Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
And increase in performance by keeping where you are looking super focused and the rest blurred to save on performance costs.

Remember that there's a difference between basic eye tracking and foveated rendering. Basic eye tracking does just that - it just detects which part of the screen you're looking at which can be useful for selecting menu options or targeting in action games. Foveated rendering causes the area your looking at to be rendered at a higher resolution whilst the rest of the scene is lower resolution saving processing power.

• Deleted member 197115

Pimax new VR headsets are coming soon to with 8K native resolution and eyes tracking.
yay1.gif

Rift S should never have been released or at least not that that price.
Wonder if they will be able to up the display from 72 Hz to 90 Hz.
Also apart from current quest owners and a some die hard fan boyz I am not sure who they target as consumers.
Oculus went from leader of the pack to back stopper in a couple of years that is really sad fact as we could really use a VR company that would test the limited's of VR design.
Not a Apple fan but maybe they will come out with something that will move the market forward.

Rift S should never have been released or at least not that that price.
Wonder if they will be able to up the display from 72 Hz to 90 Hz.
Also apart from current quest owners and a some die hard fan boyz I am not sure who they target as consumers.
It will be aimed at anyone looking for a headset. While it's not leaps and bounds above the original rift it is a neater slightly updated headset and you sort of have no option but to buy it or the Vive equivalent.

The VR industry is in a bit of a deadlock, it can't advance because there isn't the hardware to run high resolutions. So there's no point in them making better headsets. No company is going to invest in a product that won't sell.

The VR industry is in a bit of a deadlock, it can't advance because there isn't the hardware to run high resolutions. So there's no point in them making better headsets. No company is going to invest in a product that won't sell.

Exactly. When Valve released the Index they made comments about it being for enthusiasts and didn't aim it at the main stream users in terms of price or hardware requirements to run it well.

For that matter I know a bunch of guys who absolutely love their Rift S's for sim racing, so I think it has a market, is priced where people can afford it and it doesn't require a massive chunk of CPU/GPU to run it pretty well.

Just because it isn't what I wanted doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in the market.

• Deleted member 197115

What besides price makes Index aimed at enthusiasts?
Is it harder to run than Odyssey, Rift S, Vive Pro, Pimax, or any other gen 1.5 headset?

Also, nowadays anyone who has time, energy, and money to deal with VR limitations is an enthusiast in a sense. What makes Index enthusiast more enthusiastic than WMR or Pimax user?

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be aimed at anyone looking for a headset. While it's not leaps and bounds above the original rift it is a neater slightly updated headset and you sort of have no option but to buy it or the Vive equivalent.
So the Quest will be $399 + $79 for the Link and you will only be close to a PC VR experience according this:
https://uploadvr.com/oc6-oculus-link-quest-rift-s/
Compare that to a $299 Samsung O+ Which are heaps and bounds way better
Had they made it wireless they might have had a seller.

Maybe the Oculus Rift 2 will be something new and advanced but kind of losing faith in Oculus with the intellectual drain they have had the last couple of years.

While it is true that for our little VR sim world the CPU/GPU are lacking behind or maybe it is the software?
It is far from true in the general VR gaming world.
Quest should be a $200 headset and Rift S maybe $250 then they would sell.
And yes I have use a Rift S several times even on my sim rig.
Also tried a Quest but only a couple of times over a weekend. Found it good fun but didn't really enjoy the poor games and blurry experience but get that is due to the low powered CPU.

While it is true that for our little VR sim world the CPU/GPU are lacking behind or maybe it is the software?
It is far from true in the general VR gaming world.
Hadn't thought of the Samsung but they all seem much of a muchness to me and I think that's because they all know there's no point in making a higher resolution one.

At the moment developers are mostly making separate VR only titles as far as I can tell, the developers that have the ability to turn on VR in their games like sim racing games are the ones having issues. VR will always be an issue for developers if they have to choose between making a VR game or a standard single screen game. It will also be an issue for us if we are basically just looking to double the work load on our PCs.

I think hardware needs to take another big leap for VR to work. At the moment there just isn't the overhead for VR versions of games. So they have to be specially made to be a VR experience.

I haven't bothered to even see what is going on at Oculus Connect. I guess I'm pretty well in a holding pattern until the next big NVidia, or Intel release so that may be a little while. I suspect about 6-9 months for Intel and another year for NVidia although I'm sure rumors will be flying well before any release dates.

I haven't bothered to even see what is going on at Oculus Connect. I guess I'm pretty well in a holding pattern until the next big NVidia, or Intel release so that may be a little while. I suspect about 6-9 months for Intel and another year for NVidia although I'm sure rumors will be flying well before any release dates.
I'm planning on getting a 2070 at some stage over the next month or two. All I'm really looking for is better performance in ACC. My expectation is that the 2070 will give me good performance on my oculus rift but I don't know that it would be enough for a VR headset with a higher resolution, so I'm going to be tied to the rift for another two years or more once I get this card.

I think it will take at least another generation of graphics card after the current RTX cards, maybe two, before the hardware is fast enough, cheap enough and common enough for a higher resolution headset to hit the market.

I think that headset will probably be like the jump to HD, the resolution will probably be high enough to put the screen door and blockiness issues to bed and the resolution specs won't be as much of an issue. That's the point I think that other manufactures will jump in and prices will fall making it more mainstream.

What besides price makes Index aimed at enthusiasts?
Is it harder to run than Odyssey, Rift S, Vive Pro, Pimax, or any other gen 1.5 headset?

The Index is better than they are and does requires more power if you want to run it at the 120 and 144 fps it is capable of. It also does cost more because it has better build quality, is better engineered, with better audio, is extremely comfortable etc.. works great with glasses, has a huge in focus area to look around in without moving your head, is extremely easy to get in and out of because of the way it hinges, has excellent clarity across a large area, etc.. etc..

So yes, enthusiast.

When I have people over like tomorrow evening and a few people are playing with it, the magnetic face gaskets ( I have 3 ) are extremely easy to swap out between sweaty players. Basically everything about the Index is a big step up and works better for a VR enthusiast.

Everything about it screams enthusiast. Sorry it isn't your cup of tea.

For sim racers other headsets can work well, but for a VR enthusiast who also plays room scale the differences are HUGE!

It is the ABSOLUTE best VR system for any shooting game. The tracking accuracy and higher frame rate make a huge difference and it arguably does a better job at many other titles.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 83 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 66 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.2%