up that suits my driving style and stuck to it ever since.

Unfortunately the pace won’t arrive at your feet in the next corner, it has to be earned through hard work and patience. But I have faith in you ;)

Anyway story time over... good racing everyone. See you all soon, take care:thumbsup:

Hi guys, thank you for your kind words!:thumbsup:
Sorry for my whining post of yesterday but I was really down, geez I felt like I was trying simracing for the first time!:roflmao:

I watched a 2.02 lap at Road America by a certain Chris Down, and I noticed how he uses less steering wheel than me: past the apex, his steering wheel is almost straight and he takes the car out of the corner just playing with the throttle. I suppose this is the way to go.
Conversely, yesterday I was using a lot of steering (the car was definitely understeering).

Another thought I did is about spoiler setting. I suspect I had too much rear aileron, which had two consequences: slowing me down on straights, and make the car understeering, thus relating with my previous point.
My rear aileron was at 9, how about you guys?

Lastly, tyre temperatures. I was driving on medium, pressures where already at mimimum, but temperatures were always in the blue range. Only after that never-ending right turn, my front left was hot, actually it was always in the red range ( I suspect this is another signal of an understeering car).
I suspect this difficulty to warm tyres was also due to low track temperature (23°C), but it may also mean I was not using all the grip of the car.

I'm planning to do some testing tonight:cool:

I watched a 2.02 lap at Road America by a certain Chris Down, and I noticed how he uses less steering wheel than me: past the apex, his steering wheel is almost straight and he takes the car out of the corner just playing with the throttle. I suppose this is the way to go.
Conversely, yesterday I was using a lot of steering (the car was definitely understeering).

Understeer can also be caused by having too much mid corner speed so there's no perfect answer. Just need to feel what's happening in the car when you're driving and make the adjustments necessary. What he's doing is getting the car rotated and pointed down the track so he can maximize his exit. He's getting the car slowed down enough and turned that he can open his hands and get aggressive with the throttle without running out of track or oversteering.

Another thought I did is about spoiler setting. I suspect I had too much rear aileron, which had two consequences: slowing me down on straights, and make the car understeering, thus relating with my previous point.

Pick the car you want and look on youtube for some fast lap videos where they uploaded the setup or download an app called setup market from here. There's no right answer and can vary car to car and driving styles. Make sure the setup you download is for the latest version of the game.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/the-setup-market.10149/

Lastly, tyre temperatures. I was driving on medium, pressures where already at mimimum, but temperatures were always in the blue range. Only after that never-ending right turn, my front left was hot, actually it was always in the red range ( I suspect this is another signal of an understeering car).
I suspect this difficulty to warm tyres was also due to low track temperature (23°C), but it may also mean I was not using all the grip of the car.

Download an app on here called "protyres" It'll tell you how much tire pressure you need to adjust per tire to be in the optimum range.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/protyres.14030/

Maybe start off with the Z4 GT3. That's a really nicely balanced car even in stock trim and works well on any track.

Hi guys, thank you for your kind words!:thumbsup:
Sorry for my whining post of yesterday but I was really down, geez I felt like I was trying simracing for the first time!:roflmao:

Dont forget to check your accelerator pedal as someone suggested too. I had an issue last week in RF2 where my car felt slow. Realised it was only going to 90% throttle until I reconfigured it in the driver software.

It's heartwarming to see that all you guys are willing to help Giovanni to "stay in business":thumbsup:. Proud to be part of this community! :)

Last edited:

Hi there.
I had the same feeling 2 weeks ago. After a Sunday race, I just sign-out from the Monday one. I was down. Beeing always last, beeing lapped by almost everyone ... it is a bad experience. I just took my time to do something else and the next Sunday I took the same car and raced much better. For the first time since I race on RD (6 months), I was actually chasing somebody and I had a chance to overtake and defend and to have something to fight for.

I took a small pause and then I was better and more focused. The car just clicked. What I see is that the more you drive a car, the faster you will go. I drove the Lambo for 2600km (for me this is the most, for others might be the less used car) and I have a somewhat feeling about how to drive it. Maybe when I have 10 000km I should say I understand it.

I struggled like you, and I still do in the race, even if the quali times seem to be in the middle of the pack, my race pace si nowhere. So I have to work at that race by race. Most of the guys play this game since the launch, I barely have 6 months, so I need to have some patience and maybe the good battles will come :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back