Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
In terms of dangerous stuff...

I had a friend of mine who actually created a VR application for flying your plane in zero visibility where many pilots freak out and do stupid things. Apparently by removing the offending murkiness and replacing it with a virtual horizon, people could land a plane without seeing anything.

However any bets on whether anyone would ever release a product like that?

I just finished a marathon session of In Death in room scale and got a fright for the first time in a while. I had a red knight come up right behind me and freaked me out. No one except virtual zombies were hurt.

With the Varjo VR-1 costing 6000 euros and promising human eye resolution, we could be 5 years away from running a 40 or 50 series NVidia GPU and having photo realistic imagery in VR.

Like StarVR the Varjo is still vaporware and has other limitations, FOV of 87 degrees, 60/90 fps, no headphones. Like StarVR it runs with the SteamVR base stations, but the Varjo requires 4 of them for some reason. Like the StarVR it has eye tracking. It also says it doesn't support Steam games at this point.

What is less obvious is how achieves human eye resolution at 60ppd, 3000 dpi using normal resolution panels. With 87 degrees FOV that would be an effective horizontal resolution of 5220 pixels.

"Bionic Display™ with resolution at over 20/20 vision (over 60 PPD / 3000 PPI), flicker-free screen refresh at 60/90 Hz. Combining two 1920x1080 low persistence micro-OLEDs and two 1440x1600 low persistence AMOLEDs."​

They also claim a GTX 1080 can push it.

Besides being expensive it also weighs over 600g without headphones.

They also have an XR-1 supposedly coming this year which is a real Mixed Reality headset. Unlike AR that has imagery painted on the surroundings, it uses it's cameras to display your surroundings in a VR type environment. It's 1315g with a counter weight and headband.

The XR-1 claims an RTX 2080 can push it.

With the Varjo VR-1 costing 6000 euros and promising human eye resolution, we could be 5 years away from running a 40 or 50 series NVidia GPU and having photo realistic imagery in VR.

Like StarVR the Varjo is still vaporware and has other limitations, FOV of 87 degrees, 60/90 fps, no headphones. Like StarVR it runs with the SteamVR base stations, but the Varjo requires 4 of them for some reason. Like the StarVR it has eye tracking. It also says it doesn't support Steam games at this point.

What is less obvious is how achieves human eye resolution at 60ppd, 3000 dpi using normal resolution panels. With 87 degrees FOV that would be an effective horizontal resolution of 5220 pixels.

"Bionic Display™ with resolution at over 20/20 vision (over 60 PPD / 3000 PPI), flicker-free screen refresh at 60/90 Hz. Combining two 1920x1080 low persistence micro-OLEDs and two 1440x1600 low persistence AMOLEDs."​

They also claim a GTX 1080 can push it.

Besides being expensive it also weighs over 600g without headphones.

They also have an XR-1 supposedly coming this year which is a real Mixed Reality headset. Unlike AR that has imagery painted on the surroundings, it uses it's cameras to display your surroundings in a VR type environment. It's 1315g with a counter weight and headband.

The XR-1 claims an RTX 2080 can push it.
Might get it just to train for boxing. 600g over a 2 hour stint will give your neck muscles quite a workout.

• Deleted member 197115

Not sure how trustworthy the source is, but here it goes.
Vive Cosmos official full reveal and preorders start Sep-12th, estimated price $775-635, shipping end of September.
Link

Anyone used these $108AU delivered
https://vroptician.com/
+ $50AU for blue filter ?
My son bought the Rift version of those glasses. Terrible. They fell out too easily (clamping method is badly designed) and the lenses didn't match the prescription my son had given: the image wasn't sharp. Wasted money.
My son and I both use lenses made by Zenni Optical in a 3D printed frame now; this works perfectly.
Blue filter isn't necessary.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back