Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
The point Andrew is making it that for sims external tracking at best offer no advantages over inside out tracking. So not only a not need expense but also a hassle an eyesore to install and have installed.
I know the lighthouses are approved by FFC and likely harmless but I am not keen to get and have my pets painted by laser all time ether!
On spec the Cosmos looks good but is it enough of an upgrade maybe to current Vive user but coming from a WMR headset I feel it is not enough.
For room scale users the wireless option must be a huge selling point?

• Deleted member 197115

Hands on impressions video from uploadvr, not much unfortunately but more positive than arse technica

More of a short controlled demo than a review!
Another pointless "VR Home"!
Never understood why they think that jumping around in a large house/ world trying to find out how to find and start the app you want to use are a good idea?
If I want to be lost, confused and unable to find anything I let my wife 'organize' my stuff.:D

We should be cheering for more players in the market. The VR arena is still in it's infancy and we need companies to compete and find different niche areas to play in.

If a product is lacking, it'll find it's own death sentence quickly enough. Personally, I hope the Cosmos kicks ass and makes other step up.

I agree and I'm all for new technology. I think there are a lot of market segments that need to be satisfied.

However, I think there is a big difference between rooting for VR to succeed and thinking HTC will continue to play a role in that success. I hope I'm wrong and HTC has a wild success and finds ways to push the envelope in this market.

Looks sharp to me, it was a bit on a blurry side after release before renderTargetScale was discovered and later on when 1903 broke it, not hardware fault.
Now it's better than ever as internal resampling buffer is unconstrained.
Some poor attempts to make through the lens pictures with with old renderTargetScale 2.0 and lower SS, it's quite a bit better now.
View attachment 324328 View attachment 324329

Granted RGB matrix will look sharper, but won't give you these blacks and colors. And look, no SDE. :)

Is that OD+?

I still have mine. Tempted to plug it back in and compare colors and IQ with the pimax 5k+

• Deleted member 197115

More of a short controlled demo than a review!
Another pointless "VR Home"!
Never understood why they think that jumping around in a large house/ world trying to find out how to find and start the app you want to use are a good idea?
If I want to be lost, confused and unable to find anything I let my wife 'organize' my stuff.:D
At least you can fully bypass it as video says.
I liked the features, ventilation, fan, flip up design, audio approach with isolating headphones that you can easily unclip to replace with something higher end, modularity for die hard external tracking fans, wireless dongle, build quality seems to be pretty nice too.
They even did not discard yet possibility of mobile tethering.
Hope they don't screw things up and visuals are not dissapointing, sweet spot, god rays. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, I dropped down to 90 fps in iRacing and turned up all of their Graphics settings to maximum.

With the clouds set to high, there were birds flying by. With the pit set high, the guy was fidgeting and other pit guys were talking. The level of detail was surprising.

You might want to check with a few of the guys here who have gone from the Pimax to the Index first. Either get a good deal on a used Pimax or consider the Index.
Thanks. I have a good deal here in my country. A an used Pimax 5k plus almost new . He wants 500$ for it but I have to add one lighthouse station because I have a 4 DOF motion system and for motion the station is a must. I recently updated my RX580 nitro with the rtx2080ti.

It’s similar to the oculus rift S but costs the double!

Some would see this as a physical IPD adjustment tax. Of course it also has better headphones and slightly better resolution and frame rate than the Rift S.

The Odyssey plus is probably a better reference point and on pure stats it's about the same in terms of just the headset.

The key differentiator is that the Cosmos has taken inside out tracking up a notch.

On a side note, since I started using an RTX 2080Ti, I have noticed a difference in the lighting while playing In Death. They haven't implemented full ray tracing based on the shadows being thrown by candles and other flames, but it has changed.

Last edited:
For commercial use they can analyze where you are looking.
It could be used for some kind of menu navigation.
Maybe it could help create an avatar with facial expressions that mimicked your own.
It think there are lots of potential uses for internal facing cameras and eye tracking.

For commercial use they can analyze where you are looking.
It could be used for some kind of menu navigation.
Maybe it could help create an avatar with facial expressions that mimicked your own.
It think there are lots of potential uses for internal facing cameras and eye tracking.
And increase in performance by keeping where you are looking super focused and the rest blurred to save on performance costs.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.