Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I got my son an Odyssey plus for Christmas last year, and he is considering getting an Index now. I have seen his headset. The display looks prerty good.

The Index's off ear speakers add to the immersion a lot more than headphones do.

I haven't noticed glare in game, only during start up screens.

Last edited:
I have a PiMax 5k+ and I use my Samsung Odyssey+. The fundamental problem with the PiMax is that its wide view requires not just very precise adjustment of IPD but also precise placement in the Z axis as well. Alas PiMax provides no mechanism to get your face into the right place and for me it has severe distortions at the sides and top and bottom making it unusable. They have improved on the software side but it remains a mess. It just isn't a good experience combined with the major performance problems it has.

Beyond that PiMax is busy scamming its backers out of their kickstarter stretch goals currently so you they are a pretty scummy company as well.

I've been (mass)debating with myself over a new HMD, originally I was gonna wait for Gen2 but that still seems like years away so I've decided it's time to go Gen1.5 in the coming months in the slight hope they drop price in a Black Friday Sale!

Coming from the Rift CV1 anything would be a jump up with the only barrier being cost, thanks to the website below and reading reviews from both regular VR users & Sim Users I've narrowed it down to the Reverb or Index thus far, but things have time to change:

Rift S - Cheap but not a massive upgrade over the CV1
Index - Pricey as I'd need a Basestation but reviews are good
Pimax - I'm just not interested in this at all, reviews have been a bit dodgy and no Over-ear headphones means it's essentially a non-starter.
Reverb - Best of the Resolution Bunch, no need for Sensors/Basestations, Price is fairly decent.

I'm not interested in Roomscale/Controllers so Tracking being sat down shouldn't be an issue, PC Specs are unknown as I'll be buying that new as well at the same time, once I get that sorted in my Budget then that'll give me a better idea as to what HMD I can afford. Plenty of "Research" still to be made as I'm not in an instant rush to get one just yet, any more thoughts on the Index & Reverb would be most welcome :)

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/49868-specs-summary-rift-s-index-pimax5k-and-reverb/

I've been (mass)debating with myself over a new HMD, originally I was gonna wait for Gen2 but that still seems like years away so I've decided it's time to go Gen1.5 in the coming months in the slight hope they drop price in a Black Friday Sale!

Coming from the Rift CV1 anything would be a jump up with the only barrier being cost, thanks to the website below and reading reviews from both regular VR users & Sim Users I've narrowed it down to the Reverb or Index thus far, but things have time to change:

Rift S - Cheap but not a massive upgrade over the CV1
Index - Pricey as I'd need a Basestation but reviews are good
Pimax - I'm just not interested in this at all, reviews have been a bit dodgy and no Over-ear headphones means it's essentially a non-starter.
Reverb - Best of the Resolution Bunch, no need for Sensors/Basestations, Price is fairly decent.

I'm not interested in Roomscale/Controllers so Tracking being sat down shouldn't be an issue, PC Specs are unknown as I'll be buying that new as well at the same time, once I get that sorted in my Budget then that'll give me a better idea as to what HMD I can afford. Plenty of "Research" still to be made as I'm not in an instant rush to get one just yet, any more thoughts on the Index & Reverb would be most welcome :)

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/49868-specs-summary-rift-s-index-pimax5k-and-reverb/

I've got the Index now after having the Cv1 for a couple of years. In my opinion the Index is a huge step up and I love it, no regrets at all, but I've not tried the Reverb. Caveat being I have a 9900k and 2080ti so performance will vary on other hardware... Though it doesn't seem to be any more demanding than the CV1, but Oculus ASW seems to work better than Valve's motion smoothing.

The Index works with the old Vive base stations and you only need one so you could see if you could pick up one cheaper on ebay? I think the Index headset itself is great value, but the base stations and hand controllers are expensive.

I've got the Index now after having the Cv1 for a couple of years. In my opinion the Index is a huge step up and I love it, no regrets at all, but I've not tried the Reverb. Caveat being I have a 9900k and 2080ti so performance will vary on other hardware... Though it doesn't seem to be any more demanding than the CV1, but Oculus ASW seems to work better than Valve's motion smoothing.

The Index works with the old Vive base stations and you only need one so you could see if you could pick up one cheaper on ebay? I think the Index headset itself is great value, but the base stations and hand controllers are expensive.

Good thinking on the eBay option for a Basestation, they seem roughly half-price second hand which is fair enough, I'll remember that thanks :)

I love my Index and reviewed it on my YT channel for sim racing, and gave it flying colours. But for sim racing 'only' purposes, I have to mention the Samsung Oddessey and Plus, which seem to get forgotten. For price versus specs, it rates as the best sim racing headset for my money. One caveat, I haven't used this headset, but I feel there are enough reviews out there to make a good assessment.

I often play room-scale VR games, hence the Valve Index is the best option for my circumstances.

I love my Index and reviewed it on my YT channel for sim racing, and gave it flying colours. But for sim racing 'only' purposes, I have to mention the Samsung Oddessey and Plus, which seem to get forgotten. For price versus specs, it rates as the best sim racing headset for my money. One caveat, I haven't used this headset, but I feel there are enough reviews out there to make a good assessment.

I often play room-scale VR games, hence the Valve Index is the best option for my circumstances.

I did look at the Odyssey briefly but it appears to be non-existent in the UK and a PITA to ship over with additional costs, I'll keep an eye out on it though as you're right it's another one to throw in the mix :)

@MarcG I'm more than happy with my original, non + Odyssey although I did have to pay through the nose to get it here from the USA over a year ago.

Now that time has passed there are many more units that have made their way to the EU and you should be able to pick one up for relatively cheap, as @Jeremy Ford has mentioned.

If you do take the plunge, try to go for the Odyssey+ over the original. They are fantastic value for money when compared to either the Rift or Vive.

I did look at the Odyssey briefly but it appears to be non-existent in the UK and a PITA to ship over with additional costs, I'll keep an eye out on it though as you're right it's another one to throw in the mix :)

I imported mine with BigAppleBuddy, worth considering as they go down to $299 on sale and that is a price hard to beat.

• Deleted member 197115

Another two thumbs up for Odyssey+.
Head tracking is excellent, no SDE to speak of, good resolution, same as Vive Pro/Index, adjustable IPD, AMOLED displays with pitch blacks and great colors, good audio (AKG), no fuss inside out tracking setup.
Ergonomics could be better but VRCover face pad fixes that shortcoming completely.
At the price they sell it now, it's a no-brainer.
I am looking for upgrade myself, but honestly cannot see anything on the market now that can warrant ditching O+ except may be Reverb, but it comes with big bag of issues.
Had high hopes for Cosmos, which turned out a complete failure at launch.

Good luck with your hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resolution rendered ABSOLUTELY does not equal resolution viewed!

Headsets with the same resolution displays do not offer the same resolution to your eye. All headsets crop the sensor that you view, some more than others.

We got to see that in the Pimax vs XTAL comparisons. The XTAL was MUCH MUCH sharper with lots more detail because there is a lot more of the sensor actually being shown through the lenses.

In the same way the Index uses two elements in order to use a more of the sensor and create a sharper image than the others near it's FOV with the same rendered resolution.

In addition there is a large difference in the amount of resolution that looks clear to your eyeball as you look around without moving your head. In the Index you can look almost edge to edge inside the headset and see everything clearly. In most others you have to move your head to see things off center clearly.

Past that there is a field of view difference and the Index has about 25-30 degrees more horizontal FOV and a lot more vertically.

NOT an apples to apples comparison.

None of that takes away from the fact that the Odyssey+ is a good deal for a VR display, but simply saying their sensors are the same resolution does not indicate you see the same thing wearing them.

• Deleted member 197115

Index is clearer due to LCD RGB matrix, more subpixels but not as good blacks and colors.
I haven't seen anything suggesting that Odyssey does not utilize sensor size properly, unlike Pimax that's using only 75%
There will always be some loss of pixels due to lens distortion correction but in case of Pimax it's just the way it was designed for IPD correction. Index has larger FOV (for some users) due to ability to move screens super close to eyes and lowered stereo overlap.
If you have any materials showing Odyssey with Index pixels utilization comparison, please do share. Thanks.

My main issue with the Odyssey+ is the wide handband at the rear. You can't rest your head on the rest while racing and on my seat it pushes my head just a little as the rest is quite forward. I didn't have that issue on the vive due to the strap but on the other hand the Odyssey fits easier and looks a lot better. I think for racing you want the thin not as amazing straps for resting purposes but it is going to depend on your rigs seat.

I am looking for upgrade myself, but honestly cannot see anything on the market now that can warrant ditching O+ except may be Reverb, but it comes with big bag of issues.

I know a couple of people who have the latest Serial Versions of the Reverb released this Summer and they say the issues have been "fixed" over the first Batch Releases issues, so there's hope with that regard.

My main issue with the Odyssey+ is the wide handband at the rear. You can't rest your head on the rest while racing and on my seat it pushes my head just a little as the rest is quite forward. I didn't have that issue on the vive due to the strap but on the other hand the Odyssey fits easier and looks a lot better. I think for racing you want the thin not as amazing straps for resting purposes but it is going to depend on your rigs seat.

The Index is wide in the back as well with an adjustment knob center back.

The Rift didn't have an an issue and I'm guessing the Reverb with similar headband wouldn't have an issue there either.

• Deleted member 197115

Quite nice quality VR Stand. Looked for a while for one, this one seems like better than the rest, no 3D printed parts, all pieces fit together fine, good looking and would accommodate any HMD including controllers.

This new Pimax 8K X is looking really good

Just be aware Sweviver now works for PiMax, he isn't an independent reviewer anymore. He helped make their recent status update videos and help announce how PiMax would be screwing their backers out of eye tracking they had paid for. It is basically an ad and should be viewed as such.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back