AC Kunos GT3 @ Road America - Mon 15 July 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Personally, I choose the Nissan, but there isn't a particular reason, I just like the V6 sound, so I'm sticking with this car for all GT3 races. I use the same car for all GT3 races so I can improve my setup-making ability , eliminating the variable "new car" from the process.

@Kek700: do you drive the Nissan with TC? I lowered differential power setting to minimum (10 %), but she's still a little bit nervous on slow corner exit, most of the time I can keep control, but sometimes not. Enabling TC eliminates the problem, but probably you could be faster without it. Also, am I wrong or these cars are driven in real life with TC on?
Yes, TC and ABS. I use the lowest setting for ABS and usually around 5 TC with the Lambo

The GT3 cars are designed with TC from the ground up. It's not a safety add on like on most passenger cars. The TC is used to extend the tire life also which is more important than 1 lap pace in the longer stint races where most of the GT3 cars live their lives.

Most high end sports cars now, ZR1, GT3/RS, McLarens, mid engine Ferrari's and so on are also now starting to be built this way as well. As a performance first feature and not a safety first feature as in the past. Such sophisticated systems are what's allowing the HP wars in the sports car market. Some systems you can't even fully disable. The 650s' system is intrusive even with in "off" mode if you can remember the ritual needed to disable it in the first place.

The first I experienced this was on a Camaro ZL1 1LE which uses a system called PTM (performance traction management). I was going around on/off ramps in my buddy's cars and able to pin the throttle mid corner in 2nd and 3rd gears. With 650hp/650tq, that would be an easy spin. Instead, the car decided how much throttle to open up as I opened up the wheel. The limitation was of course that it made the care more of a point and shoot experience. It also limited the adjustability you had to rotate or tuck in the car with the throttle without PTM. However, there aren't many ways to get people comfortable driving 600hp+ cars without wadding them up.

I'm finding this track difficult to get to grips with, it really tests how good you are on the brakes and I'm not so strong at that. @r!ver_cz seems to be doing much better in the 911 than me this week, so good luck to him :thumbsup:

I must say @Spilskinanka , that last week I felt so much more confidence in the car then this time. I just made a lot of driving mistakes, but the car was super stable in Atlanta. I didn’t know why, but I figured it out. It is the downforce.

In Atlanta I had 2 at front and 13 at the rear. But with that aero in America the car is too slow. The lowest driveable is 0 front 10 back. But then the rear end, especially in braking zone, is a bastard. Only slight braking force with some steer angle and the back end goes sideways. What helps to counter that is soft back (not great for drifting though) and brake balance more to the front, I have 69% right now. It doesn’t brake so well after that, but the car is stable and you can heat up fronts a bit at least.

Generally I must say the 911 is wonderful car, but the setup must be top notch! I am driving it for a year now, I did something like 30 races in it and only 3 times had good setup :laugh: I must say I was learning how to setup a car from scratch, I had no experience before. But the 911 got the best out of me, because it really needs experienced engineer, which I am not and I still have a long way in front of me.

But if you get it right, then the car is a beast. It gets out of a corner really fast, in the straight line can keep up with Godzillas or Bulls and has fantastic brakes.

About the front tires @HF2000 there is not much you can do. The engine in the back won’t let you heat up fronts. You have to live with that and go “slow in, fast out” ;)

Although all have answered this, as I would see it too.

a) 10% TC 2
b) 10% TC 3
c) 20% TC 3
a) tighter tracks with short straight's
b) medium speed tracks medium straight's
c) a track with long straights

a) if I am for some reason I am uncomfortable with the car or there is going to be a close competitive race.

ABS:- 5 or 6 you will find stopping this bus difficult, need all the help you can get, do not want the
ABS to bog the braking down too much.:)

I must say @Spilskinanka

But if you get it right, then the car is a beast. It gets out of a corner really fast, in the straight line can keep up with Godzillas or Bulls and has fantastic brakes.

;)

It is the only car that I cannot deal with on the long straight, I am right behind, get a good exit, the 911 has been setup correctly, i.e. maximises its exit speed, gets its power down properly ( no slides ).

the Nissan will struggle to make anything on it.:(

I must say @Spilskinanka , that last week I felt so much more confidence in the car then this time. I just made a lot of driving mistakes, but the car was super stable in Atlanta. I didn’t know why, but I figured it out. It is the downforce.

In Atlanta I had 2 at front and 13 at the rear. But with that aero in America the car is too slow. The lowest driveable is 0 front 10 back. But then the rear end, especially in braking zone, is a bastard. Only slight braking force with some steer angle and the back end goes sideways. What helps to counter that is soft back (not great for drifting though) and brake balance more to the front, I have 69% right now. It doesn’t brake so well after that, but the car is stable and you can heat up fronts a bit at least.

Generally I must say the 911 is wonderful car, but the setup must be top notch! I am driving it for a year now, I did something like 30 races in it and only 3 times had good setup :laugh: I must say I was learning how to setup a car from scratch, I had no experience before. But the 911 got the best out of me, because it really needs experienced engineer, which I am not and I still have a long way in front of me.

About the front tires @HF2000 there is not much you can do. The engine in the back won’t let you heat up fronts. You have to live with that and go “slow in, fast out” ;)

Also as was already posted , not great for qualy, but the difference between qualy speed and race speed is small. At least from my experience. But that maybe because I set the car for race first, and then do adjustments for qualy.

Well, I'm in the Audi for the first time - no benchmark really so it's going to be a suck it and see experience.

Hopefully I can be consistent, if not fast, during the race and do OK from that.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%