Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

There is no FOV VR adjustment in titles I know. It could be there in menu from flat screen settings but doesn't do anything in VR.
Some titles like R3E mentioned above have world scale setting, but it's different thing.

Hi, RC. I don't have a specific example. I tried 2 different Oculus models and the HTC Vive non-Pro multiple times over the past 2 or 3 years but each time was fairly brief. I just remember the 3D depth always seemed a little different each time. It was mostly Project Cars 1 and Assetto Corsa.

My memory is spotty to try and now remember what looked like what. I just remember thinking that a few times.

That's good to hear games allow FOV adjustments with VR. There are so many different VR headset brands and models, different screen shapes, sizes, lenses, etc. Those all mean the game will have to be set to a specific FOV to keep a 1:1 scale each particular headset (and along with that game-FOV also comes a specifc 3D depth to match). I don't understand how a player is sure they are using the correct game-FOV for their particular VR headset...Does the player just have to figure it out and set it themselves like with monitors? Does each game's developer have to program the different default FOVs and corresponding 3D depth setting for every headset out there?

You see what I mean? How are we supposed to know/check this for every sim we play if we want all sims to have consistent 1:1 scale from eachother? With monitors it's easy, you know the distance your eyes are from your monitor, plug that into a FOV calculator along with your monitor size and aspect ratio and it spits out the correct FOV to use or some games automatically do this when entering in your information into their triple screen setup tool (eg. iR, AC, PC2, RF2, and more).

How would we know what exact FOV to set our game to for a 1:1 scale when using "x" VR headset?
Not exactly per headset. Each headset works the same way and the resolution of the screen and size of it has little bearing in the final result after factory callibration. It is more of a problem of a "per SIM basis" raceroom in that regard is rather unique since it provides both an internal IPD adjustment and world scale. Most games just use world scale and use your headsets ipd to create a perfectly scaled world. Glasses might screw with this a bit as you will change the focal point slightly and so you need to adjust it in game. Contacts are fine since they are stuck to your eyes hence you can't tell the difference.

It is not different from adjusting fov in that regard, you need to do it once and just leave it.

Just tried something pretty cool out.

No Limits 2 is a roller coaster title and you can design your own and a number come preloaded. This is an experience where 120 fps is VERY noticeable over 90 fps.

With my NLRv3 I just cross my legs off the floor and take a ride. I know what the my friends little kids will be doing this holiday season when they come over :)

Last edited:
Cars were too big because the world scale starts too large. The internal IPD (software) is 63mm so when you multiply it by 1.00 if you, like me, have a large 68mm IPD, it makes the world look too big. You have to go up to 1.05 or change the internal IPD to the right value. Finicky but it is a Dx9 game running VR natively. I recently got back to it since you can do a long "campaign" from 2013 to modern days with different series and that is something I want to try out.
Can you elaborate on this one? Now that you mentioned it, the car looks indeed a touch too big by default. Where can I change the value you mentioned?

I got my oculus rift S today. I managed to do 7-8 laps with rfactor2. First impression is good. It’s really very comfortable and great sweet spot.
You can notice the improvement on the image clarity over the CV1 and less SDE.
The Audio is really bad but fortunately I ordered the
Bionik Mantis BNK-9007 of the PSVR and they fit perfectly with the Oculus S ( similar audio quality of the CV1 which was great ).
I was afraid of the outside inside tracking with my motion system but fortunately I didn’t have any tracking loss or cockpit drifting.
Overall I’m happy with it and I think it’s really an underrated headset. Overall a nice upgrade over the CV1.
1575396383439.jpg

I forgot to point out about the inside outside tracking and motion system.
I was very concerned about the oculus rift S tracking not working with motion system because of the tracking drifting or tracking loss but fortunately even with heavy motion I didn’t have any issues.

Last edited:
I forget to point out about the inside outside tracking and motion system.
I was very concerned about the oculus rift S tracking not working with motion system because of the tracking drifting or tracking loss but fortunately even with heavy motion I didn’t have any issues.

I think the Rift S has been shown to be an easy fit for motion systems and has less issues with EMI interference. When you add the fact that it has the best software support, best reprojection and lowest GPU load of all the new headsets, you end up getting consistent smooth performance. It really is a great headset for sim racers.

• Deleted member 197115

Does Oculus have the best reprojection, I have read some mixed reports on the subj?
Thought WMR edges it (at some performance expense).

Maybe it's more that the Oculus VR drivers in general appear to have the most efficiency. Of course part of that is due to running 80fps.

Right now I try to run 120fps native with reprojection turned off and if it drops a frame here and there, no biggie.

Been playing with iRacing's graphics settings and there are a couple settings that just kill your frame rates, but I can run high res cars and track with the highest level of anti aliasing and asotropic filtering and still keep a solid 118-120fps with a field of 20 cars. My graphics card is at about 80-85% and my CPU isn't even sweating. No core is above 60%.

It does appear that they are distributing the load when running AI cars.

Pimax 8K delayed again.
Normally you would be pretty annoyed about such a thing.
But Pimax history of mandatory delays is so absurd that I guess most people just shrug their shoulders and laugh.:rolleyes:

My own conclusion is that it is something cultural.
As I understand it from videos Pimax is a chinese company and eventhough they lately have hired a few european and american faces its obvious they fundamentally dont understand the impact of repeatedly lousy product management on a possible customer base.

If they instead of the plain lying marketing they again and again are practicing was honest in their communication they would get a lot more customers.
And probably also a lot more satisfied customers.:sneaky:

Rift S got lower resolution and running at lower frequency.
Rift St got 26% less load than a basic WMR and 40% power than the Samsung O+ headset.
Would be like saying that my old Hdk2 OSVR got more efficient drivers!;)

Your Valve Index put a 87% higher load on GPU/CPU @ 120 than the Rift S!

@RCHeliguy
We use to say in Denmark "the rowan berries are sour" when something we dont have ourselves "pisses" us off (in a humorous way;)).
And some of my own VR hindrance is exactly the g-card.
Hehe and CPU and Windows version.
Xeon x5670/GTX 1060/Win7

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Holy scheizze how expensive a 2080Ti is.:sleep:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back