Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I don't find the narrow FOV to be an issue. the thing is, you can move your head a degree and flick your eyes, it's only slightly inconvenient. A wider FOV would be better but it's not going to bring drastic improvements. When driving any car I try to keep my head pointed in the direction I want the car to go, so all I'm every doing is a quick glance to the sides. So 90% of the time I wouldn't be glancing off to the side to take advantage of that higher resolution.
I didn't ether but one hour use convinced me that it is a big difference!
Maybe not like triple monitors vs single monitor but same feeling I got when I went from a 24" monitor to a 34" UW.
Not kidding it makes a difference in that you sense speed better and you got a much better feel for the track layout.
Kind of driving without a ski mask.
I better stop or I talk myself into getting a Pimax:whistling:

My Rift S gives me the same feeling as in real life when you have a full-face helmet on. IRL, you have to turn your head too to be able to see in the mirrors. Where's the problem? For anybody who has never tried it, you'd be surprised how limited your vision is with a full-face helmet on.
The Bell helmet I used to use in my active racing days had a smaller opening than some other helmets, but even the helmets with a bigger opening weren't so much better. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:
So the Acer OJO is finally about to be released. The hardware looks decent if room scale isn't important to you. They are saying the price is about $450.

Meanwhile the XTAL appears to actually be released as well for about $5,000. Woo Hoo! LOL.

• Deleted member 197115

That's the old one (1440x1440), not ConceptD that was cancelled. Unless you found some new info.

Old in that the specs were released a while back? They said the product release date was delayed for many moons, but it is being released for the first time.

• Deleted member 197115

Making sure we are talking about same headset which is more than a year old and was available on Asian market.

There is also Acer OJO ConceptD with the same resolution as Reverb, this one was new but cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the chance to try the Pimax 5k+ and the valve index back to back and i must say, there is something to be said about the pimax fpr sims... that FOV... wow. Image is also quite clear. Sadly not good for business as tracking is horrible so we are reverting back to the rift for now. But wow. Impressed me more than the index (for simracing and disregarding the tracking issues).

Had the chance to try the Pimax 5k+ and the valve index back to back and i must say, there is something to be said about the pimax fpr sims... that FOV... wow. Image is also quite clear. Sadly not good for business as tracking is horrible so we are reverting back to the rift for now. But wow. Impressed me more than the index (for simracing and disregarding the tracking issues).

Were you running the large fov? It's quite impressive.

Do the Pimax tracking issues effect when we move our heads while racing?

I don't use lighthouses and I'd say the built in tracking in about 95% good. I have a button mapped to the wheel to reset center when needed. So you might get the occasional drift but it's nothing like you're sitting outside the car or facing backwards randomly.

Do the Pimax tracking issues effect when we move our heads while racing?
Once you are properly set up, no. But any interruption to the tracking can make you waste a few mins resetting the headset. Which doesn't happen in the rift or in the index. And it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. It doesn't even revert tp 3dof it just stops working. It caused a couple of crashes when it stopped working too. Not good for business.

Once you are properly set up, no. But any interruption to the tracking can make you waste a few mins resetting the headset. Which doesn't happen in the rift or in the index. And it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. It doesn't even revert tp 3dof it just stops working. It caused a couple of crashes when it stopped working too. Not good for business.

I would absolutely NOT recommend the Pimax in any commercial setting. Way too fickle.

So for those not aware, Pimax has produced a 120hz option for their 5k+ which I own. After a firmware update which fixed the reduced brightness bug, I gave it a test last night in Assetto Corsa. I kept all settings the same with Large FoV, 180% supersampling and all things same.

My findings:
- The FoV is reduced when using 120hz. Large is slightly smaller than Normal when not in 120hz more. This gives black borders which are quite noticeable to me
- There is additional clarity in the picture. The PQ is a notably cleaner and no detectable distortion. This is an absolute improvement
- The sense of speed is the same as 72/90/120 for me. I could not make out a major shift in feel between the 3 options
- The additional clarity also provides better distance/depth into the picture making it easier to position the car and lineup corner complexes
- The reduced fov means there's no performance penalty as the gpu budget simply shifts

Overall, the biggest improvement to me is the clarity it brought but I'm not too happy with the FoV loss. I'll play more but this really makes me look forward to future VR units with large fov and more clarity. Less so for higher hz.

• Deleted member 197115

Resolution is GPU, higher FPS (smaller frame time) is CPU and GPU, so it's not simple GPU shift.

Resolution is GPU, higher FPS (smaller frame time) is CPU and GPU, so it's not simple GPU shift.

If you're still having to render at a high resolution, there are a lot of pixels being pushed and being asked to do so at a high refresh rate.

If the pixel count was dramatically lower, the CPU would come more into play.

1080p 144hz has a notable impact on CPU thus you'll often see 1080p tests for cpu comparisons
1440p 144hz has shift the load towards gpu and you'll often see cpu's level out in demanding games and GPU's become the bottleneck
4k 144hz is mainly a gpu bound scenario

So yes, the CPU can play a bigger factor as the FPS goes up but it still is determined first by the number of pixels you're rendering and if that reduction in pixels is enough to move the bottleneck away from the GPU and bring the CPU more into the picture.

As always, test!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies